Need Help with Money in Scotland

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with Money in Scotland

I am traveling to Scotland next month, and I was looking on the internet about money in the UK when I saw this.

“Scottish bank notes are not legal tender in Scotland. Only coins constitute legal tender in Scotland. English bank notes are only legal tender in England, Wales, The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. In Scotland, 1 pound coins are legal tender to any amount, 20ps and 50ps are legal tender up to 10 pounds; 10p and 5ps to 5 pounds and 2p and 1p coins are legal tender to 20p (separately or in combination). 2 pounds coins and (if you can get hold of one) 5 pound coins are also legal tender to unlimited amounts, as are gold coins of the realm at face value (in Scotland at least).”

Is this accurate? I also read that there are three banks in Scotland that make their own notes: Bank of Scotland, Royal Bank of Scotland, and Clydesdale Bank. “Only the Royal Bank prints pound notes. All the banks print 5,10,20 and 100 notes. Only the Bank of Scotland and Clydesdale Bank print 50 pound notes.”

This seems very confusing. Do the notes look the same from each of the banks or are do they look different? Is there a website where I can see the different notes? I have found some pictures, but I don’t know if they are current.

Also I read that the UK issued new coins this year. Are the old ones still in circulation?

bgc
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 06:16 PM
twk

Not an expert on the subject, but I do have some first hand experience. The "legal tender" issue is something you don't need to be concerned about. The only thing you need to be aware of is spending or exchanging Scottish bank notes in other parts of the UK or other countries. If your entire trip is to Scotland, just make sure you do your conversion at the airport before you leave. If you're heading elsewhere in the UK, or to another country, try to either spend or exchange your money before leaving Scotland.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 06:50 PM

If you're landing in Scotland, no problem. Get cash from an ATM with your debit card as soon as you arrive.

If your next stop is somewhere else in the UK, convert any remaining Scottish bank notes to BofE notes or pound coins before traveling.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I am going to England first, then to Scotland.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:38 PM

twk is right about "legal tender".

It's one of those legal terms that doesn't mean what people think it means. The sentence you've read might be accurate (though that depends on which jurisdiction's definition the writer had in mind), but utterly irrelevant to real life.

Notes issued by Scottish banks are the same size and colour as the corresponding UK note. If you want to see them go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknot...pound_sterling, but in practice you'll recognise them instantly.

Scottish banknotes can be tricky to get accepted outside Scotland, and often impossible to exchange for foreign currencies even at banks outside the UK. Don't sweat too much: they're generally fine at railway stations, motorway service areas, airports and big shops elsewhere in the UK. Just don't assume a backstreet newagent in England will accept a £50 Scottish note.

There's beegn no significant coin change recently. The designs change every now and again: the size and shape only every few decades. All coins now in circulation follow the same size and metal rules. You won't be given an invalid British coin: you might have someone palm a foreign coin off on you. Just live with it.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, flanneruk.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 02:08 AM

Now I'm really confused.

From this thread, I think I understand that British Pounds are not "legal tender" in Scotland, and they have to be exchanged for Scottish bank notes. On the other hand, I checked my currency converter site and didn't find an entry for a "Scottish currency"...so I assume there is none. Is there an exchange rate for "Scottish bank notes"?

Can I use British Pounds in Scotland, or do I absolutely have to exchange them for Scottish notes?
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 02:18 AM

Either Bank of England notes or Scottish notes are accepted anywhere in Scotland. Don't worry about the status of 'legal tender'. It means nothing for everyday transactions.
Scottish notes should also be accepted in England, and mostly you have no trouble, except in some out-of-the-way places or if it's big (say £50 or £100 - rarely seen). Even then, any bank will exchange them free for Bank of England notes.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 02:23 AM

British pounds (GBP) are issue by the Bank of Englang which confusingly is actually the main British bank and looks after the banking interest of the country as a whole.
in Scotland the three main banks
Bank of Scotland ,Royal bank of Scotland and Clydsdale bank all issue their own bank notes are are all widely found in the country.
bank of England notes are also widely found and all will be accepted wherever you go.
In many places in England the notes from the various Scottish banks are often accepted though as other have said in the smaller places they may not accept them.
some enlightened countries in Europe will exchange Scottish notes but usually at a slightly lower rate than English notes.
If you still have Scottish notes when leaving the country any bank or travel exchange will change them to Bank of England notes for no charge .
Coins are valid anywhere in the country.
It is worth looking at both notes and coins as they often have special editions commemerating different events.there was a Bank of Scotland £5 note issue a few years ago commemerating the achievments of Jack Nicholas and it has become a real collectors item amoung golfers.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 05:18 AM

Thanks. I'm reassured now and less confused.

While in Scotland, If I pay with British pounds, is there a possibility that businesses will try to give me change with Scottish notes??
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 05:28 AM

It's virtually certain. The Scottish for real money, BTW, is "English notes"

It gives unnecessary offence to decline Scottish change. Don't do so, unless it's really necessary. You then need to grovel.

Scotland being part of Britain, at least five "pleases", two "would you mind terriblys" and a dozen "thank you: that was very helpful" are essential. Scotland being Scotland, though, a couple of cheap gibes about the English go down well while you're at it.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 05:48 AM

the likehood of actualy meeting a Scots person serving you in a shop ,cafe,resturant or bar in Scotland is pretty slim.You can ask for English notes in your change and most folk won't take offence.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 09:26 AM

To be clear - the term "legal tender" only applies to that which you must accept in payment for a debt.
This means you cannot insist on paying in pennies (there is a max number of coins) or Zimbabwean dollars.
It has no effect in a live transaction, where the vendor may accept or refuse any form of payment.

"cheap gibes" are not acceptable anywhere.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 03:39 AM

Actually, although Flanner tee's me off on this Scots/English thing a lot of the time, he was spot on with that last post. I would however exchange "witty remarks" for "cheap gibes"

The only reason there's an issue with Scots notes in Englandshire is because people don't recognise them. It's not likely to be a problem in London or other big cities.

Oddly, I've never exchanged Scottish notes overseas. In the old days I got my foreign currency direct from the Bank. Nowadays I get it from an ATM whereever I happen to be.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 04:44 AM

"Oddly, I've never exchanged Scottish notes overseas."

We found ourselves in Zimbabwe a few years ago with no way of paying for our lunch (credit cards didn't work, couldn't get any Zimbabwean dollars).
All we had was about 20 pounds in Scottish notes, but the lady at the Bureau de Change wouldn't believe the notes were British money as they didn't have the Queen's picture on!