Reload this Page >

UK lake district for a teenager?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Russell

We're hoping to spend a week or so in York and the Lake District in late June/early July. My 16-yr-old daughter is trying to figure out what she will do on this trip. We're planning to do some walking through the countryside and poking around the villages. I'm wondering what kinds of things might be especially appealing to a teenage girl in this area. All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Adventuretwin

If your daughter enjoys hiking, there are endless trails in the Lake District. Mountain biking is also available if she's so adventerous. (It's fairly easy to hook up with a group to do a ride. Check in with the local bike shop.) The only reason I ever went to York was to shop. Surely she can get into that!

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Ruth

Also, if she's an adventurous type, there are sailing schools and horseback riding stables all over the Lake District.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 02:15 PM
kam

Spent the summer of my 17th year in the Lake District. If she loves horses, she'll be in heaven. I rode almost everyday at a stable in Windermere but there are lots of others.Even if she doesn't ride, there are lessons to take and quiet rides to go on. There should be boating things on the lakes. If she liked Beatrix Potter, her home is in the Lake District--some 16 year olds still love the animals and books. York will be more interesting if she reads some of the history of the War of the Roses. A guided walking tour of York is a good way to learn about it. Some pretty mean queens and kings once lived there! Almost everywhere there are little opportunities for shopping. Lake District is beautiful if she has any interest in photography. For one week I don't think you'll run out of things to do.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 02:33 PM
allcreatures

Another suggestion if she likes animals...the World of James Herriot<BR>in Thirsk. It's a reasonable distance from York and would make a nice half-day trip. His former home and surgery<BR>have been transformed into a museum. There are historical exhibits as well as personal mementos. It's quite nice and tastefully done.<BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:10 PM
David White

York is a walled, medieval city with a wonderful cathdral, lots of shops , a good transportation museum, etc. My daughter was 14 when we did this trip and she enjoyed most of it. Stop in at Betty's, one of the best tea/lunch rooms in the area (if you daughter is bored, she can go directly across the street and hang out at Borders Books).<BR><BR>The Yorkshire Dales--which you would probably drive though on your way from York to the Lake District--is beautiful. The James Herriot connection has already been mentioned, but don't forget Wallace and Grommet (the Wensleydale Cheese and all that...IF you "know" these Claymation characters). <BR><BR>The Lake District is a great outdoors location--walking, mountain climbing, boating, etc. are a main reason for coming here. The scenery is superb. And the literary connections, Beatrix Potter and Wordsworth among them, are a reason that some visitors come here. If your daughter is adventurous, hang gliding lessons are popular (!). <BR><BR>Be sure to visit Castlerigg Stone Circle, near Keswick. It is one of the most dramatically set stone circles in Britain. Hadrian's Wall is just north of the Lake District proper. This is the Roman Wall that separated England from the clans of Scotland. If your daughter has any interest in Roman history, archeology, etc. this is a world class site.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.<BR><BR>David White<BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:20 PM
larry

I think the lak district is perfectly suited for a teenager provided she is dull and content to twiddle her thumbs while her boring parents crawl through the countryside. Teenagers HATE this kind of trip and most would admit they would rather spend the summer locked in the attic than go anywhere with their parents.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:27 AM
andrew

Russell - Another thought for your daughter in the Lake District is the beautiful village of Grasmere. Try the famous Grasmere gingerbread (delicious!) and visit the attractive shops then walk around the lake. You could also visit Wordsworth's cottage if you are interested.<BR><BR>Another thought is Keswick a larger town by Derwentwater which you can take boat rides on. Your daughter may also like an excellent chocolate shop called something like "The Three Friars" there<BR><BR>I second David White's suggestion of visiting Betty's tearooms in York - try a "warm fat rascal"! (a fruit scone)<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip and people of all ages like the Lake District.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Russell

Actually, my daughter tends to be quite active, having traveled extensively abroad from the time she was a toddler. Horseback riding has been appealing in the past and may well pique her interest once again. Boating, hiking, and the walking tour of York also make sense. I've heard York has some wonderful ghost walks as well. Then, too, there's Betty's, Beatrix Potter, and a handful of other possibilities, not to mention shopping, and it sounds like mom and dad might actually get a thank you. Now if we can only convince a teenage friend to come along, it may turn out to be a fine trip. Many thanks to all.