Search

UK for 25 days -- Itinerary Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK for 25 days -- Itinerary Ideas?

Hello, all,

My family (husband, wife, 14 y.o., 12 y.o. 10 y.o.) will be arriving in London on July 28th and departing August 22nd. We would like to explore the UK over the course of those 25 days, but we don't know how much is feasible.

We have thought of doing 2 days in London, then renting a car, driving through Wales, and heading to the western part of Scotland, then looping back down to Edinburgh. From there, we would fly to Dublin, rent a car, do a loop westward, then return before flying back to London.

If you had 25 days, what would you focus on (and what would you eliminate)? And, would you rent a car for most of it, or would you use train and ferries (and busses?) instead?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gabe Gonzalez

Silver Spring, MD
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 01:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just time for a quick comment right now - w / 25 days at that time of year, I'd be tempted to spend the entire ti e in the UK and skip Ireland. You are talking less than 4 weeks and you probably want to spend close to a week in London. Assuming some time in rural England, maybe york, maybe the lake district, 4 or 5 days in north Wales, and 10-14 days in Scotland - that is more than 25 days right there.

I wouldn't go to Ireland unless I could spend at least 10 day to two weeks (the travel is very slow and there is a lot to see)

But you will also have the 'Edinburgh problem'. In August the city more than doubles in size and accommodations more than double in price (because of the festivals and Tattoo)

I'd maybe start in Edinburgh for 3 days before the fringe gets going full force, then 8-10 days in other Peres of Scotland, then Hadrian's wall, York, north wales, some other area in england an finish up in London.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 01:15 PM

You know Dublin isn't in the UK, yes?
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 01:36 PM

two days tells me that London isn't important to you so skip it and head straight to Scotland as janisj says

I'd hire a car to get the best out of the countryside
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 01:42 PM

Oh Jeeze, I didn't even see the 2 days bit. Unless you've been to London many times, two days in London is a total waste of time/money. The city is ENORMOUS with tons of things for families.

Unless you just want a 'chill and recover from jet lag' stopover, you need much more time in London.

Either spend time there . . . Or skip it.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 01:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Assuming you are flying out of as well as into Edinburgh, I would fly straight to Edinburgh from London, [hopefully to avoid the worst of the crowds that jj has warned you about], and once you've spent some time there, rent a car, and work your way back to London.

assuming you spend 5 nights in Edinburgh, you've time for a few nights in 2 or 3 of the following:

the Lake district, the Yorkshire dales, North Wales, the Marches, the Peak District, the Cotswolds.

if you ended in Oxford or Bath, say, you could return your car there and catch the train to London to finish your trip.

I agree with jj that you don't really have time for Ireland as well.

you need to know that you are going to be here in the middle of the school summer holidays, so it will be essential to book accommodation in advance. lots will have already gone, so it would be a good idea to get cracking on this asap.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 02:11 PM

Being summer, you should definitely head down to Cornwall! Marazion is a charming little town with an enormous beach to play on. St. Ives is another beach town with waves and surfers. Penzance (where the pirates are from), Porthleven, Mousehole are a few more amazing little towns. The entire area is magical. You can take a 20 minute flight (cheap!) over to the Isles of Scilly, which your kids would absolutely find thrilling and love. The Minnack Theatre sits right on the coast and is the most spectacular setting to see a play.

We've been to Cornwall a few times now and it's not nearly as touristy as many of the other cities , it's rustic with the feel of "Olde England," and I think kids the ages of yours would love it.

Also, if you are in the area of Bath or Stonehenge, check out Longleat. Kids would love, love love it. From what I understand, the Marquess of Bath created this attraction to help pay for his immense estate. It's a safari park and hedgerow maze. The hedgerow maze is serious. As in, you can get lost for hours. I took my kids when they were 12 and 14 and they thought it was the coolest thing ever. The safari park is nuts, we were feeding camels out of our the window and monkeys were climbing on our car...we don't have things like that in the US. http://www.longleat.co.uk/explore/ad...ark/hedge-maze
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 02:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
jglags - I'm so glad that you like Cornwall [where I live] so much.

I was dubious about recommending it to the OP as it's a long way from Edinburgh and it seemed difficult to work them both into a sensible itinerary though thinking about it, there are flights from Edinburgh to Newquay with Flybe.

it could be done- after Edinburgh as above, fly to Newquay, pick up a car, spend a week in Cornwall around Penzance/Marazion area, and another week in North Devon [which I love even more than Cornwall if I'm honest] or Bristol if you'd like to experience another city in England, then drop the car off at a convenient place eg Exeter, and get the train back to London.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 02:33 PM

Annhig...how lucky you are! Once we found Cornwall, we cannot stay away! We have dear friends in Marazion and have taken planes, trains and automobiles (in one day!) to get there from wherever we may be in Europe! We've barely scratched the surface there and can't wait to return!
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 04:37 PM

The OP has provided a suggested route - but no info on a couple of very important things we need to know to give sensible advice:

What are your interests? Do you want to do lots of outdoor activities (hiking, etc) or do you want to do typical tourist activities? Just countryside or also castles, cathedrals, charming villages, museums.

Have you already spent time in London? If not less than 5 days (6 nights) doesn't make a lot of sense if you want to see major sights.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

We have been to London before so just want a couple of days to show the kids a few sites. Our preference would be to do more outdoor activities -- walking, bike rides, castles, etc. Not too many museums or cathedrals, but definitely some castles.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the great advice so far. Cornwall seems worth a second look!
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 03:05 PM

Here's the thing: your statement that "We have been to London before so just want a couple of days to show the kids a few sites" implies that the hobbits have NOT been to London.

And if they have not, then a couple of days there will be a real disappointment. London is catnip for hobbits, even if you are (somehow) satiated.
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

We are now thinking to do three week-long stays in small towns, rather than move around a lot.

We all seem keen on the Isle of Skye, so that would be the spot in Scotland (maybe fly straight from Heathrow to Glasgow the first day and then rent a car and drive out there). Finding a place for five people seems a bit tricky so far, though, so perhaps something near Isle of Skye would be more manageable.

In England or Wales, we would love a small town/village where we could walk to the bakery, the local pub, etc., and do some short trips/walks/biking nearby (Chipping Campden sounds ideal, but I have no idea what it's really like).

In Ireland, for genealogical reasons, we are thinking of Sligo or Donegal areas.

So, if anyone has thoughts on quaint, small towns where we could situate ourselves and get a feel for local life, we would appreciate your suggestions!

Many thanks, again!
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

And, to all, we know London has so much to offer, but the family is wanting the more rural vacation this time, so I think we will take the suggestion not to even attempt it on such a short time schedule and save it for a different trip (likewise for Edinburgh, especially as it will be in Fringe mode at the time).
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 07:44 PM

Are you looking at self catering (the UK name for vacation rentals) or are you looking for hotel/B&Bs? It should not be hard to find one sleeping 5 (sleeping 6 is more common than 5 - but the price differential would be minimal - so look for sleeping 6)

Staying 'near Skye' isn't that great an idea if you want to explore mostly Skye. The travel on the island can be quite slow - lots of single track roads.

While Skye is wonderful - I'm not sure I'd base there for a week. for one thing - not many castles on Skye. There is wonderful scenery in many different regions of Scotland so maybe study up a bit on some other areas . . . You still might decide Skye is your best bet.

As for Wales -- someplace like Conwy would be good. Services/pubs/etc but still not big.

For the Cotswolds (one of my favorite parts of England but not all that much that would excite the kids really) I'd look in Burford or Chipping Campden. But honestly -- someplace in North Yorkshire or Northumberland would have more of what your are looking for.

For this sort of trip you definitely will need a car.
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 12:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"the Marquess of Bath created this attraction to help pay for his immense estate"

nah, he had to pay for the wifelets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexand...rquess_of_Bath
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, janisj!
Old Apr 8th, 2014, 07:49 AM

As for Wales -- someplace like Conwy would be good. Services/pubs/etc but still not big>

Conwy is neat - the iconic walled town with castle - just really really cute - but some folks may find it too quiet (or just right quiet!) - I based for North Wales in Llandudno, just opposite Conwy on a peninsula jutting out into the sea.

This was one of Britain's premier seaside resorts and now is one of Britain's fading seaside resorts but a lively one and loads and loads of inexpensive B&Bs if budget is a priority. Great train and bus links like Conwy, just a few miles away.

Don't miss the Great Orme - take the antique tramway up this mini-mountain to see wild goats and a view for miles and miles around - indeed you can even see Blackpool, way across the water!

A desolate kind of landscape up top - some ruins but just a thrill - I walked up and down but the old tram make sit easy getting up here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=grea...=1600&bih=1075