Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

UK Experts: What is the estimated driving time/distance London-York city? Lodging in city of York.

Search

UK Experts: What is the estimated driving time/distance London-York city? Lodging in city of York.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Thyra

Hello There, thanks for responding, we are travelling next month to visit my sister in law in Hull, but plan to spend time in York. (we are driving up on a Tuesday afternoon. Also would be interested In B & B's/small hotels in York City? And ONE more thing. Interesting towns historical sights between the two (have been to Warwick and Stratford so something different)???? Thanks for help

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Bobbi

You might try www.mapquest.co.uk for driving directions and times.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Thyra

Thanks Bobbi, just did that and found it! Anyone got ideas for lodging and/or towns inbetween? Thanks in advance.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Rex

Just one curious little thing about the &quot;search engine&quot; here. The Boolean operator &quot;not&quot; DOES work here (as opposed to &quot;does NOT work&quot; here!)<BR><BR>Therefore, &quot;york not new&quot; will retrieve items about york - - but omit those that mention &quot;new york&quot;.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Patti

HI Thyra,<BR><BR>I can recommend the Bronte Guest House, 22 Grosvenor Terrace, phone:+44 1904 621066, Fax: +44 1904 653434. Stayed there in the summer, had a big and beautiful single for 35 GBP/night, with an excellent breakfast. Yes, it is outside the city walls but just about a five minute walk to Bootham bar. I originally found them on smoothhound.co.uk--you can get more info there.<BR><BR>Patti<BR><BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Thyra

Patti.. OK.. call me a California girl, but there must be some weird thing going on here.. about 2 hours ago.. (before I saw your post) I booked the Bronte Guest house through York Tourist Booking agency.. nice to have a recommendation to back it up Thanks SOO much, what are the odds?.. now has anyone been to Nottingham?? OR is that a different post??.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Christy

My hubbie and I stayed in Nottingham on the way to York 2 summers ago, and we stayed in a little town called Ragnall. The B&amp;B was called Ragnall House, and it was pleasant, with a good breakfast. It was about 20 minutes out of town.<BR><BR>Nottingham itself is a nice little town, not so big to be dirty, not so little to be boring

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 03:37 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:20 PM
myles

i work in Nottingham we here would call it a city<BR> things to see in the city are the castle the oldest pub in england the trip to jerusalem, the caves, goose fair in october. not far is the wonderful countryside of derbyshire.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Thyra

Thank you very much Myles and Christy for the good advice. Nottingham was where I thought we would stop on the way up to York.. (break up the trip a little bit). During February, do you suppose I could go to a Tourist info, mid-week and secure a B &amp; B?? I don't want to book in advance in case we decide on someplace else.. I've already booked London of course,, and York.. but what is your opinion on Nottingham?? And thanks so much for your responses so far.. I am counting the days. No.. I lied, make that the hours .

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Shannon

We really enjoyed stopping in Lincoln between York and London. Fabulous cathedral, castle, and old town.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Christy

I really enjoyed Nottingham, it was a nice little town (ok, its a city, but I'm from Miami and Detroit, so its a town to me )<BR><BR>We only stayed the day, but it was a nice one. If you have any teenage boys, there is a factory for the Warhammer 40,000 figures there that has a museum they might enjoy (its a scifi/fantasy wargame that uses figurines and model terrain).

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Ani

Also in York--The Four Seasons Hotel (really a lovely victorian b&amp;b )...is amazing...and there are SOOOOO many posts stating the same on this forum...

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Gordon R

Interesting places to see on the way depend on what route you take. If you head up the A1, you could easily take in the town of Stamford in Lincolnshire, famous for its 18t century architecture and nearby Burghley House. Or, there's the possibility of a quick detour to Cambridge. Lincoln, a little further north is also worth a stop for the Cathedral and historic centre. <BR><BR>If you go up the M1 instead, there's the option of short detours to Warwick and the Peak District near Matlock.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Thyra

Thanks to all who reponded! Thank you very much Gordon, most likely we will be sticking to the M1... but we may take a detour. Lincoln cathedral I have wanted to see for ages... anyway, thanks so much for all of your helpful posts, I shall be sure to 1: post more questions as the time gets closer and 2 post a mini-trip report upon my return. Happy travels, if any of you are brave/crazy enought to visit Los Angeles, email me directly with questions and hopefully I can return the favor.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 10:12 AM
kitty

I agree on how wonderful the Four Seasons Hotel is. It is a small B&amp;B in a lovely home with wonderful owners. Again, do a search and you'll my and other peoples opinions on this lovely B&amp;B.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 03:30 PM
m8

http://www.multimap.com/home.html is another excellent site for directions, journey planning and travel times for drivers in the UK. have a good trip!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:32 AM
Patti

Wow Thyra, that IS weird! Something new--psychic travel info!<BR><BR>I think you'll like the Bronte House. If you're looking for a day trip from York, Castle Howard is an amazing manor house that's not too far away (Brideshead Revisited was filmed there.)<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR><BR>Patti<BR><BR>