Search

UK Border checks.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2023, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK Border checks.

Hello.

We travelled from Amsterdam-Britain-Ireland last year. There were severe security checks at the Dutch-UK border. Less so at the UK-Ireland border.

Perhaps someone could tell us if the checks at the Dutch-UK border were as a result of the UK being an external country or was it because we were travelling by Eurostar ?

Travel between the UK and Ireland is smoother because of the CTA, despite the UK being an external country. So we can't tell if the difference at the Dutch-UK border was due to the Eurostar or otherwise.
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 06:05 AM

UK and Ireland form a travel zone, so have minimal checks. Ireland is not a Schengen country but is an EU country.
The Netherlands to UK means leaving the EU and the Schengen to a third country so checks are stricter and will only get more so in the course of this year.
Leaving (or entering) any Schengen country from a non Schengen country requires more checks. They were passport checks not security checks. thought the Eurostar does have strict security also as is to be expected going though the Tunnel.
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2
UK and Ireland form a travel zone, so have minimal checks. Ireland is not a Schengen country but is an EU country.
The Netherlands to UK means leaving the EU and the Schengen to a third country so checks are stricter and will only get more so in the course of this year.
Leaving (or entering) any Schengen country from a non Schengen country requires more checks. They were passport checks not security checks. thought the Eurostar does have strict security also as is to be expected going though the Tunnel.

They were most certainly security checks too. They scanned our bags.

I don't mind passport checks. If I were to travel UK-NL or vice versa, would I be subjected to the same level of interrogation ?

I prefer travelling Ireland-France, because despite Ireland being ex-Schengen, the transition is very smooth.
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 06:22 AM

The security is high due to the use of the tunnel. Same for vehicles using it.
For the ferries they do random checks, but also have hidden checks you don't notice.
If you are in a car it isn't usually a problem but you can be asked to get out while it is checked for illegal immigrants, and drugs. More likely with a van or a motorhome/campervan.
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 06:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i cycled into Netherlands from the UK and apart from the question "where have you come from?" was treated with respect and handled through in minutes, I saw no cars being really held up except for the antiquated rubber stamp used in third world countries to track people ;-)

I managed to not point behind me at the ferry and say "that b'''''y big thing back there"
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 06:38 AM

“They were most certainly security checks too. They scanned our bags.

I would assume the security checks were similar to those when you go through security at an airport. Was that not so?
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Yes. Similar to airport checks
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 09:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by drrummer
Yes. Similar to airport checks

Then I don't understand your questions. There are security checks because there are . . . security issues. Just like traveling by air.

And there is an Immigration check because you were traveling between Schengen and the UK - the same as traveling between the Schengen (or the UK or Ireland) and the States.
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

For the ferries they do random checks, but also have hidden checks you don't notice.
If you are in a car it isn't usually a problem but you can be asked to get out while it is checked for illegal immigrants, and drugs. More likely with a van or a motorhome/campervan.

Thank you. This is good information.
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

I see. Thanks for the information.