Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Uffizi is booked, ack! When to go to avoid lines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are leaving for Rome tomorrow evening and I just realized that the Uffizi is booked (per the online reservations agents) for the days that we'll be in Florence (Sept. 8 thru 10). I thought we'd be able to reserve just a day or two in advance, but that no longer seems to be the case.

I'm going to try calling the reservation number Ira has posted, but based on recent posts here it seems unlikely that they'll have tickets either. Do you think we could avoid the lines somewhat by being there when they open? Or maybe going just before they close? Any help is much appreciated!!!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 04:07 PM

I would start by asking your hotel in Florence if they can arrange tickets for you. Many offer this as a regular service and I suspect they have sources other than the usual channels open to tourists trying on their own.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 04:12 PM

I was there in July last year and I got to the Uffizi about fifteen minutes before it opened. I waited a total of a little over a half hour. The line for people who had reservations was almost as long so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's been a few years since we went to the Uffizi, but we had no trouble getting in on two occasions around 6-7 p.m. (At that time, the Uffizi were/was open until 10 p.m.)
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Good ideas, thanks. I'll try the Uffizi reservation line tomorrow, then my hotel and if that doesn't work I'll try to drag DH out of bed a bit early so we can get there first thing in the morning (although he might be with you, Jean, on going just before it closes). I promise to report back when we get home!
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:46 PM

If getting there early or late doesn't work for some reason, you can try booking a tour inside the Uffizi called the Corridoio Vasariano (Vasari Corridor). This is a passage designed by Vasari in 1565. It crosses over the Ponte Vecchio from the Uffizi (where the Grand Duke worked) to the Pitti Palace (where he lived) . The purpose was to enable the Medici family to journey back and forth without walking with the "commoners". The corridor also contains scores of self-portraits by Renaissance artists.

I got lucky and got in the day I called. They do offer English speaking tours of the corridor but they are more limited in number.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 10:33 PM

I'm sort of in the same situation. I tried getting reservations earlier this week for the dates September 23rd or 24th and I can't believe they're booked. I'll try the suggestions the other posters have given - call the number, try the hotel, get there early. Thanks.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Good news - I just called the Uffizi directly and got a reservation for Sept. 9!!! Even better I got thru on the first try and was not put on hold at all! It really couldn't have been simpler, I definitely recommend going this way; clearly they are not actually booked until the end of September, the commercial booking services are just claiming this for some reason. For the Uffizi they offered me limited times - 8:45 a.m., 12:30 p.m. or one later in the afternoon - for the Accademia they had everything available and I just told them when I wanted to go.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:53 AM

That phone number is certainly the way to go. You are right, it couldn't be easier to use. It is who your hotel would call for you as well.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 06:13 AM

I was just going to post this same thing! I'm trying to get in the 27th of September. I was told to try back 2 days before, since there should be some cancellations.

So - should I be booking Bargello now? I did get in to Accademia, thankfully.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:42 AM

Sounds like a lot of us will be in Florence around the same days. - I called this a.m. using the reservation number that Ira has posted. I wanted the Uffizi for either Sept. 21, or 22, but was told they are booked until Oct. I was also advised to call back a day or two before in case of cancellations.

sharon1306 or d2roberts, have you had any success getting the dates you want? And, audreyleigh99 when I called they said Sept. 8-10 were available, so I guess you did get lucky. Everyone have a great time in Florence!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 09:29 AM

I've read that Tuesdays are the busiest and that afternoons can be better.

Source:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ma...etuffizi15.xml

I've my reservation for this Saturday at 8:15 am.

Good luck.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To d2roberts: Unless things have changed, you don't need reservations for the Bargello... which is not to indicate that it is less must-do than the Uffizi and the Accademia.

To Pilates: We've been trying to see the Vasari Corridor for years! I'm so excited that one can now make reservations! When's the next plane to Florence?
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:18 PM

I was there in late October of 2000, and had to wait THREE HOURS in line! I was in college at the time studying abroad and none of us knew that we could have booked ahead of time (we were also playing each day by ear, hopping from city to city so it would have been nearly impossible to plan in advance anyway). I don't remember what time of day we went though...but for anyone who doesn't have a reservation, I would definitely get there early to avoid going through a wait like I did!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 05:36 PM

Hi Jean,

To make a reservation you can stop by the office on the top floor of the Uffizi Tuesday through Saturday morning, but I think I may have just called and got my name on the list for that day. I loved the views from the walkway too.

I really enjoyed looking at the body armor at the Bargello. So much history. Like Jean said, you don't need a reservation, but do give yourself time to really look around. You'll be glad you did.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:50 AM

RSTravelers, no success yet... I called the number directly and they told me the days I want are totally booked. She did say to try again a couple days later, as they usually have cancellations. Will try my luck again. In the meanwhile, I have emailed my hotel in Florence to see if they can do anything about procuring the reservations for us. If all else fails, I guess we'll just have to show up really early before opening time and hope for the best...
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:09 AM

sharon1306, thanks for the reply. The situation basically stands the same for me at this point. I have also contacted our hotel. It's frustrating, though, because I really don't want to miss the Uffizi.

When you called the reservation number directly, did the woman tell you to call back a couple of days after your first initial call? I was advised to call back a couple of days before the dates I am requesting. Good Luck! I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 02:50 PM

For anyone interested in the Vasari Corridor - when I called the Uffizi reservation line on August 29, they told me the Vasari Corridor is currently closed to the public, and they had no information on when it would re-open.

According to the uffizi website, access to the corridor is only through the Percorso del Principe tour (28.50 euros). I'm going to Florence October 10, so I would love to know if anyone hears anything about the corridor re-opening.