COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

uffizi & accademia--in 1 day or 2-please help w/schedule!

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

???
right now i am currently booked for these on 2 separate days out of my 2 1/2 days in florence........should i reschedule ( my hotel made the reservations for me) and put them on the same day and if i should reschedule---how much time would i need in between them? how long does it take to get from one to the other? if i put them on the same day---what else should i schedule with them?
I wanted to take a day trip to pisa too (that is why i wanted them on the same day)---how long should i plan for that? Thanks for reading all of my ??
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM

You can easily do both in the same day. The walk between the two is about 15 minutes, at least as far as my recollection. We did each early a.m. on two separate days, but if you do both on the same day go for the reservations to keep from waiting in line to get in. Thus saving you time standing to get in.

I would include the Museo Duomo (directly behind the Duomo) with them. It's a nice reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the main museums and very interesting.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 09:08 PM

We did both in the same afternoon. We did the Accademia first, about 1 p.m. and the Uffizi about 3 or 4. We spent about an hour at the Accademia. We spent a few hours at the Uffizi.

The next day, we did a side trip by train to Piza.

Good luck,

MY
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Just my two cents worth, but with 2 and half days, I wouldn't go to Pisa. There is so much to see in Florence, particuarly if you are interested in art. Don't miss the Bargello for sculpture, Donatello's David is incredibly sensuous.

Also some of the most important Renaissance works of art are in churches such as Santa Maria Novella, Bapistry etc.

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 12:44 AM

Physically it's easy enough to do the Uffizi and Accademia on the same day. Mentally, for me, it would be hard to take. There's a reason people fall prey to Stendhal Syndrome from art overload every now and then . If you limit your time at the Uffizi, hard as that is, you might find that seeing them in one works fine.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 01:00 AM

I Agree with WillTravel (great name btw!) you can physically do both in a day ... but not if you truly want to appreciate the art. There are millions of sights in florence centre (which is relatively small) so i would advise you to keep your bookings as they are and divide the other sites up: Accademia, Basilica & Baptistery, Orsanmichele, Santa Maria Novella, Santa Croce, Pitti palace, San Marco... to name but a few!!
You could also take the bus up to Fiesole from where you can overlook the whole of Florence!! Stunning!