Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My list for Florence... Can you help me plan?

Jan 28th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I have 2 days Florence and we are trying to figure out the best way to plan our itinerary and bookings. So for anyone who has been there, is it possible to fit in the things I have listed below without seeming overwhelmed? Keep in mind, I do want to allow some time for aimless browsing and window shopping.

On our list:
The Museo di Storia della Scienza (my husband really wants to visit)
The Uffizi
The Accademia
The Boboli Gardens
The Ponte Vecchio

We arrive in Florence from Rome about 11am and we are departing two days later in early afternoon. Our time is a little flexible on the last day as we are picking up a car and driving out to the Siena region.

Thanks.
Jan 28th, 2006, 04:23 PM

You will have no problem seeing those things and more.

Almost everyone will suggest that you prebook the Uffizi and the Accademia.

I'm not sure what your husband is like in a museum, but mine will stare absolutely endlessly at things that interest him. You could be in and out of the science museum in an hour, unless your DH is like mine. You may want to plan time in each place. ;-)

The Uffizi could take a lot of time. I suggest reading carefully about what you want to see while you are there, and planning your time.

The Accademia is easy, but we once ran into a special exhibit that was fascinating, and ended up spending a lot more time than planned. To really get a look at David, prebook for early or late. Ditto for the Uffizi. Otherwise there could be a group 10 deep in front of the Botticellis.

The Boboli Gardens is another area that you might want to plan. You can spend an hour or a day.

Ponte Vecchio: unless you are doing a lot of shopping, you can window shop, take pictures, have a snack at either end, all in an hour.

Jan 28th, 2006, 07:21 PM
sts

For a fun side trip, visit the Leather School - hand made purses, wallets, and a variety of other leather goods.

There are private tour guides available for Uffizi and crafts shops near Boboli Gardens.

Absolutely book tickets for Uffii and Accademia ahead of time. Otherwise you will spend most of your time standing in line
Jan 28th, 2006, 07:26 PM

The Leather School is a part of one of Florence's greatest churches/complexes: Santa Croce. If you have time, I urge you to walk east from the Uffizi/Piazza Signoria to Santa Croce. Great art, architecture, a wonderful piazza, and of course, the leather school.
Jan 28th, 2006, 09:53 PM

You can easily fit these and more in two days unless there is some circumstances you have not mentioned.

I would say the reservations for Uffizi and Accademia are imperative.

Ponte Vecchio is something you would probably cross many times without having to make a special trip.

Of the things listed, Boboli Gardens was a disappointment, the ground was not kept up at all. I would recommend a backup plan in hand if, after you have gone there, feels that your would rather want to spend you time elsewhere.

I presume you already checked the museum hours. It makes it harder to plan your visit if includes Sunday or Monday.
Jan 29th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Importantly, I didn't mention time needed to explore the area around the Duomo. Seems like one could spend a day just in that area if they wanted. Any ideas on the main things to see? For instance, We really would like to chimb the Campanile. I realize that it is difficult to see it all within such a short time period. One thing, our hotel is quite centally located and just a 5-10 minute walk to the Duomo.
Jan 29th, 2006, 04:42 AM
cmt

Two of my favorite museums in Florence are the Bargello (sculpture, beautiful setting) and the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo. I think you should allow some time to walk around the old medieval center, imaging what Orsanmichele was like in those times, finding Dante's house, etc. If you have time, it is worth taking the public bus ride to Fiesole.
Jan 29th, 2006, 04:53 AM

My favorite thing in Florence was going up to Piazza Michelangelo at sunset. Fabulous views plus great atmosphere. I also really loved the art in many of the smaller churches - Santa Croce, Santa Felicita, and Santa Maria del Carmine. They don't take long to see (as oppossed to going to a major museum). You mention wanting time to shop and explore. That's what I loved about Florence. Three major museums in two days is a lot of "indoor" time. You might want to consider getting a map and mapping out a walk that would take you past several churches that you could then peak into and between them will be lots of exploring/shopping opportuities.

Also, if you are not that interested in the science museum, and your husband is, and you are more interested in shopping (and maybe your husband is not) how about splitting up for a few hours. I always do that with my husband or whoever I'm traveling with and love the free time.