Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should we go to the Uffizi & Academia on different days?

Apr 27th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

I only have 3 full days in florence - friday, saturday & sunday (May 13-15).

Should I make reservations for the Uffizi on Friday & Academia on Saturday? or is it possible to do both in the same day (a few hours for each)?
I'm not sure how far apart they are from each other & we'd like to explore other things around each museum (shopping, walking, etc.)

FYI - We like to see art, but we aren't die-hard art lovers.

Apr 27th, 2005, 08:22 AM
ira

Hi psy,

>We like to see art, but we aren't die-hard art lovers. <

Then, I recommend different days o that you want be museumed out.

Maps of Florence are at www.mappy.com and www.viamichelin.com

Apr 27th, 2005, 08:29 AM

If you want to fit both into one day it can be done. The Uffizi will require 2 or 3 hours, but the main reason for visiting the Accademia is to see the David and that can be done easily in less than an hour. There are so many wonderful things to see in Florence that you could easily visit museums on separate days.
Don't miss the Duomo, Santa Croce, San Lorenzo and the Medici Chapel, and the central market. And even though you say you aren't die-hard art lovers, the Bargello and the Museo del Opera del Duomo are great places to visit. Don't miss the Piazza della Signoria on your way to the Uffizi.
Apr 27th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Since your time in Florence is short and you aren't die-hard art lovers, if your only reason for visiting the Accademia is to see the David - skip it. There is a copy you can view for free out in the Piazza della Signoria directly in front of the Palazzo Vecchio right next door to the Uffizi.

Of course if you want to view his backside you'll need to go to the Accademia to see the real thing (up close and personal).

Apr 27th, 2005, 09:01 AM

I don't see the copy of David as being at all equivalent to the real thing. Definitely go to Accademia (make reservations in advance). If you just want a quick look at the star offerings in each museum, you can do them in one day.

If you want to go through each of the several dozen rooms at the Uffizi with the audiophone, it takes about 4 hours and is quite tiring. But you could decide to just see the highlights.
Apr 27th, 2005, 09:22 AM

book the reservations now. i just booked for 21 may and the lady told me that bookings are becoming scarce as they are selling out quick.
Apr 27th, 2005, 11:14 AM

I think Rookie must have been joking. At least, I hope so! Be sure to see the original David.

Yes, you can easily do both museums in a day as the Accademia is quite small or you can split the days.
Apr 27th, 2005, 11:30 AM

We won't be in Florence until June 20, but this thread makes me wonder how far in advance it's advisable to make these reservations. Should I do it now?
Apr 27th, 2005, 12:17 PM
rex

The lattr question first... I think that 7-14 days in advance is plenty for making your reservations. In fact, I think that 1-3 days will usually be enough.

I think that they need not be a "museum overload" if done in one day.

For some people, the Uffizi can be an overload by itself. It hs a nice enough cafegteria, where you can (usually) sit outside on a patio (one story above street level) and talk about what you like, with your fellow travelers. 60-90+ minutes before lunch, then 30-90 minutes after lunch there would work for me - - as I recall, based on visits there in 1998 and again in 2001.

For the Accademia, 30-40 minutes might be an average "short visit", and 90 minutes might come close to "seeing everything", thoroughly.

They're less than 20 minutes walk apart.

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 27th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Rex, that would usually be the case about one to two weeks in advance, but in the past few weeks people have reported an inability to get reservations for May at Uffizi. I seem to have read something about a decision to restrict the numbers.
Apr 27th, 2005, 12:43 PM

There's really no reason to wait, its a simple phone call and it takes just a few minutes to reserve and could save you hours in the heat. I reserved a couple weeks ago. the operators speak English.
Apr 27th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Thanks! Better safe than sorry...
Apr 27th, 2005, 02:21 PM

WillTravel is absolutely correct (in my opinion) and no KathrynT (sadly) I was not joking.

Until last summer it would never have occurred to me to suggest the copy as a substitute for Himself. However, I know people who visited Florence more for the shopping than the art. They felt they had seen David when they walked into Piazza della Signoria, and they KNEW it was a copy. That conversation left me a bit numb, but to each his/her own. They were very happy with their Florentine leather purchases.

The OP has commented in more than one thread that they don't want this trip to be museums 24/7. And, there are people for whom the copy "works".
Apr 28th, 2005, 01:32 AM

Oh, now I understand your comment, Rookie.

Yes, I suppose the copy would do for some, but I like to think even non-art lovers would become transformed by seeing the real thing.
Apr 28th, 2005, 07:40 AM
ira

Unfortunately, there are people who have visited the Venitian in Las Vegas and feel no need to go to Italy.

Sigh.

Apr 28th, 2005, 07:45 AM

Ira, I almost said the same thing but I restrained myself yesterday. Today is another matter. David is a must see in Florence and if you have to miss other things, make the time to visit the Accademia.