Reload this Page >

Type of rental car

Search

Type of rental car

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Michael

Type of rental car

Anyone have any advise as to the type of rental car for Ireland large enough for two adults and two children with moderate plus luggage?

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Ann

Try a Mondeo. Or ask for a "saloon" car.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 09:27 AM
bettyk

I was going to ask the same question, except for 4 adults, each with a 22" carry on suitcase. It is less expensive for me to use Hertz and they have a Ford Focus Wagon or a Ford Mondeo Wagon that looks like it would be big enough. Anybody have experience with either of these vehicles?

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Jacques

Michael, <BR>You should try www.autoeurope.com.<BR><BR>I have used them to reserve car in <BR>France, Switzerland, Gernmany without any problems and they garanty the best rates. Also, they are not limited to one rental company. They search for the best rates for the kind of car you want.<BR>They also do business with european rental companies which sometimes have better prices.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Molly

Check out www.irelandcarrental.com. I just reserved an automatic Ford Mondeo for 11 days for $426 including VAT. When I checked with www.autoeurope.com, same dates, same car - it was $715 and I don't know if that includes VAT. That's a big difference.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Molly

That's www.irelandcarrentals.com. Sorry about that.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Karen

The Mondeo is like our Ford Taurus...we have rented it couple of times for both four and two of us...any trunk is a fun pack each a.m....shifting and adjusting the bags. We usually take a carry on type bag and don't carry in the big bags every night...one carry on for each person will<BR>hold enough for overnight and the next day....sometimes we could actually get by without taking the big bags in for two nights.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 06:32 AM
D. Dillon

Greetings! Given your situation,you'll want to get a mid-size car, perhaps even a wagon. It won't come cheap, however, especially if you request an auto. transmission. Still, comfort is key, particularly if you and yours are planning a good amount of driving. Ireland's roads - even secondary - have improved dramatically over the past decade, so don't concern yourself about driving in rural areas. You'll be fine. <BR><BR>One final note: Aoid renting through Hertz. My wife and I used them this past summer and were deeply troubled by the hidden charges. The company's introductory rate was most attractive, but the final, post-trip bill was siginificantly greater. We're contesting the bill and have serious reservations about using Hertz again. <BR><BR>An alternative: Consider Dan Dooley. They offer good rates and no hiden charges. Perhaps by using the "little guys" in the car rental world travelers needn't pick up the the charges for the "big guys" excessive advertising budgets.<BR><BR>In any event, have a wonderful trip. Ireland remains a lovely and enchanting island.