Two weeks in Spain--What Cities?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are starting to plan our next big vacation and are interested in Spain, but are stumped about what cities to see beyond Madrid and Barcelona. We want this to be a vacation, so we think three or four total cities at the most. Thanks for your advice!
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Mary's mommy - you've come to the right place!
Main question - how long have you got, what are u interested in, what are the ages of your party? [oops, that's three questions] What time of year? do you want to train/drive/fly between cities? do you want to see some countryside? can you do "open jaw"?
Have a think about those vital issues, then come back and I'm sure that OPs will have some great ideas for you!
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 03:39 PM

If you intend to drive, the Michelin Green Guide might offer useful itineraries, giving different areas to cover and different lengths of time (one week, ten days, two weeks, etc.)
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

We have two weeks, probably in mid to late October; I'm 45 and my husband is 58 (a very young 58); we love good food and wine, nice hotels, art, architecture, and history; prefer traveling by air or train to driving, but will drive if recommended for some reason. We like cities and beaches and people watching over bucolic countrysides. We are fairly conversant in Spanish, but read and understand much better than we speak it. Thanks!
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Not to worry, there is so much to see in Spain, you almost can't go wrong!

Toledo and Escorial/Valley of the Fallen are essential side trips from Madrid.

After, I advise a trip through Castilla-Leon. To me, Castilla-Leon is the essence of Spain and the two best places to see in that area are Segovia and Salamanca. Segovia is a history and architecture lover's dream with three must-see sites: the roman aqueduct, cathedral, and alcazar. Salamanca is a fashionable, lively university town and has been so since the middle ages. Again, the architecture and history are to die for. If you enjoy Castilla-Leon and want to see more, add both Avila and Burgos to your itinerary.

Though farther afield, you will be rewarded greatly for making the effort to get to Santiago de Compostela. This is the third most holy place in Christianity and has been a pilgrimage site since at least the 1100s. I am not at all religious but I was blown away by Santiago. Nowhere else have I seen brass bands break into music at 3am and watched nuns dance rapturously. Attend mass at the Cathedral - the building fills with smoke as the priests swing the botafumeira all the way from one end of the cathedral to the other - then watch them wrestle it to a standstill and hustle it back to storage. Get in line to embrace the saint, rub your head on the statute of the architect, do it all. Its one big, holy party.

Finally, if you are going to Barcelona you should visit Tarragona which is a little off the beaten path but has treasures dripping in history and rich color. The assortment of religious/historical artifacts in the Cathedral is mind-numbing, I couldn't believe I had access to all of them and kept thinking that surely they should be behind glass. Tarragona also has an amazing assortment of Roman sites and artifacts including a completely intact amphitheatre and beautiful mosaics housed in the Archaeology Museum.

All of the towns listed here are accessible by train, though you are occasionally better served by taking a big shiny bus. There is no need for a car.

As for food, Castilla-Leon is known for roasted meats, especially pork, which go well with harsh wines. Santiago has fabulous mussels and other shellfish. In that part of the country you should visit a sidreria to have fresh hard cider served with style.

Many of my visits to Spain were when I was young and poor so I will leave discussion of nice hotels to someone else though the state-run posadas seem quite lovely, especially the very famous one in Santiago.

Enjoy your trip!!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 09:10 AM

Usually I would say visit Toledo from Madrid and add Seville, Cordoba, and Granada to your itinerary.

However, if this is not your idea of a "vacation," to consider spending time in Nerja or Marbella in a room overlooking the sea.