Two weeks in Europe. Need some advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip starting March 1st to march 15th going throughout parts of Europe. I would like to fit in as much as possible within this time frame. okay, so far I have rough drafted this: I will be starting in London, England March 1st through March 5th one of those days I will be taking the chunnel to Paris for a day. March 6-15th Is open to travel. I am more interested in Poland, Switzerland, Netherlands, Ireland. I am not sure what is the best or more realistic way to go about this. I am not looking to venture southern Europe just yet nor western Europe. I figured with this time slot to focus on middle Europe would be better on cost. Not much I know but Any suggestions or comments? I have never traveled abroad before so anything will be useful.
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 04:23 PM

the weather will be unpredictable at that time of the year, and likely on the cold and windy side.
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 04:31 PM

Presumably March 1 and 15 will be lost to travel to and from Europe, so you have 13 days? And 6 destinations? And not just cities, but whole countries? You will lose a day traveling between each of them, so that basically leaves you one day in 6 countries. Not how I would want to travel. In fact, hardly even feasible.

Suggest you cut down a LOT! And yes, it will be chilly and cold and maybe windy. Not a deterrent, necessarily (I often go to Europe in March), but something to consider.
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 04:52 PM

agree that you have way too many destinations for your limited time. You should stick to no more than 4 hotels (total 4 cities - not countries) if you really want to see anything.

Also you will be there in late winter and snow is not likely - except in Switz where it is more or less guaranteed - is will be cold to chilly and certainly rain or sleet is possible.
Also - since you are going off season many sights will be open limited hours - not the longer ones they are in summer.

Suggest you look at some guide books and then pick out what you want to see in each place - and then figure out how long each will take.

Then come back with more specific questions on the places you decide to to to.
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also don't think weather should be a deterrent, but I do think you need to know what you realistically will want to do (and can do) in these places at that time of year.

How were you planning to travel between destinations? Amsterdam to Warsaw by train is at least 14 hours and to Krakow even longer. Amsterdam to Zurich is at least 8 hours. And Warsaw or Krakow to Zurich is more than 18 hours. Obviously, you could choose to fly (even between Warsaw and Krakow), but you should investigate the options, costs and luggage restrictions.
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

I just realized how broad my itinerary looks.
I cant change the dates because I am traveling to India for a wedding(main reason for travel) before this trip and was originally just stopping in London after but its so close to everywhere else.. so I decided to add a week and a half to stop in some places in Europe. Ideal weather for India but not for Europe, I know its way outta season. I'm just trying to work with what I can get.
I will be arriving to London early March 1st so I will have that whole day. I will be leaving late Saturday night (the 15th)
I have cities that I was focusing on.
Warsaw/Krakow Poland
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Zurich/Lucerne, Switzerland
I figured the cold would be a problem in some places. I just wasn't sure which ones

I appreciate the feedback no matter what
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 05:49 PM

So, do London, Paris, and Amsterdam. Forget Poland the Switzerland.

I take it you fly out of London to India?
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

on the way to India we stop in London but its not until on the way back from India that we are starting our Europe trip.
ok so I thought about it and I have.....
London -4days
chunnel to Paris
Paris -for a day
stay a hotel that night then train the next morning to Amsterdam
Amsterdam-3 to 4days( not sure if that's too long or not here)
fly to Basel, Switzerland
train to Zurich and stay there until we fly back home on the night of the 15th.

Does this look more realistic?
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 09:42 AM

You don;t want to stay in Zurich - it's primarily a business city. And what is really special about Switz is the mountains - which at that time of year will be mobbed with people there for skiing and other winter sports.

In your time you might do London, Paris and Amsterdam - or London, Paris and one other place - but would not do Switz unless you are skiing - partly due to the weather and partly the cost (incredibly expensive even vs London and Paris).

What exactly would you DO in Zurich at that time of year? Unless you have several must dos - why go?

In London and Paris you can always find a lot to do indoors - if you run into heavy rain and temps in the 40s F (and you will need a whole different wardrobe for this part of the trip - at least medium weight jacket a couple of sweaters, cords or other warm pants, hat, scarf, gloves and sturdy waterproof footwear.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Not a good balance between Paris and Amsterdam. I'd do three days in Paris, one in Amsterdam (or more if you forget Zürich, which I certainly would).
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 12:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Why only one day in Paris? Have you been there before?

Do you have to fly out of Zurich?
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 01:40 PM

It would make sense to fit in as much as possible in a couple of great cities, rather than trying to see a lot in the middle of March. You may be lucky and travel easily, just as likely you may be unlucky and run into delays based on weather.

Are you used to cold weather with sleet/snow/ ice?
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 02:06 PM

To accuse someone of racism is a pretty weighty thing and it should be bandied about lightly.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 03:59 AM

huh??

In any case, I also think you should probably drop Switzerland, but in my experience, it is no more expensive than London or Paris, in fact, it was less expensive (and I've been in Montreux and Lucerne and Verbier).
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 04:37 AM

I will be taking the chunnel to Paris for a day.>

For Chunnel train booking go to www.eurostar.com - and be prepared to be upbraided here for using the word Chunnel which many Americans use but in Europe it is Eurostar trains (for a poster above who claims they never ever heard an American use the word Chunnel well here it is!) -anyway early booking is a key to get the deep discounted Chunnel train tickets - go to www.eurostar.com - the official site of Chunnel trains - booking months early can save tons of money but those tickets are non-changeable non-refundable so be sure of your dates.

And for great train info check out these superb IMO sites - www.budgeteuropetravel.com (download their free European Planning & Rail Guide for lots of rail itineraries in each country (http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id2.html(; www.seat61.com (great info on discounted tickets in various country as well as Chunnel train info); and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 05:22 AM

The first "chunnel" I have seen in more than 8 years. And who knows - it may come from seeing one of your previous posts.

You can find a word once anywhere.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

I guess I used the wrong word, I kept seeing that on the sites. Thanks for putting up with all my ignorance ha. I was going to fly out of Zurich but I can change that to Amsterdam. I guess Switzerland is out. Thanks for all the responses. I have lived in cold weather before so I don't think the coldness will be an issue for me.
I'm down to:
England
Paris
Netherlands
this should leave me enough time in each place now with out rushing. The weather in these three places shouldn't be too rough in March though right?
How much time do you think would be enough in the Netherlands.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 07:45 AM

. The weather in these three places shouldn't be too rough in March though right?>

depends whether you call blustery wet windy but not freezing weather is rough or not. But even at that time of year the weather is very changeable - could be nice for a few days but often IMO gray and dank and damp and...
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 10:53 AM

I guess I used the wrong word, I kept seeing that on the sites. Thanks for putting up with all my ignorance ha.>

no you were using the word most Americans seem to use and thus on an American-dominated forum like this it is very appropriate - RailEurope advertises "Chunnel Tickets" and yes you have seen it on many sites because it is part of the American parlance, like it or not and ironically the word Chunnel, anathema to many Brits, was actually coined by British media I understand.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 12:54 PM

England
Paris
Netherlands>

Maybe add in Bruges in Belgium? One perpetual favorite and about the neatest old-looking city I've seen north of the Alps - and do go open-jaw - fly into say London and fly back home out of Amsterdam or Paris - depending on what one has the best fares and organize your itinerary to fit - easy to take Chunnel to Lille - then a short train ride to Bruges, Belgium and then to Amsterdam and take the Thalys train down to Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -