two weeks in europe

Jun 18th, 2014, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

two weeks in europe

Hi,

I will be travelling to the UK, Italy and Germany in July(in that order with my journey homeward from the uk). i have about two weeks two travel through these countries.
i was hoping for some advice about what places i could visit during this time. I will be travelling with my parents and brother.
any advice regarding where to stay, what mode of transportation to use, what sites to see are all welcome...

cheers!
Jun 18th, 2014, 05:40 AM

I'm a little confused, (my usual state) in that you say that are visiting the UK, Italy and Germany, but then flying home from the UK? This seems a waste of precious time in flying back to the UK merely to fly home. Is there any chance that you can fly into London and out of somewhere in Germany to save time?

Three countries in 14 days is a tall order, especially if your two weeks includes arrival and departure days. You need to decide several things to make a proper choice:

What do I most want to see?
What are my main interests?
Which of the three can I ditch for next time?

Your question is far too wide for an informed answer, but it would help to know if you have already booked your air tickets to and from home and between destinations. Are the tickets flexible in that they can be changed?

Where to stay depends on your budget and sights depend on what the rest of your family want to do.
Jun 18th, 2014, 05:41 AM

So you are flying in to the UK, then traveling to Italy, Germany, and returning to the UK for your return flight (US?)? Anything booked yet?

Two weeks is not a lot of time for this itinerary, you will be covering a LOT of ground. Have you booked anything yet? What cities do you plan to visit? Also, do those two weeks include the days you arrive and fly home? If you could provide some more details, you will get better answers. right now, it is hard to really provide any advice without that extra information...
Jun 18th, 2014, 05:52 AM

When are you making this trip? What time of year?

Where in the UK are you flying into?

Do you want to see cities or something of the countryside? What are your interests? History? Architecture? Scenery?

There are a lot of resources to help you narrow down -- or, more likely, widen -- the specific places and things you want to see. Guidebooks, videos and all the information on the Internet, starting with this site. Spend some time gaining information. Unfortunately, a guided tour is unlikely to visit these 3 countries in one tour.

3 countries in two weeks is a lot, especially 3 non-adjacent countries. Look into cheap flights between your destinations. Good sites are www.skyscanner.net and www.whichbudget.com. And as part of your two weeks, you'll have to make your way back to the UK. If you haven't yet bought your plane tickets, investigate flying home from a city in Italy or Germany. Open-jaw or multi-city tickets, into one place, out of another, usually cost about the same as round-trip.

Two weeks would make a nice introduction to Italy or maybe a flying visit to the UK (say London and York) and Germany (Berlin and Munich). As it is, even with plane flights, you're going to waste an appreciable amount of your 2 weeks getting to and from and in airports. At least with trains or a car, you can see something of the countryside.

Good luck!
Jun 18th, 2014, 06:13 AM

I agree with the above posters - way too much in 2 weeks.

<< any advice regarding where to stay, what mode of transportation to use, what sites to see are all welcome >>

These questions are the cart before the horse. No one can help you with this until you decide what locations in each of those countries you'll visit.

Your first question to yourself should be why did you choose these countries if you have no idea what is there and what towns/cities you want to visit. Choose 4 cities among these countries and then ask your questions. You'll get detailed responses that way.
Jun 18th, 2014, 06:16 AM

what mode of transportation to use, what sites to see are all welcome...>

If going to the mega tourist cities as most are want to do their first times then trains are IME by far the best - cars in many cities are useless and even liabilities - wide swathes of city centres are now off-limits to private vehicles, parking can be hard to find, etc.

For lots on European trains and planning a European rail trip I always spotlight these superb sources: www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - download the latter's free online European Planning & Rail Guide for oodles of suggested train itineraries in various countries.

In two weeks if doing London too you probably will not be taking many trains so forget about any railpass - you may want to do the discounted tickets which however must be booked weeks in advance to get then are train specific and hard to change or refund often but you can save a ton over just showing up. www.seat61.com has great info on these.
Jun 18th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Our round trip tickets are Bombay - Heathrow - Bombay, July 20, the schengen visa stipulates that Italy has to be my first point of entry after the UK. I was considering flying to Venice from London and thereafter using the EU rail on my rather roundabout way to London via Germany.

The cities we picked out in Italy and Germany were Florence, Venice, Rome, Frankfurt, but we narrowed that down to just Venice and Frankfurt.

My main interests are Food, Architecture and Art.
Jun 19th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

I understand that it isn't a lot of time to do justice to each country. But, my folks did book the flights and hotels along with the visas for the uk and germany. I can't refuse an opportunity to get out of the restaurant kitchen that i work in, lol.
Jun 19th, 2014, 03:37 AM

If you've got flights and hotels booked, tell us where they are and we can then offer a "things to do" list.
Jun 19th, 2014, 05:53 AM

So you're flying to Venice, good. Venice is a fascinating place to visit. A case study for architects in how to make buildings on the water look light, not heavy and sinking. And it's near Vicenza, around which are clustered several architecturally significant works by Palladio. But I don't know if you'll have time for an excursion.

Both your proposed rail trips, Venice to Frankfurt and Frankfurt to London, are very long and require multiple changes. Look into flying these routes also; check out cheap flights at www.skyscanner.com and www.whichbudget.com.

And maybe reconsider Frankfurt. Was there a particular reason you wanted to go there? It's not high on the sightseeing list.
Jun 19th, 2014, 12:33 PM

A case study for architects in how to make buildings on the water look light, not heavy and sinking>

Too bad though they are sinking and have been since built! Like all of central Venice!
Jun 20th, 2014, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

@Rubicund - The hotel is the Hilton London Wembley.
@Mimar - My best friend studies in Frankfurt and if i'm coming this far... then whats a few hundred kilometres more. I will definitely try to go to Vicenza. I see a similar situation in Bombay and they're not even a hundred years old yet.
Jun 21st, 2014, 07:40 AM

>>Hilton London Wembley<<

Oh, dear Not a very good location except for attending a fixture at Wembley. Not close to anything. It will be a longish tube ride from Wembley Park to get anywhere (or a train ride from Wembley Stadium station)
Jun 22nd, 2014, 06:54 AM

but Wembley is an interesting area if you ever poke around it - it has one of Britain's largest South Asian communities with streets right out India. But yes it is a tad farther out by Tube but not that much farther - if you can get a good deal there go for it.

I prefer staying outside of heavily touristed central London and in real neighborhoods and Wembley to me is one of the most interesting.

and the hotel is near a Overground rail line - meaning you can get to London quicker than via Tube - just 20 minutes to Euston station which is within walking distance of the British Museum and the touristed central London.
- And this is an 'ultra modern hotel' so if into that and you get a good deal go for it - I think you get more bangs for your buck just outside central London and in this case a guaranteeably modern high-class hotel - again if into that a good choice if a good rate.