Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Two students venturing outside of Paris need a little help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

My friend and I are currently studying in Paris, but are taking a couple of weekend trips (this weekend and the next) outside of Paris. We waited too long to reserve our trains so we are staying at each place a little longer than expected so we have more time to explore!

First stop: Bordeaux. My host family here in France has recommended a couple of things to do, but I was curious if anyone had anything else to recommend in terms of food, sightseeing, nightlife, etc. We are always looking for something inexpensive because we are students (and we deal with the dollar to euro transfer). We are thinking of taking a day trip to a vineyard ("la cave&quot, but we are not really sure how to go about doing that. Any help is appreciated!

Next weekend is Nice. We definitely would like to travel to Monaco or somewhere else nearby, and again, we are looking for any suggestions of what to do! (The beach is a given !)

Thanks so much! If any more info is needed, please let me know...first time I have really posted in a while!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The city of Bordeaux is one of the least fascinating cities in France, and I am consistently amazed that some people recommend it. The region around Bordeaux is very nice, but the city is just a big bore (in my opinion).

Nice is much better, and you can easily get around the entire Côte d'Azur from there on the coastline commuter train which runs every 20 minutes or so.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:27 AM
ira

Hi J,

Been to Bordeaux.

It is not high on my list of places to go in France.

I recommend that you take the high-speed TGV to Nancy for a night and then on to Strasbourg the next night.

Train fares will be almost the same as for Bordeaux.

In Nancy, we stayed at www.hoteldeguise.com/

If you feel that you have to follow the recommendation of your host family, See my trip report about what to do in Bordeaux and vicinity.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34676645

Photos at http://tinyurl.com/sjch4
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-pla2au

It is worth taking the train to Arcachon.

Enjoy your visits.

Old May 7th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. We actually saw this post while in Bordeaux (after seeing most of the city in one day) and booked a train for the next day to Arcachon! We loved the small city and the beach, of course. Although, the sunburns we received were another story ;-)

Thanks again!
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:10 AM
ira

You are welcome, JL.