Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > TWO different Georgian House Hotels in London??

TWO different Georgian House Hotels in London??

Aug 11th, 2002, 04:36 AM
DianeG

TWO different Georgian House Hotels in London??

I've seen the Georgian House Hotel recommended here as a budget choice. However, I seem to have come across TWO separate hotels advertizing under the same name, in two different locations.

Are they related? Can you please provide feedback on either (specify by location)? Thanks.

Georgian House Hotel
35 - 39 St Georges Drive
(close to Victoria station)
http://www.georgianhousehotel.co.uk

Georgian House Hotel
87 Gloucester Place
(near Baket Street)
http://www.londoncentralhotel.com

If they are not related, which is exploiting the other's reputation?

Aug 11th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Andrea

Diane,
I stayed at the Victoria location in '97. It is very basic: bathroom was a prefabricated unit (molded laminate forming shower, sink, etc) quite tiny for me as I'm 5"10'. Lots of stairs to room, but the price was right. Then I recall paying 38 pounds for a single, though they gave me a double room. Furnishings mismatched, not too attractive, breakfast included, again, very basic. It was walking distance to Victoria Station. I would not stay there again.

Aug 11th, 2002, 08:11 AM
janis

DianeG - it is likely NEITHER is "exploiting the other's reputation". London is HUGE and there are many streets, shops, B&Bs, etc with the same names.

There are probably 30 different Georgian House hotels/B&Bs in the UK - none of which are related. (Since "Georgian" covers three very long 18th cen. monarchies there are hundreds of things called Georgian something or other.)

Aug 11th, 2002, 12:57 PM
jeff

Hi Diane,
Yes, there are two Georgian House Hotels. I had reservations for the one on Gloucester Place, but after I saw the rooms, I changed my mind. The bathroom was like someone's science project and the bedroom was so small, I could hardly turn around. The other Georgian House Hotel is supposed to be nice, but I have no first hand knowledge of that. I was turned off by the name because of my experience with the other one.

Aug 11th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Sylvia

Diane, I believe we've talked before. There are two Georgian House Hotels in London. The one on Gloucester Place is my regular spot when I'm in London. True, it is modest in size and rather spartan, but clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced (I paid 75 GBP for a single.) From reading these boards, I can see that people have very different tastes and tolerances for hotels. Having stayed once in a grubby B&B, and once in an expensive and overwhelming tourist hotel, I have found that the Georgian suits me well. All you can do is study the options and take your chances. If you're unhappy with a hotel once you get to London, you can always switch to another one.

Aug 12th, 2002, 02:49 AM
DianeG

Hi Sylvia!
In fact, it was your suggestion that made me realize that there were two. You just tipped the balance back to the Gloucester Place location. And Janis, thanks for explaining that - I'm just not used to having two business in the same market honestly competing under the same name.

Aug 12th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Patti

HI DianeG,

I recently stayed in the OTHER Georgian House, the one on St. George's Drive. It sounds similar in description to the one on Gloucester Place--smallish, spartan, a bit threadbare, but very clean and I thought, pretty well located with Victoria Station just around the corner. I paid 49GBP per night for a single in the main building. They also have an annex building a block or so away for less if budget is an issue for you. I would consider staying there again.

Patti

Search this Thread