Reload this Page >

B&B in London - recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:01 AM
Bill

We're thinking of a week in London early in the Fall (late September; early October). A very nice B&B in central London sounds perfect. Any personal recommendations, either of agencies or (especially) specific homes? <BR><BR>Alternatively, any thoughts as to a good neighborhood for a combination of all-purpose tourist access (museums, diverse restaurants, small-store shopping, theater) and charm? <BR><BR>We're happy to pay a premium price for a high-quality place with appealing hosts. (It'll still be a lot less than a "name" hotel!)

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 10:21 AM
Bill

My message was slipping out of the first 100, so I figured I'd bring it to the top, just in case anyone might have a reply.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 10:39 AM
Leslie

Bill, you might check the website www.tuckedup.com for B&Bs. But, I would suggest the Belgravia section of London for B&Bs. Belgravia is where most of the consulate offices are and its loaded with very nice B&Bs. Two plusses, Buckingham Palace is within walking distance, and you'll be close to both the Victoria Coach Station and Victoria tube stop.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 10:43 AM
Leslie

Almost forgot, I stayed at the Ebury House on Ebury Street in Belgravia. Very nice B&B, and it received excellent reviews in the Frommer's Guide. You have your choice of ensuite bath or shared bath. Staff and owners are very accommodating. If you have a problem with stairs (there are 3 floors) request a room on the lobby floor. Same family owns a B&B on the same street across the street, although the name escapes me.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 10:59 AM
Leslie

Bill, you might check out the Thistle Hotel website - www.thistlehotels.com. Although not B&Bs, a lot of very nice hotels, and right now there are some bargain prices for 3, 4 and 5 star hotels throughout London. I have a reservation at the Thistle Bloomsbury for 3 nights in November at 45 pounds per night including breakfast and taxes. The usual rate is 160 pounds per night. Not sure if the rate is per person or not, as I am travelling alone, but there are plenty of choices and discounted rates available.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:41 AM
Ben Haines

I like Ms Strauss' ideas. With the e-mail copy of this message I am attaching a note I keep on disc of Fodor readers' comments on small hotels near Victoria, and my list of very central hotels along the Strand. You will see that the lists include the Thistle Grosvenor hotel at Victoria and their Charing Cross hotel, and I do get the impressioin that they have taken their summer prices right down below the figures I give.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 12:59 PM
Leslie

Mr. Haines, thank you for the compliment. <BR><BR>Ben, I would follow Mr. Haines' advice, as he is most knowledgeable about the UK -- he lives there, and I am only a tourist. However, I can tell you that when I spoke to the reservationist at Thistle Hotels, she told me that the current reduced rates are the best that she has seen during her career with Thistle.<BR><BR>However, if you are looking for fish and chips, one thing that Mr. Haines and I have agreed on is that the best take away location is located a few doors down from Victoria Coach Station. If you decide to stay at a B&B in Belgravia, you'll be very close by to get yourself wonderful fish and chips.

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Pat

I recently stayed at the Averard Hotel (B&B) which was lovely. It was half a block off the main street (Bayswater) so it was very quiet. The continental breakfast was great and the room was large and beds comfortable. The family run hotel had friendly, helpful staff and it was close to 2 tube stations which give you access to anywhere in London in minutes. I recommend this hotel.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:23 PM
cheryl

Check out www.londontown.com. Great deals.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 03:24 PM
samaritan

We would highly recommend you checking out <BR>www.londonrooms.biz<BR>for deals on cheaper accommodation in the centre of town.