Two Days Left-Few Questions

Old May 31st, 2002, 11:54 AM
Karen

Two Days Left-Few Questions

I leave for a 14 trip to Italy Monday and after a year of research I still have a few questions. Can I buy train tickets anywhere else besides the train stations? Can I get away in Rome, Venice, Florence without a hat or visor? I hate them. Is there a simple formula to convert dollars to Euros in my head? I did not buy a converter and feel like I won't know how much I am spending. Is is better to put hotel rooms on MBNA Visa or pay cash? What should I pay cash for? What towns in Tuscany (I have four days) should I leave a whole day for? Thank all of you. This forum has helped me tremendously. Karen

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:08 PM
Jean Valjean

+Can I buy train tickets anywhere else besides the train stations? Yes, travel agencies and (for some short trips) at newsstands.

+Can I get away in Rome, Venice, Florence without a hat or visor? Of course. It is still not THAT warm.

Is there a simple formula to convert dollars to Euros in my head? If you see a price in Euros and want to know how much that is in dollars, take a 10% discount. If you see a price in USD and want to change it to Euros, add 10%.

Is is better to put hotel rooms on MBNA Visa or pay cash? If they take the card, why carry cash?

What towns in Tuscany (I have four days) should I leave a whole day for? Depends. How much time do you plan to spend in Florence? That can easily take 3-4 days.

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:11 PM
Sue

The euro is now about equal to the dollar; no converter needed. As for hat or visor, can you be out in sunshine here in US w/o protection on your head? I use credit card for hotels, etc., and pay cash (which I have gotten from ATM machines with my debit card) for small purchases.

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:14 PM
claire

Go to one of the currency exchange sites on the web and print out a chart you can carry in your pocket. It may not be up to the minute, but it will tell you the ballpark of what you want to know, going both directions. I always carry one; for those mathematically challenging moments! Go to Google.com to find these sites.

As for how to pay the hotel, or even retail shops, some will give you up to a 15% discount if you pay in cash. Sometimes they tell you this; other times you must ask. If you care, always ask. Have a great time!

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:16 PM
Tom

Molly,
We just returned from Italy this week and here are my observations:
We purchased train tickets at the train station, at the American Express travel office in Florence and from an independent travel agency in Venice. I printed out a schedule of our routes from Rail Europe beforehand and it helped tremendously in buying tickets and planning ahead while on the road.

Not sure I understand your question about hats or visors, but I saw very few hats or visors in any city.

Euro to dollar is roughly 1 to 1 after exchange fees. Don't worry about trying to figure it out - pretend you're spending US dollars.

We paid cash for almost everything, and used charged much less than we expected. Two of our hotels took VISA, the others cash only. We paid cash at all our restaurants. ATMs are all over - just wear a money belt or carry your purse carefully. Also, be sure to count your change - especially until you get used to the different currency.

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:23 PM
x

Claire, interesting what you wrote about the discount for using cash. I've found the opposite, when I've gone to pay with a credit card, they tell me the quoted rated was for cash, and credit card will be extra.

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:38 PM
claire

x: Wow! I NEVER have had that experience. Was last in Italy in August. Particularly recall my hotel in Venice saying (via e-mail as I made my reservation with them directly after surfing the net for options) that if I paid in lire, they'd cut the rate by 10 or 15% (can't recall which). All I had to do was advise them at check-in. And, when I bought something in a retail shop in Venice & brought out my credit card after being told the price of my items, I was offered a discount if I'd pay in lire. Had similar experiences in other cities in Italy, but those come to mind now.

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:43 PM
carol

I beg to differ on the Euro being equal to the US dollar. The US dollar is stronger. I agree with the post that says use 10%.

I keep bringing hats on trips and not wearing them. The reason... the hat is often hotter on your head than the sun on your hair. Bring sunscreen and good quality sunglasses instead.

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:53 PM
x

Carol is correct that the dollar is stronger than the Euro (but by 6-7%, not 10%). In any event, I think the point the others were trying to make was that it's not worth worrying about the exchange rate. Simply think of it as equal to the dollar with a hidden discount, or subtract a few dollars on purchases over $100. Simply not worth the hassle of carrying a currency converter.

Old May 31st, 2002, 02:34 PM
Val

I'd recommended American Express office for train tickets. They speak English and are quick and easy to purchase. There's an office right near Spanish Steps in Rome.
I'd use the Visa where ever you can.
I'd bring a hat for outdoor sites. We were there in late April and it was already getting warm. have fun!

Old May 31st, 2002, 02:42 PM
xxx

My husband has a bald head and wears a hat everywhere to avoid a sunburned dome. Sunscreen is a must.

I use my Visa because I get miles for my purchases. Cash is a pain but some places won't take Visa so you need to have some handy. If you do a one to one for Euros and Dollars you will actually save money in your head because it's about 90 cents to 1 Euro.

Old May 31st, 2002, 02:46 PM
el

I'd definitely recommend using your MBNA card as opposed to say, Chase or First USA. MBNA does not tack on an additional surcharge for foreign currency transactions--others may charge an additional 2 to 3% (that's in addition to the 1% tacked on by VISA and MasterCard).