two days in tuscany

Search

two days in tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
two days in tuscany

Taking train from Rome to Lucca via Florence.We have two days in Tuscany, with Lucca as base, then back to florence. How best to use these 2 days-rent a car, car and driver, where to go. If I could figure out how to get a car by train station around Florence, I'd consider that-but they're mostly closed on Sundays. We are arriving in Lucca on the Sunday of their monthly antiques fair-worth going? Thank you
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 08:08 PM

When you say you are traveling "from Rome to Lucca via Florence," does that mean you are switching trains in Florence or are you staying a few days and then traveling on to Lucca?

If you are only switching trains, don't rent a car in Lucca (or anywhere). Rely on trains to visit Florence, Pisa and the smaller towns on the train line.

If you are spending a few days in Florence before going to Lucca, you should probably just enjoy Lucca, or perhaps take a trip to Pisa if you like sightseeing or Viagreggio if you like the beach and seafood.

Lucca is a shopper's paradise.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 04:49 AM
ira

Hi H,

>monthly antiques fair-worth going?

We were decidedly underwhelmed. However, since you will be there on Sunday, you might as well go to it.

Lucca is a lovely town for just relaxing.

I wouldn't bother with a car.

You can easily visit Pisa and Montecatini Terme by train.

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:29 AM

Two days is hardly enough for Lucca.
You don't want a car in Lucca.
You might want to spend a little time in Florence either coming or going.
Besides that, relax and enjoy a very nice town.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary is 2 nights in Rome, 2 in Lucca, 3 in Florence, back to Rome 1 night, then home. First time in Italy, traveling with my 20 y/o daughter. Lucca is an arbitrary choice, other suggestions appreciated.
Thank you
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:37 AM

I don't know what time you are getting to Florence, but National (www.nationalcar.com) has an outlet open from 8am to 12:30pm that looks on the map to be an easy stroll from the Santa Maria Novella train station (be careful, not all trains from Rome stop here, but the Eurostars do). The National office you want is Finiguerra (FLRX01) which is at Via Maso Finiguerra 13/r. I hope it is a close walk, as I'll be making it with rolling luggage in reverse in about a month!

While you can get to the larger cities by train (s/a Siena and Lucca), and most smaller ones by bus, I think a car will give you greater flexibility if you want to visit some castles or vineyards. Of course a car and driver would also allow you the luxury to indulge more in some of the region's wines at a higher cost. We're doing a trip in that area much like yours and decided to stay at a farm house outside Siena, touring by car for the two days. It's not enough time to do anywhere justice, but it will give us a nice overview for when we come back for a longer trip! Plus, we get to enjoy Siena in the early less crowded evening.