Double stroller in Italy?

Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Double stroller in Italy?

We are planning a 2 week trip to Italy in July with a 4 month- and 20-month old.

We have a side-by-side double jogging stroller which we would like to take because it is so easy to manuver and handles city sidewalks great. It is one of the narrowest doubles on the market - at 29 1/2" will fit through a standard doorway.

However, I've read numerous reviews warnig against the larger strollers. Any advice? Will taking our double stroller be a mistake?

Currently I use it in Boston, which also has narrow, older sidewalks and cobblestones and I manage fine.

We will be staying in Castelli Romano and hope to take day trips into Rome (by train) and other areas by car as well as enjoy exploring the town itself...
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:36 AM

The main streets have much wider sidewalks where such a stroller would have no problem. Sidewalks on side streets can be incredibly narrow--sometimes less than 2 feet. Plus these same narrow sidewalks might have cars, motor scooters, and trash bins parked quite close or even partially on the sidewalk. Usually one side of the streets seems to have an emptier (though not wider) sidewalk.

Hopefully parents who have handled a double stroller in Italy will add their thoughts.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:07 AM

Many side streets in Italy don;t actually have sidewalks at all - just roads. And cars/bikes etc may be parked tight againt buildings while you walk (with strollers) down the center of the street - possibly blocking the path of everyone else. I have come across some places (only a few) where the stroller would't fit - but would have to be lifted above the levels of the cars.

But - you could just avoid those streets.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM

Have you considered backpack carriers for both.
Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:44 AM

I don't think it would be a good idea. Two single strollers would work much better. I agree that the larger wheels would make movement a lot easier. But the streets and roads are just too narrow for this type of stroller.
Also, you won't be able to takesuch a large stroller inside. with fold up strollers you'd probably be able to fold and store inside when you go to eat.

I grew up in Boston and there is no comparison. Just about any road on Beacon Hill would be a three/four lane road in Italy. Boston's sidewalks are HUGE and the room to move around is massive.
Backpacks would be the best option by far!
by the way, a "standard doorway" would be a US measure.