Florence -> Pisa -> Lucca

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence -> Pisa -> Lucca

I think I have this order correct; I'd want to get to Pisa early to avoid as many other people like me (tourists) as possible.

How would I get from city to city? I've read that a bus will take just as long as the train and probably cost less and even be a little more comfortable. The trains between these cities look to just be commuter style from what I can tell. Lots of stops, nothing too fancy.

I'm staying at the Excelsior so could probably have the concierge make some arrangements or help me get from city to city.

This would be the better part of a day for us, returning in the late afternoon or early evening.

What do folks here recommend?
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 04:27 AM

Last summerI did just what you are considering. I took the train from Florence to Pisa, then from Pisa to Lucca, then Lucca back to Florence. The trains were commuter style, but certainly comfortable enough for the less than one hour that each leg of the trip takes. Very cheap, about 5€ I think. I walked from the Pisa train station to the tower/duomo area, and then back again via a different route because I wanted to see a little of the city. About 20 minute walk each way. I spent more time in Lucca as it is a more pleasant, interesting city to wander around. I went on a Sunday and Lucca had an antique/flea market spread out over several piazzas and streets. I would allow most of the day, but you could still take it at a leisurely pace and get back to Florence for dinner.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:07 AM

Skip Lucca. It's not worth the trouble.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

"Skip Lucca. It's not worth the trouble."

Can you expound on that? Anyone agree with it?

I've read so many good things on Lucca; this is the first one that is negative.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:12 AM
ira

Hi md,

Lucca is a very pleasant walled city and makes for a relaxing visit.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Lucca: one of Europe's finest walled medieval cities - note there is a small train station in Pisa near the Leaning Tower - this station is on the line to Lucca - so either get off here (may have to change at Pisa Centrale) and walk the about .25 mile to the tower or get off at Centrale and walk thru town, about two miles or a bit less then head to the nearby station to get to Lucca, from Lucca train directly back to Florence. Trains are always more comfortable than buses to me as you can get up and walk around and there will be toilets on the train, not on short distance buses.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I did the opposite - Florence-Lucca-Pisa. I took the bus to Lucca because it stops at the walls of the city and is closer than the train station. Later in the day we walked to the train station and caught the train to Pisa. We go off at the S. Rossore station which is closer than the central station and walked to the tower. The tower area was not crowded at that time of day. We took the bus from the tower to the Pisa central station and caught the train to Florence.

I think many tour groups get to Pisa early so maybe late afternoon would be better. The train from Lucca is only 20 minutes. If you are planning on climbing the tower you will need to book that in advance.

Another option would be to take the Terravision bus from Florence to Pisa airport. From there you can catch the train to Pisa central which takes about 5 minutes. www.terravision.it
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a thread called "what's so great about Lucca" at <http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...&tid=34476344>

I liked Luca a great deal - the walk around the walls was very pleasant. I was interested in the comment "the bus stops closer to the walls than the train" - True, but not a lot in it - the entrance to the station is only 100m or so from the walls.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 08:01 AM

We really enjoyed Lucca and wished we had had more time there. Be sure to walk along the top of the walls as the walk is very pretty and will give you a unique perspective.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 08:02 AM

If you are interested in climbing the tower in Pisa (which I think you should try to do), try to get an advance ticket online -- it will save you a long wait.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 09:49 AM

We enjoyed Lucca more than Pisa. Other than the leaning tower and the immediate area around it, there's nothing else in Pisa. We stayed in Lucca for 3 days and enjoyed the town very much!
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 10:20 AM

Most travelers would agree that Lucca is a better stop than Pisa. Yet,if you want to go ,I'd go early and stop at Lucca on the way back.
Concerning "Skip Lucca. It's not worth the trouble.". This is a message board with opinions, and this is a very direct one.
Since it's hard to tell what any of us are like or our "tastes" by just one post, I recommend that you click on any of our names and check out what we like and don't. You might be able to get a bit of a "feel" of whether a person likes what you do. It also may give you a feel if some are on the edge of being "closet trolls".
Either way,enjoy your trip and your planning.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 09:38 PM

Just got back from Italy two weeks ago, and did the same daytrip you are considering. We enjoyed both towns very much, as we treated the day as our "lazy" day, not being in any rush.
We trained it for every leg, but only because there was a bus strike that day! The first train to Pisa was quite hot and uncomfortable, but the other two were quite pleasant. Luck of the draw, I guess. However, if given the choice, we would have taken the bus from Lucca to Florence. We saw the last bus leave before the strike, and all the Lucca buses were rather new and quite comfortable-looking. The trip is actually quicker by bus as well, around 45 minutes compared to a little over an hour on the train.
By the way, the walk from the train station in Pisa was simple, as other posters have stated. We didn't even bother going up in the tower, but I still thought it was worth it to stop. The tower is in a very pleasant setting with plenty of green grass to lay around in and chill for a few minutes.
We then rented bikes in Lucca for a couple euros, and had a relaxing ride around the city walls for an hour or two. Beautiful.
We thought the Pisa/Lucca day was one of our favorites in Italy and I highly recommend it.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:18 AM
ira

t
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Lucca is beautiful...I can't imagine why anyone would be disappointed. Walking the walls is wonderful...many beautiful villas surrounding the town (outside of the walls). It is not too big, not too small; just right. Try it; I am sure you will like it.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 03:26 PM

We just got back from Italy (family with 11 and 14 yr. old). Our day of Florence-Pisa-Lucca was also one of our favorites. Pisa (the tower and "field of miracles") was more impressive than I would have thought. The walled city of Lucca quite scenic, and we visited on the day of the antique market. We rented bikes and rode around the city walls (3 times as my kids loved it so much). Trains were quite easy.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:28 PM

My family (husband, wife, 11-year old and 8-year old) went to all three cities last summer. The Tower was our single favorite attraction, but Lucca was by far our favorite town. We scheduled one free day on the trip and it was a unanimous vote to go back there. We rented bikes for most of the day, walked around the shops, just enjoyed being there. I'd recommend having the concierge try to get you Tower tickets for the early morning or late afternoon, and spend the rest of the time in Lucca. There is nothing else in Pisa worth seeing.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Hello mdtravel, we obviously all enjoy different places and different activities.

My suggestion for right now. Go to www.iht.com (International Herald Tribune). Click on regions (top of the screen). Click on Europe (top of the screen). Scroll down to Culture and click on the article about Pisa. I think this article will really add to your enjoyment of visiting Pisa.

BTW, I love the Excelsior in Florence!! Lucky you. It is a fantastic hotel and a bit of an oasis in busy crowded Florence. Check out their rooftop restaurant to see if it might be of interest to you to dine there. All of Florence will be at your feet so to speak. Fantastic view!

Also, do talk to the Concierge regarding any questions you have or any information you need.

I hope you will post a travel report when you return, I would sure be interested in it. Best wishes for a beautiful visit to Italy.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 02:05 AM

Excelsior is a great hotel. Definitely take advantage of a great concierge desk. FYI, Restaurant on Roof closed a while back for good...not sure why.
As the other posts have said, Lucca is really a neat place, don't miss it. Most stores close on Sat afternoons though, so if your interested in shopping, as my wife was, make sure you plan that around Sat afternoon.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Strouds, what a shame the restaurant on the roof of the Excelsior closed. I had not heard. That was such a beautiful place to have dinner. Wonder if they are remodeling? Hope it reopens.

mdtravel, when you are at the Excelsior would you ask about the status of their rooftop restaurant and post here on Fodors. Thank you!! Best wishes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -