Two Days in Florence VERY NICE rooms

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling from Venice to Florence in July and I really need some assistance deciding whether we should stay directly in Florence or on the outskirts. We have two nights and then need to take the train to Rome to leave from FCO. Seeking a very nice hotel (equal to a 4-5 star U.S.) Please help. Thanks
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:43 PM

About the nicest hotel in Florence is the Four Seasons.
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:00 PM

I would stay in the center of Florence so you can easily walk to all the major sights. As for the hotel, how many is we, when are you going and what is your budget? (There are quite a few luxury hotels, but prices are not modest - and there is a significant difference between 4* and 5*),
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:05 PM

We have seen both of these hotels but haven't stayed in either. The Four Seasons is gorgeous and is in town. The Villa San Michele is in Fiesole--up in the hills and it is something else!
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:18 PM

The Four Seasons is quite spectacular but we have always liked the Lungarno. It is right on the Arno with great views from many of the rooms and is centrally located. If you are going to be in Florence for only 2 days, something right in town is preferable.
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:46 PM

DM - I wouldn't stay in the outskirts: Santa Maria Novella,the train station, is in the center. If you want a truly marvelous experience in a non-touristy neighborhood, stay at Palazzo Magnani-Feroni in Oltrarno, which is a 10-minute walk to the train station and an easy, short cab ride. The website is www.florencepalace.it - it's spectacular, and with only two days in Florence, a very easy walk over Ponte alla Carraia to Vigna Nuova and staight on to Piazza della Repubblica. Loads to see and enjoy in your short time and easily reached from Magnani-Feroni, with the added pleasure of not being in a large noisy hotel. And there are lots of lovely restaurants around, within 5 minutes walking from there as well.

Sandra
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Another vote for the Lungarno. Make sure to get a room with a terrace overlooking the Arno.
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM

Yet another vote for the Lungarno. We absolutely loved our stay there, and spent a good amount of time on the terrace overlooking the river. It's a very central location, too, for exploring Florence.
Old May 28th, 2010, 04:22 AM

My favorite in Florence is Antica Torre Tournabuoni. You can view the individual rooms on their website and select a specific room. Twice I booked large and lovely rooms with private terraces. They also have a rooftop terrace which is delightful. I am a fan of small, boutique hotels rather than large hotels so this is a favorite of mine.

For a large hotel I enjoy the Westin Excelsior. It is in a great location, rooms are large and luxurious and the staff was excellent.
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate all of your input and welcome additional comments. I am looking to spend somewhere between $300-$400 a night; thus, the four seasons is out. Thanks....
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:57 AM

DM - take the time, given your stated budget, to look at Magnani-Feroni - it truly is spectacular, reasonably priced all suite hotel, wonderful location - very central, but out of the hordes. I can't say enough about the service, the staff, the style, the place. It's a marvelous experience to stay there.

Sandra
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:40 AM

We usually stay in the Continental, which is right near the Ponte Vechio and has absolutely charming rooms as well as a rooftop pool and bar - but I'm not sure it would still be within your price range.
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM

As you have probably learned, $300-$400 US (250-325 euro) will not get you anything near the top tier luxury hotels in Florence.

But that price can buy you a lovely hotel room.

You might be able to book the Lungarno Hotel or Suites for that price..they offer some deals on their site.

We stayed at this upscale B&B a few years ago and they do have rooms that fit your budget; it is charming and I highly recommend. The location is ideal as well. We had the Michelangelo room, which I recommend for its size and for the view of the Piazza.

http://www.inpiazzadellasignoria.com/inglese/rooms.php
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know about the Golden Towers hotel. It appears to be a new five star hotel in florence.
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:44 PM

for that price range, we had a lovely stay at Relais Santa Croce last autumn. Spacious rooms, all services, excellent restaurant on the premises (though Florence doesn't lack for good restaurants). VERY convenient location, 10-minute walk to the Duomo.
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:52 PM

DM - I know the area, not the hotel; I'd rather not stay in the area of the Duomo. I still, hands down, prefer the Magnani-Feroni - close to everything but away from the tourist hordes, and the place is exquisite. I've stayed in the Grand Hotel Villa Medicia, Villa Cora and J K Place - I still prefer the Magnani-Feroni overall for ambience, location, service, and quality.

Sandra
Old May 31st, 2010, 03:55 AM

Sandra that hotel looks gorgeous but it is out of the price range affordable to the OP. Rooms BEGIN at 350euro for the dates I checked. Great location, though!

http://www.palazzomagnaniferoni.com/index.php
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 01:22 PM

I've stayed at the Westin Excelsior on Piazza Ognissanti, along the Arno. It is a beautiful hotel and quite luxurious. It is on the same side of the Arno as the Duomo, Piazza Signoria, Uffizi, etc., and within walking distance. They also have a magnificent breakfast buffet.