Tuscany in 2 Days

Search

Tuscany in 2 Days

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscany in 2 Days

My husband and I are planning a trip to Florence and Rome. We have decided to cut the Florence portion by two day so that we can use those days to explore the Tuscan countryside. Is it possible to do the following trip:

Tuscany Day One
--rent a car in Florence (leave city early)
--Greve
--San Gimiano
--Colle Val d'Elsa
--Monteriggionni
--Castellina (winery)
--Sienna [we would end the first day here and stay in a hotel overnight--any suggestions?]

Tuscany Day Two
--Lucignaso
--Buenconvent
--Montalcio (must visit a vineyard or winery here)
--Bangno Vignoi (baths)
--Sant’Astimo (church)
--Pienza

After Pienza, will we be able to continue on to Rome and return the rental car there? We have a room booked for the second night in Rome, but we could always cancel and stay in Pienza or somewhere close. Does anyone know how far Pienza is from Rome? And finally, if anyone has any better suggestions for a Tuscan trip, I would appreciate hearing your input.

Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 08:24 AM

Hi Greene,

A good rule of thumb is 2 hilltowns per day. The only way you could do all you plan is if you don't stop anywhere!

Slow driving, getting lost, photo ops all take time. Plus, part of the joy of Tuscany is just BEING! La dolce far niente!

Buon viaggio!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:58 AM

WAY too much to cram in to 2 days.

For Tuscany Day One I would drive out of Florence, stop in San Gimignano, visit in the morning and then head to Siena in the afternoon.

You can easily spend 2-3 hours wandering around San Gimingnano alone..and Siena is worth an afternoon and evening at the very least.

Day 2 I would think b/w driving to Sant'Astimo and spending time there, and then driving to, and spending time in Pienza your day will be full.

Remember you will also have to drive to Rome..which according to Google maps is approx 189 kms..or 2 hours 15 minutes driving. Add at least 25 minutes on to that for traffic and finding your way, etc.

Just a bit of info - we ventured out of Florence to go to Gubbio for the day - we left around 9 a.m...and didn't get in to Gubbio until around 1ish? We got horribly lost..and we had a native Italian driving us!

Never underestimate the misleading Italian roadsigns.

Enjoy, relax and take the time to soak each place in...you won't regret it.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:36 AM

Hotel suggestion for Siena. We stayed at the Hotel Garden. Its location is close to the road going to/coming from Castellina in Chianti and that lovely winery area. I want to say the hotel is on the northwest (?) side of Siena. Not close to the old city, but also not mixed into that traffic snarl!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks's for everyone's replies.

Has anyone rented a car in Florence and turned it in in Rome?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:48 PM

Driving through Chianti is lovely but slow going.

You might consider cutting out Colle Val d'Elsa and Monteriggioni on day one.

I would consider cutting Bagno Vignoni on day two. Buenconvento? Not sure what of interest is there but nearby is the Monastary at Monte Oliveto Maggiore which is well worth a visit. I don't think you'll squeeze all those places in one day though.