Daytrips to Tuscany from Florence

Apr 5th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Daytrips to Tuscany from Florence

I have an extra few days in Florence, our 7th or 8th trip, so I do not need to visit alot of the sites agauin in Florence.

Where you you recommend we go for day trips with a car from Florence to see typicaql Tuscaqn villages/Towns? We have seen most of the large cities, such as Sienna, Livorno, Pisa. We were thinking about:
Pienza, Montepulciano, Multalcino? Any thoughts about these or others? We would like to stay with 1.5 hrs radius or so.

Thanks
Apr 5th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Have you spent any time in Chianti? You could easily wander around this small area for two days.

We also enjoyed the towns west of Florence. Montelupo, San Miniato, Vinci, Montecatini Terme, Pescia.

We spent an entire, very enjoyable day at Volterra.
Apr 5th, 2009, 04:26 PM

San Gimignano is a must. Nearby is the walled town of Monteriggioni. When you go to the Val d'Orcia, try to include Montecchiello, between Pienza and Montepulciano. Between Montalcino and Pienza is San Quirico and Bagno Vignoni. Not too far is the famous Abbey of Sant'Antimo.
Apr 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Panzano to eat at the butcher shop of Dario Cecchini is a real treat. Reservations. View Dario at http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...=&ref_item=431

Montalcino, home of Brunello di Montalcino. View the Banfi winery http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...=&ref_item=446
Apr 5th, 2009, 05:48 PM

I have a friend that is in Italy right now and asked me my opinion on doing a daytrip from Florence also. She and her friend wanted to rent a car for their daytrip. I suggested for them to leave Florence for Siena and take the R222 for the scenic drive. From Siena onto Monteriggioni for a short visit, it's on the way. Then onto San Gimignano. They come back on Tuesday, so I can give you their feedback when they return. Although you already visited Siena, you could substitue another town. I think a daytrip to Montalcino, Pienza and Montepulciano would be great also, but be prepared for a real long day with a lot of driving. Any way to stay in the Val D'Orcia overnight?
Apr 5th, 2009, 05:55 PM

I would suggest just wandering around and following signs to villages. It will be a lot of fun.....as my daughter used to say, "Mom, let's get lost." It's a fun way to travel. We've run into our most memorable moments of traveling that way.
Apr 6th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Okay, my suggestion would be to do a two-pronged trip to San Gimignano and Monteriggioni:
http://www.tuscany-villas.co.uk/san-...eriggioni.html
Apr 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the input.
WebmasterTV, is that your website? Thank you for the link. Everyone has told me that San Gimignano is a tourist trap, packed, but we will be there next week, so I dont think it will be that packed? Can we expect nice weather?

Any other ideas for another day from Florence, I think we should be able to see these 2 w/o problems in one day. Also do you think a GPS is necessary? I didn't want to lug my European GPS there if only visisting a few sites by car, that should not be too hard to find.
Apr 6th, 2009, 01:29 PM

I found San Gim more interesting from a distance than inside the walls, although the views from the towers are beautiful.