Reload this Page >

Tuscany -- Hire a driver?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 07:11 AM
dolcepienza

We have traveled a number of times in Firenze and Tuscany and did not rent a car, but took a bus from Siena to Montalcino, Pienza and San Gmignano. We plan to do the same thing in May or June, but would like to see some places that are off the public transportation track, such as San Antimo and Monte Oliveto, little towns and the wineries outside of Montalcino. Has anyone hired a driver for a portion of a day or a day in Tuscany and how would I go about doing it? How much would it cost? Could we get a driver to pick us up in a smaller town like Montalcino or should we hire from Siena, see the hard to reach plces en route the first day and then return to Siena on the bus? Hiring a car is not an option (I do not drive). Also, are there taxis in any of the smaller towns? For example, could we get a taxi in Sinalunga that could take us to Locanda Amorosa if we stayed there? Finally, I know there are organized day trips from Firenze to various places; are there any from Siena to places south of Siena like Monte Oliveto? Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Jo

My opinion is my personal experience,I hired for a few days a guide that took us around the areas of Montalcino-Chianti-Monte Oliveto-S.Antimo. He was very nice and knowledgable and I happened to find him on the message board a couple of years ago. He booked us a hotel in Siena and then every morning picked us up and took us somewhere different driving off the beaten path and enlightning us on the road with so much information. You want to go to Monte Oliveto? He knows all the monks and will describe each frescoe one by one, you mentioned S.Antimo, he will take you to see the monks chant in gregorian, you like wine? he has the keys of various wineries that are not open to the public. The name of the one man agency is Rooster Tours. I think that you can reach Dario by contacting [email protected] in LA. I am sure that you can contact him directly but I have lost his e-mail though... <BR>Good luck!!

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Helen Donegan

I would also recommend Dario - a lot of people have told me how good he is :<BR>DARIO CASTAGNO<BR>CHIANTI ROOSTER TOURS<BR>E-MAIL [email protected]<BR>I hope you have a great trip - maybe you should think of visiting Umbria as well this time?<BR>

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 02:38 PM
dolcepienza

Thanks for the recommendations! He sounds like a good guide. I have also been to Umbria (Assisi, Spoleto, Deruta) and liked it.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 04:34 AM
dolcepienza

Topping.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 02:00 PM
Sid

A ball park figure of what these tour guides cost, please? Thanks. Sid

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 02:16 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Dario has been a recent contributor to this forum and is a welcome addition. He has a very good reputation-go for it.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 04:19 PM
Kay

Re: Amorosa<BR><BR>email the hotel and ask about Taxi's. I stayed there, don't remember Taxi's, but it is not that small and may have them. An alternative, see if the Amorosa can arrange to have you pick up! Enjoy

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 07:32 PM
dolcepienza

Does anyone have a rough idea of the prices for a guide like Dario or for a driver? Thanks!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:38 AM
cherie

Please- someone - give an estimate for what a driver would cost. Thanks

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:41 AM
Paula

Maybe contacting the driver directly one could get a price quoted, I have seen on this thread that one of the drivers reccomended has also e-mail.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 08:46 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Dario will give you a full day to some of the places you have never heard about and include a fabulous meal and too much vino for about $280. The food and vino are worth the $80--go for it !

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 10:44 PM
Sid

Thanks, Bob. Sid.