Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 hour stay in Florence and Rome Tips on getting around and what to seeips

Mar 29th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Miriam

Will be cruising Western Med and will have a 10 hour stay in Florence and 10 hour stay in Rome. Ground excursions sold by cruise are extremely expensive, ie. $500.00 for three persons for approx 8 hours in Florence; $650.00 in Rome. We really do not want to have a hectic schedule, rather visit Pisa and Florence, perhaps, museums if the lines are not too long. In Rome just visit the Vatican and maybe a couple of other places, no hectic schedule.

Thought it may be less expensive to hire a taxi for a day to take us from the Port to Pisa, Florence and back to port.

Does anyone have any knoweldge as to taxi rates in Florence. Is what I am proposing feasible?

I welcome replies and suggestions.

Thank you,

Miriam

Mar 29th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Austin Potter

Doing a Med cruise too. Both Livorno and Civitavecchia have rail connections to Florence and Rome. You can get the times off the internet. Both give you as much time as the ship tours with more freedom at a fraction of the cost.

Mar 29th, 2002, 08:27 PM
LInda

Florence is worth the time, forget Pisa. The only thing that is an absolute must-do is see "The David" by Michelangelo. Eating gelato at Vivoli's is right up there though. The shopping, art galleries, Fiesole, Duomo, Ponte Vecchio.

Mar 29th, 2002, 09:36 PM
John G

Why bother going to Pisa?? The town of Pisa itself is rather charming, but just going to see the Tower is a waste of time. You would be better off going to Firenze and seeing the city. It takes too long to visit the Uffizi if you only have a few hours. It would be more fortuitous to see David at Accademia, you could do this in half an hour. (I have spent two days just viewing the Uffizi collection.) Other "quick" things in Florence to do:
1. Walking along the Arno and over the Ponte Vecchio.
2. Visiting Farmacia Santa Maria Novella at 16r Via della Scala.
3. Viewing the Duomo.
4. Viewing the Brancaci Chapel at Santa Maria del Carmine.
6. Strolling through Santo Spirito neighborhood.
7. Going to Vivoli for gelato.
8. Sitting at Cafe Gilli in Piazza Repubblica for an espresso and pastry.

Rome is such a huge city, I don't know how you could see it in 10 hours. I guess you could spend the time at the Vatican, but I would rather spend my time around the Spanish Steps, Borghese Gardens, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain. Of course, you should also see the Colosseum.

Mar 29th, 2002, 09:40 PM
John G

About transportation from Pisa to Firenze, you could take the train. It only takes an hour and I think one leaves every 1/2 hour. It is very cheap, like $7.

Mar 30th, 2002, 12:30 AM
Andy

Miriam--a word of caution about ITALIAN TRAINS__THEY ARE NOT ON TIME and can go on strike at a moment's notice---
You need to remember the travel time between the port and both FLORENCE and ROME and plan accordingly---

If you miss the ship,it's on your nickel to make it to the next port--ship does not wait for you--

I posted a bunch of answers on the cruise forum for you--

Have fun!

Mar 30th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Sherry

The first time I was in Rome it was only for several hours. It is not ideal, but I wouldn't just rule it out.
What we did was buy a day metro pass. Then we got off and on the line at some of the sights along the way.
We were able to see the Collosseum,spend some time people watching at the Spanish Steps and go to St. Peter`s.
Florence is pretty compact, you can walk everywhere. You will not be able to do everything you want, but you can hit a few things.
They tell me strikes are announced in Italy. I would look into the train and take the chance. Those excursions sound like a lot of money. Just my opinion.
Look into train schedules.

Mar 30th, 2002, 07:49 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Livorno is a long way from Florence. You will not have 10 hours--a max of 5 when you count transportation. Contact my friend Paolo at [email protected] for a private driver. Frankly, I think seeing Volterra, San Gimignano and even Siena is a better deal and alot closer. For Rome, take the local bus or train into the city.

Mar 30th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Jim Hauck

Hi,

I'd skip Piza (noticing a trend here). Florence is wonderful. I'd agree that David is a must but I would say the Uffizi is also a must (Botticelli's Birth of Venus and Primavera and many other wonderful works). The Lines are terrible in the morning but not bad afer lunch. If you are there at sunset be sure to climb (or taxi) to the top of Piazza Michelangelo and watch the sunset turn the Arno gold and the mountains purple while sipping some of the best cocktails in Florence.

In Rome I'd say the Colleseum is the first thing I'd see.

Have fun. Italy has it all and you should have a wonderful time!

Apr 1st, 2002, 07:07 PM
Miriam

Thank you all for your kind replies. Will look into your suggestions. Certainly they all sound very good.
Thanks again
Miriam

Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:16 AM
chris

We just returned from Florence and did 2 walking tours with Walking Tours of Florence that were very good www.artviva.com. A "original" city walking tour and a 2 hour tour of the Uffizi hitting the major works (this also saved us having to reserve in advance as the company did it for us though our guide for the city walk was much more experienced and informative). For us, we've found that walking tours are the best way to get the most out of a short time in a art/historic city, much more informative then reading something out of a book.

Our best meal by far was at Baldovino's near Santa Croce, extremely reasonable and fantastic food. Their service is quick too. We got into the Accademia quickly without reservations by arriving just at opening.

Also enjoyed our walking tours in Rome with enjoyrome.com.