Tuscany/ Capri questions

Jan 11th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Tuscany/ Capri questions

We are going on our 2nd trip to Italy in August. Our plans are to fly into Rome and stay in Rome for 5days. Then take the train from Rome to Venice and stay in Venice 2 full days plus the day we arrive (we have been here before). Then take a train from Venice to Siena via Florence, spend the night in Siena and the next morning rent a car and see San Gimignano and Monteriggioni. Return car and take train to Rome. Spend 3more days in Rome. Then take train from Rome to Sorrento via Naples. Spend the evening in Sorrento and the next day go to Capri. Return from Capri and take the train back to Rome. Stay in Rome another 6 days.

My question is:

Is it possible to rent a car in Siena, visit both San Gimignano and Monteriggioni , return the car and catch a train back to Rome all in one day?

Also is it possible to get to Capri from Sorrento, visit Capri, return to Sorrento and catch a train back to Rome in one day?
Jan 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM

You are doing too much moving around and backtracking. If you haven't booked your airline tickets yet, book your flight in to Venice and out of Rome (or Naples). Visit Venice, train to Florence, train or bus to Siena, rent a car for Tuscany, drive to Sorrento (turn in car), spend time in Capri, boat to Naples, train to Rome.

Siena is a 3 hour bus or train ride to Rome so your daytrips plus travel to Rome is not practial.

You can daytrip to Capri from Sorrento, but if you were going on to Naples/Rome it would be better to take a ferry from Capri to Naples, not Sorrento. Then the problem is where to store your luggage.

How many hotels nights do you have for the whole trip?
Jan 11th, 2009, 09:07 PM

>>Is it possible to rent a car in Siena, visit both San Gimignano and Monteriggioni , return the car and catch a train back to Rome all in one day?

Also is it possible to get to Capri from Sorrento, visit Capri, return to Sorrento and catch a train back to Rome in one day?<<

Do-able, but foolish!!!!

On the San G thing - are you starting the day in Rome??

For both trips - you'll spent a lot of time getting there & back, but not much time "being there". Remember, lots of shops close for lunch.

Stu Dudley
Jan 12th, 2009, 04:28 AM

I agree with everyone who says this trip is all over the map, and you are going to be wilting from trying to do all that sightseeing and train hopping with luggage in the August heat.

On the outside chance this trip represents a lifelong dream and you are determined to go ahead;

How about looking into the possibility of picking up your car in Venice and driving it San Gimignano? Spend the night, visit Montereggioni the next day, and drive to Sorrento? Ditch the car and get on with your trip.

You miss Siena that way, but right now, you are not giving yourselves any time to see it anyway. If you actually do want to see Siena, I would drive from Venice to a place just outside Siena's walls and spend 3 nights there, giving up my car in Orvieto and taking a train to Rome. I would stay in Rome and simply get a tour bus to take me to Capri as a day trip.

I actually wouldn't do any of these things, but I'm trying to help you do what you want. If you are not terribly committed to seeing these particular things, try a different trip more geographically compact and more realistic about the difficulties of moving about Italy in August.

Jan 12th, 2009, 04:31 AM

In case it wasn't clear, I was suggesting that you drive from Venice to outside Siena's walls, enjoy Siena, do daytrips to Montereggioni and San Gimignano, and when you leave, drive in the direction of Orvieto (on the way to Rome, drop off the car, (see the cathedral there) and take the train into Rome. But I would take at least 3 nights near Siena to do this.
Jan 13th, 2009, 04:48 PM

midwesttravelers,

I too am confused by your plan. Why 3 different stays in Rome for a total of 2 weeks and only a day for Tuscan towns and a day or so for Capri? Too much time spent getting somewhere and not enough time being there!

Start at one end of the country fly out at the other. And, as much as I love Roma, add more time to the Tuscan portion and the Amalfi portion. I do like the idea of revisiting Venice and getting over jet lag there.

buon viaggio