From positano back to rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to spend 2 days in Capri then take ferry to Sorrento on Oct 11. We are going to take bus to positano and Amalfi for the day trip. Our flight is on Oct 13th at 11:30am. Do we need to go back to Rome on Oct 12 for the night in order to catch our next day flight or do we have enough time to catch the earliest train next morning from Naples to FCO airport in time?
your feedback is greatly appreciated
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 03:18 PM

I would be at FCO at 0900 for security. From Sorrento you will need at least 3 hours if all goes well. Can you afford to miss the fight?
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 03:25 PM

You can research train options on your own at:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Earliest train seems to be 4:07am, arriving FCO 7:23am. But, how is this better than staying overnight in Rome?

If your itinerary is:

Rome several days - Capri - Sorrento - Rome,

then if your schedule permits,

Capri - Sorrento - Rome several days

eliminates having to make this kind of decision and recoups one night and eliminates one check-in/out cycle in Rome.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

We are with Nurse Land tour of Italy (Rome, venice and Florence )from oct 1-8th, then my colleage and I are branching off to Capri. We have booked our hotel online for 2 days in Capri from 9-10th. We hope to visit positao and Amalfi on 11th and 12th. I understand that it would take longer time from Sorrento back to FCO. Do we have enough time to take train from Naples back to FCO to cath our flight on 13th at 11:30 am? We are advice to avoid Naples??
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 01:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would do as Greg suggests. E-mail your hotel in Capri and see if you can change dates.

Sorrento to Naples by train takes 75 minutes. You then have to catch a train to Rome. From Rome you have to catch another train to the airport. You can see how things could go wrong if any of your three trains are delayed. FCO check-in can be very slow at times. Spend your last few days in Rome.

If your tour ends in Florence, train to Naples (it will take about 3 1/2 hours to train from Florence to Naples) and catch the ferry to Capri (they don't run late so you will need to be in Naples early enough to get a ferry).
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
ira

Hi iz,

Consider the consequences, not the probability, of missing your flight.

I would spend the last night in Rome.

Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 01:54 PM

I agree with everyone above. The trains in Italy are notorious for being late. Get to Rome the night before your flight.
Last December/January we rented a house in a little town between Rome and Italy. One of the first things that the owner told us was to avoid Naples. We spent time in several towns on the Amalfi coast and there was so much to do that we really didn't have time to spend in Naples. Obviously Naples is a tourist site, but you will have plenty to do/see without going there, but if you must you need to be very careful about your purse, camera, passports and personal belongings