Search

Need itinerary help - Rome, Florence, Sorrento, and Venice in 16 days

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2010, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need itinerary help - Rome, Florence, Sorrento, and Venice in 16 days

I am trying to finalize the itinerary that should have been done weeks ago :]

Unfortunately the tickets are both in and out of Rome so I will have to do a little backtracking, unless we change the tickets because of a surprise wedding.

28th of July- Fly into Rome FCO then take train to Venice
28th - 31st : Venice, then train to Florence
31st - 4th of Aug: Florence, then train to Sorrento? (need help for Florence to Sorrento)
4th-7th: Sorrento - (for Pompeii, instead of staying in Naples) then train to Rome
7th-13th: Rome
13th: Fly home from Rome FCO

I am not sure if I should go to Venice or Sorrento first. I need some time and money saving tips for this itinerary, as well as any transportation suggestions on getting to Sorrento. I know it the Circumvesuviana it what take me there but is there a separate train station for this and how long would it take to get to Rome from Sorrento?
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

I know the* Circumvesuviana is* what take me there***
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:26 PM

You might consider changing your ticket with a entry/exit with Rome/Venice. The extra cost may be less than the cost of the train fare AND the value of the time spent. It's less than 5 hours, but...
Rome to Sorrento is easy, you (end and) switch in Naples and it's well marked to the Cicumvesuviana. Naples is like Little Nigeria, not what you'd expect, I was a bit shockesd, but, heads up. Try to get to Capri and Positano.
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:52 PM

You can also look into flying directly to Naples and then taking the train or shuttle from Naples to Sorrento. We are using Sorrento as a base to see Pompeii, Positano, and Capri.
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:53 PM

Sorry...did not realize you had already booked your tickets.
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
That's too much travel time. I would:

28th of July - Arrive Rome, train to Florence (only 90
minutes from Rome).
July 28- Aug 1 - Florence, train to Venice (2 hours)
Aug 1 - Aug 4 - Venice, fly to Naples (I see Easy Jet
26.99€). There is a shuttle bus from Naples
airport to Sorrento(10€).
Aug 4 - Aug 7 Sorrento, bus to Rome - Curreri or Marozzi
(cheaper than train 16-17€ and no changes, but
early departure)
Aug 7 - Aug 13 Rome

You could also take an overnight train from Venice to Naples which departs at 11:30pm and arrives Naples at 10am. Couchettes that sleep four are 69.80€ per person. A 2 person compartment would be about 95€, but you would be saving a hotel night.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I will def look into that! Would it be 95 euros per person or is that for the whole compartment?
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

How long are the bus rides instead of the trains?
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 06:34 AM

If the OP does trains like in the OP then by all means investigate the Italy Railpass - which, despite a Fodor's mantra is always a waste of money in Italy, for such a trip can actually save money - as i illustrated with an itinerary similar to the OP's a few weeks back (after someone said a railpass in Italy is rarely cost effective).

Great sites for planning an Italian rail trip - sites with tons of great info and not just an add to cart button - www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com. Passes must be bought outside of Italy.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

How do we get from airport to termini station?
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

And how much time should I leave between the aiport arrival and the train departure.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 08:19 AM

You take the Leonardo da Vinci express train from the airport to Termini. It is a well marked walk from the terminal to the airport train station.

If you are picking up a bag in baggage claim, that will take a long time. Also, your flight might be late arriving in Rome. Hard to judge, really. I guess I would err on the side of having too much time -- 3-4 hours, I would say.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 11:54 AM

>>>Bmeyer on Jun 1, 10 at 9:46am
How long are the bus rides instead of the trains?<<<

The bus would only be pratical for the Sorrento/Rome leg. Travel time by bus is about 3 1/2 hours. It lets you avoid changing train companies/lines in Naples. The train from Sorrento to Naples takes abut 75 minutes and the train from Naples to Rome takes 1:10 minutes for the fastest train so total travel time by train would be about 2:45. That doesn't factor in waiting for trains and making connections. The Sorrento train departs every 30 minutes, but the fast train Naples/Rome departs hourly, so you may have to wait in Naples an hour.

>>>Bmeyer on Jun 1, 10 at 11:28am
And how much time should I leave between the aiport arrival and the train departure.<<<

The Leonardo departs the airport at :06 and :36 and travel time to Termini is 30 minutes. If you are buying your tickets at the airport train station, just allow enough time in Termini to get to the departure track for Florence.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:38 PM

and since i believe the Leonardo Express comes into a remote track at Termini - or did two years ago when i were last there and there are about umpteen hundred tracks yes leave more fudge time than you imagine - then if time left over have a coffee in a station caffe.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We are still looking at hotels. Such a headache. Has anyone stayed at the Una Hotel in Rome, or the Best Pantheon B & B.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 08:24 PM

We just returned from 3 weeks in Italy and took the Curreri bus from Rome to Sorrento (after 4 nights in Rome)-the bus, a large and comfortable coach, departs Tiburtina station at 2 and arrives in Sorrento at 5:30. VERY easy- and avoids what sounds like a lot of chaos in Naples. We stayed 2 nights in Sorrento at the Antiche Mura hotel, which we loved- had a room in the garden wing just past the pool and through the lemon grove. Best breakfast of our entire trip. We too used Sorrento as a springboard to Pompeii, which is easily reached by a 35 min. train (our hotel was an easy walk from the train station). One caution about staying in Sorrento outside of town: a cab ride into or out of town is 15 euro even though it's not that far (just too far to walk- and we're walkers). We really enjoyed Sorrento and hope to return. Great shopping and food.
In Rome we stayed at the Residenza Canali which is in a wonderful location, 2 minutes from the Piazza Navona. It was a comfortable place to stay (but take a taxi there as it is hard to find when you first arrive!)
As far as whether to go to Sorrento or Venice first- we ended up in Venice last and where glad we did, because I think we would have gotten really frustrated by the number of times we got lost in Venice (constantly). We loved Venice, but were better able to handle its frustrations after nearly 3 weeks in Italy! By that point we'd slowed our pace considerably and no longer were stymied by how long service in restaurants, etc. took- but instead had begun to enjoy it.
Whatever you decide- have a wonderful trip. Its a magical place.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:51 AM

Sounds like the bus is the way to go Rome to Sorrento - curious as to how much the bus cost and did you just show up and buy tickets?

thanks
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:06 AM

Buses are often a better option than trains in Italy as travel time can be the same and cheaper. The shuttle bus from FCO airport to Rome Termini is much cheaper than the train (8€ v 14€).
http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/index.ph...emid=1&lang=en

The bus for Sorrento/Rome is 16-17.50€ depending on whether you use Curreri or Marozzi. Train would cost 3.40€ (Sorrento/Naples)+ 44.50€ (Naples/Rome).
http://www.marozzivt.it/biglietteria...pobigl=marozzi
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

>>>One caution about staying in Sorrento outside of town: a cab ride into or out of town is 15 euro even though it's not that far <<<

Many hotels outside of town have free shuttles or are on the city bus line.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:29 AM

allib123 did you experience Naples personally or somebody told you that Naples is a little Nigeria? And did you visit Nigeria personally or someone told you all about that country?
Bmeyer there isn't much difference if you go either way, is waste of time. Buses are the the cheapest, trains are more comfortable, check meridiana.it or easyjet.com for a one-way cheap flight from Naples to Venice or viceversa.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM

Yes, I have experienced the Naples train station personally, but have not been to Nigeria. Any Italian can tell you of the Nigerian presence in their country, and their accent and appearance makes them visible amongst the Italians, other Europeans, Asians, etc. Many are on the trains carrying large black trash bags filled with illegal/fake designer handbags. They travel in groups of 4-6, using the trains to commute to "work". Have you not heard of this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -