Tuscany and Umbria

Feb 13th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Tuscany and Umbria

My husband and I are headed to Italy in May and want to spend three days and nights exploring this region. I am looking for suggestions on places (inns and towns) to stay for the night and must see areas.
thanks for any help you can give!
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:31 PM

You are tallking here about two regions; will you have a car? Do you plan to include Florence or bypass it on this trip? Do you want to stay the 3 nights in one place? What are you interested in..scenery? Wine? Architecture? With only 3 nights, you will have to be very discerning.
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

We will have a car, we are picking the car up in Florence, after spending the two previous nights there, and returning it in Rome. We are interested in food and wine and architecture.
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Great! Car is important. Now what about price range for hotels?
Feb 13th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

we would like to stay under or around 175 USD a night. Is that realistic? thanks for all of your help.
Feb 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Yes, you can have options at that price range: 135 Euro. Next decision is whether or not to base yourself in one place and take day trips with the car, or to pick 2 or 3 places which means moving hotels once or twice (I would not recommend the last).
You must realize that you are not going to cover even a small portion of Tuscany and Umbria in 3 days and nights. If I were taking this trip, I would probably choose one spot and do the day trips. Although I am not usually a fan of the day trip method of travel, it might be better in this case since your time is so limited.

Now...which towns? If you want to choose two, I might consider one night in San Gimignano and two nights in Southern Tuscany in either Pienza or Montepulciano or in an agriturismo within reach of these last two. Although I have been to these areas, I do not have the expertise of some others here who have made multiple trips for lengthy stays. Hopefully, Stu Dudley or BobNavigator and some of the other Tuscan/Umbria experts will chime in. Some may tell you to include Siena but I would not, feeling that you will get more of a feel for the area if you concentrate on smaller towns and villages.

I actually would leave out Umbria on this trip. Unless you want to spend the time IN Umbria and skip the Tuscan countryside. Otherwise there is not enough time.
Feb 13th, 2007, 01:26 PM

crooks21,
Send me an e-mail and I will send you some suggestions.

Henry
Feb 14th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your help and great ideas. Do you think it would be wise to spend only one night in Florence and add a night to Tuscany?
Feb 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM

That is a tough call. It really depends on whether or not you prefer city to countryside. I would not give up a day in Florence and I would not suggest doing so unless you absolutely hate cities. I have been to Florence many times, most recently last winter when I spent 5 days there. Even with all that time, probably 3 weeks-plus over the years, there is so very much I have not yet seen.

So: think about it like this: If you give up one day there, will you still have one FULL day? If so, you could consider just picking a couple of sights and concentrating on them, leaving the rest for your next trip. For example: Accademia and Duomo in the morning. Then head for Central Market for a sandwich at Nerbone. After lunch visit the Uffizi, then do a brief walking tour from Piazza della Signoria, over the Ponte Vecchio to Santo Spirito...have dinner in the Oltrarno, at Il Guscio or Alla Vecchia Bettola.. There are a million possibilities for doing an overview in one day and I am sure our Florentine experts who know the city much better than I can offer some great ideas...Just be aware that you will be barely scratching the surface of the city..but hopefully you will return one day for further exploration. If you are renting a car, perhaps you should take advantage of that and add a day to the countryside.....so hard to decide!