Tuscany

Old Apr 20th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscany

Going to Tuscany in early July, and as we have stayed in San G and Sienna before we were thinking of staying in Arezzo. Is this a good idea, or has anyone other suggestion? Would be appreciated any imput.
Grazie
Pachet
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 04:58 AM

For how long would you be based there? I think maybe branching out could be rewarding, consider the Maremma, or a small town up the Sechio river valley above Lucca, may be interesting - but also depends on what you are looking for, who is traveling, etc.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:17 AM

Early July is a very hot and crowded time in Tuscany, and while I very much like Arezzo, you might consider places in the Maremma where you could catch a sea breeze and head to either the beach or a river or natural spring during the week (not on weekends!) Food and wine is very good and very varied in the Maremma. Were it me, I would look for an agriturismo with a pool plus its own food and wine served at dinner.

If cultural sightseeing -- museums, churches, monuments -- is a big part of your enjoyment of Tuscany, the area of the Maremma has less of that, although there are some towns and artistic sights of real interest.

http://www.tuttomaremma.com/en/

Here is a typical agriturismo in a well-located area:

http://www.aione.it/

Were I considering the area of Arezzo, I would definitely want to head as far up into the hills as I practical. Actually, I might give Tuscany the slip completely in July and head instead into the hills of Montefeltro, just over the border in Le Marche, with all its fascinating small towns. You can google up information like this:

http://www.grandealberoturismo.com/p...ntefeltro.aspx

And here's an agriturismo right on the Le Marche border with Tuscany, less than an hour from Arezzo

http://www.pievesp.it/agriturismo.htm#rooms
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:23 AM

I love the Val d'Orcia area. Look into an agriturismo near Pienza or Montepulciano. The area is, in my opinion, the most beautiful in Tuscany. There are plenty of small towns to visit and some great hiking/walking. You can also drive south from there to visit some of the Maremma region that InFlorence suggests (the towns of Pitigliano and Sorano are interesting- google for photos and info).

The Crete Senese area (located just south of Siena) is also quite beautiful. When I stay near Pienza I always take a few drives in the area. Nice hiking and beautiful photos- especially in the morning and late afternoon near sunset.

I like the Rough Guide Tuscany and Insight Guide Tuscany for pointing me in the right directions while visiting. Be sure to pick up a detailed map.

How many days? How many people? What are your interests?
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:25 AM

Arezzo has a number of attractions, but the juxtaposition of the modern and the old in some parts of town give it a very different feel than San G and Siena, both of which have a more consistent medieval feel (at least within the walls of Siena). Like InFlorence, I think the vicinity of Lucca, or perhaps Lucca itself, would be interesting. Pitigliano and Pienza are also charming. We have usually stayed in smaller towns than San G and Siena (Casole, Barberino) to get the feel of the town (renting an apartment for a week), and those provide quiet refuges as well as a good base for exploration.
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 06:59 AM

I enjoy spending time in Arezzo--especially in the strangely angled piazza at the top of the hill, but I prefer to base myself in Southern Tuscany, specifically the Val d'Orcia region as zoecat already suggested. With the towns of Pienza, Montepulciano, Montalcino, San Quirico d'Orcia all so close together, it makes for an easy area to drive around and there are plenty of good restaurants, vinyards, architectural wonders to keep everybody happy.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your replies, we are going for 6 nights, we are in our mid 50's but very active, love walking, foodies and love the food markets and local wines and I speak the language. Can anyone please tell me if the train is the only way from Arezzo to Rome, as all I can find is a train leaving at 7.45am, but we need to catch a 12noon flight from Fiumicino to Malta. If we go by train from Arezzo to Rome, we will need to get another train to the airport and worried if we will have time. Is there a bus?
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The earliest train I see leaves at 4:58 and arrives Rome's Tiburtina station at 6:56 (19.50€). From Tiburtina you take the local train to FCO (8€)which departs every 15 minutes and travel time is 45 minutes.

Next train is at 6:30 and arrives Termini at 8:24 (21€ 2nd-29€ 1st).

A fast AV/ES train departs 7:36 and arrives Termini at 8:45 (36€ 2nd 53€ 1st.)
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much kybourbon, and where can I see the timetable, and it is wish to book as it is the peak season.
pachet