Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

We want to stay in a city in Tuscany, which one??

Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

We are trying to figuer out where we want to stay in Tuscany. We want to be in a city, not necessarily out in the countryside, but we would like to have somewhere with nice views and balconies. We have looked at Cortona and San Gimignano. We will have a car and plan to drive around Tuscany and spend a day in Florence. Where would you suggest we go? Any places to stay? Thanks so much in advance!
Mar 24th, 2004, 04:00 AM

ttt
Siena was lovely.
Mar 24th, 2004, 08:22 AM

Everybody has his/her own idea of what a city is. The usual term "city" suggests something pretty big such as Florence, Lucca, Pisa, Siena. There just aren't many cities that size in Tuscany.

On the other hand, you have offered Cortona and San Gimignano as examples of your concept of a "city." I would consider both of those to be in the category of "village." But using your criteria, there are dozens of such towns (I won't call the cities) in Tuscany. You named two, and there are many more of that size where you could stay. For towns about the size of the ones you named, you might consider some of my favorites: Volterra, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza. Of those, I always choose Montalcino because of the charm of the old town and the views across the Tuscany hills. Good luck.
Mar 24th, 2004, 01:53 PM

My top 3 would be:
Montalcino
Montepulciano
San Gimignano

Cortona is not well located. If you want a larger town then Siena is your best choice.
Mar 24th, 2004, 02:30 PM

My husband and I picked Montalcino as our home base because of recommendations on this board, and its proximity to other towns in Southern Tuscany. We plan to visit the surrounding areas, and the Chianti region. Our trip is in one week, so I'll let you know how it goes!
Mar 24th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Siena, Siena, Siena--great central location to explore the rest of Tuscany and tons to offer on its own.
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:37 AM

On my last visit, my cousin and I stayed in Siena and did our day trips to places such as San Gimingnano, Radda, Monteriggioni, Greve, etc. This trip (mid May) we?re spending 7 nights in Montepulciano to see the southern towns: Pienza, Montalcino, Cetona, Arezzo, Cortona, (though you can do Arezzo from Siena), etc. We'll also be in Siena again and will day trip to Volterra and Colle Val d'Elsa. Our Hotel Piccolo Oliveta is located just outside the town walls (porta Romana) and they have parking. It was very easy to get around for our day trips. We just walked into town to sightsee or for dinner.
Apr 19th, 2004, 10:43 AM

We just got back from a wonderful trip to Italy, and we spent 3 nights in San Gimignano. We stayed at Hotel La Cisterna, and had a wonderful room with a small balcony and a fantastic view. However, after seeing Siena, we wish that we would have stayed there. While I was sure that I would love San Gimignano, I think a few hours there during a day trip would have been plenty. There is absolutely nothing to do in the evening. By 8:00 pm the only things open are the few restaurants and a gelato shop. Since it is dark, you can't take advantage of the view.