TUSCANY - 3 days

May 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

TUSCANY - 3 days

Can anybody give me their ideas about how best to spend 3 days/nights in Tuscany?
It's our first time there and I would defintely like to go to Siena, and I have also read that Monte Argentario on the coast is worthwhile.
I will be driving from Civitavecchia and then back to Rome Fiumcino airport
tks
May 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM

Whatever you do I would pick a single town or area to spend all 3 nights in 1 spot. I like it near Pienza because you are within an hours drive of many great hill towns (Montepulciano, Montalcino, Siena, San Quirico, Monteriggioni, Orvieto, etc, etc,). Some of these are only a 15 to 20 minute drive. There are a lot of good agriturismo's in this area also. One I love is Ceretto near Pienza. We have stayed there twice and love the place. Reasonable prices, a central location and great people.
May 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Coming from that direction, I would prefer to stay in Montalcino and day trip to Siena from there. Check out the route via Grosetto.
May 8th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for the info.

1. If I stayed around Grosetto - do you think this is too far from all the towns you have mentioned?

2. Has any body been to Pitigliano and Monte Argenatrio?
May 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM

I also feel that staying near Pienza is a good base. You will be about 1 hour from Siena. There are plenty of small towns and beautiful landscapes to explore in the area, plus Pienza and Montepulciano.

Pitigliano is one of my favorite places. Be sure to visit Sorano also, which is just 15 minutes from Pitigliano. From Pienza, it is a 1.5 hour drive to Pitigliano.

The Insight Guide Tuscany is a good resourse for planning your daily excursions.

http://www.amazon.com/Insight-Guide-.../dp/1585733008

A great place to stay-

http://www.fontebertusi.it/eng/

Is there any way to add another day or two (or a week!) to your stay in the area?
May 8th, 2009, 08:35 AM

Yes, that is too far. And, I have been to all of the above, but you only have 3 days--I would pick one location.
May 8th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Another vote for Pienza. Here is my trip report and photos from our visit there in 2006.
http://travelswithdiane.homestead.co...15Tuscany.html
May 8th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the very useful info from everybody
May 9th, 2009, 07:45 PM

read before you go - or take with you iris origo's war in val d'orcia... it's the val d'orcia (valley of the orcia river) you'll be overlooking from pienza... and pitigliano/sorano are unvisited & striking... be sure to walk some of the vie cave - sunken etruscan roads
May 10th, 2009, 11:55 PM

what town would be good to use as a base, without a car, using trains to take day trips? I was thinking Florence, or maybe Siena...
May 11th, 2009, 03:10 AM

As a transport hub, Florence is far better than Siena. From Florence it is easy to reach places such as Arezzo, Lucca, Pisa, Bologna etc, as well as further afield (although Rome is reachabe in 90 minutes).

Search this Thread