Search

Tuscan Deli

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuscan Deli

I am planning a return trip to Tuscany in April. The last time we went I read on this site about a deli or sorts that was located right off of one of the main highways that was suppossed to be great. We did not make it last tine, and now I can't find any information about it. I recall the posting was by one of the regulars who posts on this site. Any help appreciated.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:20 AM
cherylforeurope

Are you thinking of the autogrill?

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Or are you thinking of the famous L'Antica Macelleria Cecchini, the butcher shop of Dario Cecchini in Panzano, in the Chianti region of Italy, between Florence and Siena?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:53 AM

Unfortunately I cannot tell you which it was, but there is an Autogrill stop near Tuscany that is a veritable feast..a huge, full and complete hot and cold buffet...more food choices than I have ever seen in any Autogrill...perhaps another Fodorite knows which one I am remembering???
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 06:00 AM

There is an Autogrill close to the Montepulciano exit of the Rome-Florence highway. I am glad that someone brought this place up, as I had watched Foodtv and had seen Mario Batali rave about how great this place was. I did not stop at the one near Montepulciano (that is but one of several along this highway) but I was happy to see one in the Rome airport. Let me tell you: it was awful! Panini for high prices on stale bread. We did not try the hot selections as thankfully I had brought lots of food from a deli in Bologna. It was very disappointing. Perhaps this is due to the fact that it was a Sunday and they did not have fresh bread, but I had expected something far better after watching Batali gush about it. So my advice is: If that is the place you are asking about, do not bother to make a special stop.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I suspect that I am talking about the autogrill. (It is not the Butcher in Panzano, that's on my list as well). I do think the posts I recall reading did say that it was right off one of the main highways. Also, whoever referred it on this board posted a lot of information on his/her favorate restaurants in Tucsany and had some great places included.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:17 AM

I have always wondered where this "food is great at the AutoGrille" rumor got started.

I've found them consistently repulsive!
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:26 AM

You may be right about the quality...don't know as we didn't sample, just looked...so how do we explain Mario Batali????
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Once again, I am not sure if the place I am referring to is an Autogrill, I just remember a regular contributor to this site once have a great recommendiation to a deli located close the the a major highway in Tuscany, but I do not remember any further information about it.