Reload this Page >

Turkish Ceramic Tiles

Search

Turkish Ceramic Tiles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 02:49 PM
Dee

Turkish Ceramic Tiles

I'm leaving for Turkey in a couple of days, and would love some shopping advice here. I visited Istanbul a few years back, fell totally in love with the Iznik tiles and other ceramic objects. As I was only in Istanbul, I managed to buy a small tile from a shop in the Grand Bazaar. However, on this forthcoming trip I'll have 3 weeks around the country. The guidebooks say that Kutahya is the ceramic center, while not much is left at Iznik. Will I find Iznik stuff at Kutahya? Would the price be significantly better outside Istanbul? Any hints would be apreciated.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:16 PM
alan

Hi We were in Istanbul last Oxtober and brought home some ceramic tiles.. We bought it at another bazaar rather than the Grand Bazaar. It was less crowded and more comfortable for browsing. I don't know what is or isn't a good price but we bought two different types and paid cash USD rather than credit cards and received a discount. The man took his time with us explaining the differences and showing us many different designs. We bought tiles for us and our children. He also packed it very well and we carried it home with us.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 01:50 AM
Kavey

We bought found most tiles we saw in the Grand Bazaar looked mass produced but since we were just buying them because we liked the pretty design that was OK. <BR> <BR>The ones we chose were a few dollars each, very very cheap. <BR> <BR>I think they were designed for display on a wall as they are backed with a thin layer of felt, and had a hanging thread which I removed. <BR> <BR>They are circular, about 6 inch diameter and I use the one I kept as a giant coaster for my breakfast tea, it would make a great hot plate for the dining table too. <BR> <BR>Can't comment on the more genuine hand made tiles...

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Marty

Hope you find some great tiles! I'm going back in April and that's my aim - to get tiles for my kitchen and bathrooms (building a new home). Anyway, we're heading to Kutahya too. My husband travels to/from Turkey all the time and I've ended up with a LOT of really great ceramics - I'm sure prices in Kutahya will be cheaper than Istanbul (everything is cheaper than Istanbul except gold which is sold by weight). I'm sure there will be Iznik tiles there. My biggest purchase was a very large (and I mean VERY large) ginger jar which sits next to my fireplace on the floor - had it shipped home (shipping cost was as much as the jar!) but it came in a wooden crate - filled with liquid foam surround - not a chip or scratch. Happy shopping!

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Marty

Oops! Didn't notice the date of your post... so instead...hope you found some great stuff!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 11:22 AM
bo

Here is our web page about Turkish Tiles and Mirrors <BR>www.turkish-tiles.com <BR>Ibo

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 03:41 AM
Dee

Marty, <BR>I did not get to Kutahya, after all, but managed to bought a few Kutahya-made tiles from the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. After I got back home, I read Henry Glassie's Traditional Turkish Arts, which has several chapters on Kutahya workshops. A wonderful read.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:13 PM
rrr

BUY in Istanbul - thepoor economy in Turkey means less and poorer quality outside of the big cities. I missed out on incredible textiles and tiles because I waited untilthe end of our trip (far away from Istanbul).

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 02:50 AM
Mert

Sirca is the shop name that I can offer you to buy ceramic products in Istanbul, following the walls of Topkapi Palace down to the sea, it is near Barut Guest House. From K&uuml;tahya I do like the products of Naz cini(The owner is a textile engineer and she poduces at her own house) , Sitki Usta products(his style is different than any others).<BR>Hope you a nice trip.

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the best iznik tıles plates bolws potery they work Wıht world know shops lıke conran Shop in grandbazaar iznikworks.