Turkey Observations: Other Info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Onur Air is a no frills airline with way too many seats for the size of the plane; read NO LEG ROOM! If possible request an emergency exit row. Other than that the crew was friendly and they were on time for 3 out of the 4 legs we flew on them.

Although we didn’t take any long bus rides because we chose to fly, we did take a dolmus from Goreme to Avanos and the dolmus was very clean. There don’t seem to be any bus stops. The dolmus just stops when people on the side of the road wave.

Don’t be surprised if the two lane road you are on is being utilized as if it was a three lane road. This is quite common. You may want to be blindfolded during taxi rides. It can be a frightening experience

Bring toilet paper and have it with you each time you go into a toilet. I would guess that about 70% of the public bathrooms didn’t have toilet paper. Most of them were quite clean though. Make sure you carry change. Most toilet fees are .50-.75 YTL.

Bring earplugs!! The first call to prayer was at 4:15 in the morning and it is broadcast from every mosque around. In Sultanahmet we were near at least 4 mosques so even with earplugs we still heard it.

Bring a small calculator to calculate the exchange rate. Very helpful when shopping.

Look at the money carefully. There are still notes with the 6 zeros so make sure you know how much money you are giving someone and count your change. We didn’t get ripped off anywhere.

Budget travelers will have no trouble finding cheap meals. Kebap joints are as common in Turkey as Starbuck’s Coffee is in the Northwest part of USA!

I felt incredibly safe everywhere we went. Unlike some cities like Budapest and Rome where I am extra cautious, I never felt anyone was waiting for me to put my guard down so they could mug me.

Take some time to learn a few words in Turkish. I listened to a Turkish CD for a couple of months prior to our trip and learned quite a bit. That along with a Turkish phrase book was a big help. Many people speak English but I like watching the surprised look on their face when I spoke to them in Turkish. At least learn please and thank you.

I may post more observations as I remember them.

As soon as I load my photos to a website, edit and name them I will post a link. Feel free to ask questions.

Our short 2 week trip through Turkey was one of the most memorable trips I have ever taken. I have no doubt that I will return again soon. The scenery if fascinating, the people are wonderful and the food is delicious!

Stay tuned for a link to my photos coming up in a few days!

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 01:51 PM

Your trip description is fabulous! Reminded me of my trip in 2001. I, too, loved Turkey and found people warm, friendly and generally open.

I know others will recommend it, but it's helpful to have one long post, with each section being attached as a reply to the previous post. It allows us to read the trip in its entirety.

I was surprised only by your comments about the Spice Market; I preferred it over the Grand Bazaar because it was so much more accessible and seemed to be a market that was frequented as much by locals as by tourists. Interestingly, I don't remember being bothered all that much by the hustling touts.

I laughed about the dolmus ride. I took one dolmus from Urgup to Ayvali. I asked when did the dolmus leave? and was told "When it's full", And they weren't kidding: no formal schedule, just waiting till it was full. And it was-- the van/bus was PACKED with people, and I shared the front passenger seat with two elderly men (I, a youngish middle-aged woman, too!), half sitting on one gent's lap! If I'm not mistaken, dolmus means "stuffed",

I agree with many of your recommendations. Learning a little Turkish went a long way to making others feel good. It showed my respect that I made an effort.
I also agree wholeheartedly about the earplugs! And, agree, too about bringing toilet paper.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Am loving your reports . . . we leave July 12, going on your exact same itinerary . . . your reports are invaluable.

Thank you so much for posting!
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Now my entire report can be found under the heading "Turkey! All Reports Now Combined in 1."

Progol, maybe my experience in the spice market is due to the fact that I am very obviously not Turkish. I have blond hair and blue eyes so I seemed to be a bit of an atraction to the Turks. The call from 3 different directions at a time of "Hallo! Where are you from?" became a bit overwhelming. By the time I made it down to the end of one very long aisle, I was saying that to everyone before they had a chance to say it to me and everyone got a kick out of it with lots of laughter and smiles.

When meeting the touts you will find that most of them have a "friend" or "cousin" near where you live. Because of this we also started telling the Turkish touts that we were from Turkey. They weren't sure how to resond at first but when they realized we were joking they heartily laughed with us.

I truly enjoyed the conversations I had with the amazing salesmen in the markets.

Sandy, Susan from Toronto shared with me that she has been communicating with you for a couple of years regarding your travels. You will love Turkey! Hotel Bella in Selcuk gets rave reviews. We talked to several people that were staying there and they all said it was great!

Happy Trails!

Tamara
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Hi Tamara,

I went to Turkey 10 years ago and ever since, it has been my very most favorite place I've ever been (and I've been to 41 countries). I am excited about going back!

I went to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia a couple of years ago and Vietnam tied Turkey in the top spot. It's an incredible destination . . . I hope you pick it.

I'm thinking Croatia in the fall and I've read you've been so now I need to go search for those posts . . . you give great info/reports.

BTW, SusaninToronto and I are kindred spirits . . . we always seem to be going the same places at the same time and we share info. I'm hoping I'll run into her someday . . . and you, too!

Thanks,
Sandy (in Denton)