Turkey Itinerary For First Time Visitor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Turkey this spring and am seeking advice. I plan to spend about 10 full days in Turkey. Based on my preliminary research, it looks like Istanbul, The Aegean (Selcuk, Kusadasi, Ephesus, Bodrum) and Cappadocia are the most popular destinations in Turkey.

Is it possible to visit these 3 locations in 10 days without a physical breakdown? I do not want to tour Turkey at breakneck speed. I would like to be able to see the sites at a relaxed pace.

If you do think this I can see all three of these locations in 10 days, how should I allocate my time? I was thinking 4 days in Istanbul, 3 days in the Aegean and 3 days in Cappodocia. Does that make sense?

If you don't think 10 days is enough time to visit all of these locations, which one would you cut? I am definitely interested in seeing Istanbul and would like to spend some time at the beach. However, I've read wonderful things about Cappodocia and am reluctant to skip it.

Finally, I am trying to decide whether to visit in late May or early June. When do you think is a better time to visit if there's a difference?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 08:48 AM

Desidero,

Ten days would be pushing a "relaxed pace", but by using one of the local airlines, Turkish Airlines or Onur Air (best fares) you might be able to see all three areas.

My personal preference in traveling is to see a lot of little rather than a little of a lot, so, IMHO, I'd save the Aegean (or Med) for another trip. The good news is any combination of the areas you choose will be a winner.

A great trip planning resource I used before our trip to Turkey in September was turkeytravelplanner.com.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:42 AM

"Is it possible to visit these 3 locations in 10 days without a physical breakdown? "

Yes it is. I did it last October in 11 days. But as the previous poster recommends, you must fly between the three points. My flights were arranged by the excellent services of Murat at Propertravel ([email protected]) and he also arranged my accommodation in Cappadocia (and balloon rides) where he is based. We used Turkish airlines and Sun Express for the internal flights.

" I was thinking 4 days in Istanbul, 3 days in the Aegean and 3 days in Cappodocia. Does that make sense? "

Yes, good sense. I did exactly this, with an extra day in the Aegean area (I skipped Kusadasi in favour of Sirince with no regrets, though stick with the extra day in K if you want beach time. However, there is a beach 5KMs from Selcuk which I frequented often). Also, I flew from Istanbul to Izmir, picked up my car from the airport and drove from there to Selcuk. The 1 hour 15 min drive was a very easy and pleasant one, and I then had a car to explore Ephesus, Sirince and the surrounding area at my leisure. Murat can also arrange your car hire, as he did mine. Gas is expensive however, so be warned.

The Aegean coast is fine, but the turquoise Mediterranean is better. Unfortunately, I don't think you can include that region with the current itinerary.

Let me know if you need more info.
I'm still tapping away at my trip report.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM

We were in Turkey for 12 days, but I honestly think we could have cut a day around Ephesus and a day in Cappadocia. We also flew between places. We were in Istanbul 3 and half days, then flew to Cappadocia where 2 days and 1 night are sufficient. Then I would fly to the Aegean coast where 1st I'd see Ephesus, and the remainder of your trip try to find a gulet (Turkish wooden ship) for 2 or 3 days and go along the coast stopping at various towns and ancient ruins. You will be busy, but also have plenty of time to relax, and unless you are an antiquities scholar or history major, you will see the most important sights in those areas, so even if you never get back, you have covered all the biggies!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:32 AM

ttt
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:55 AM

there's a good trip report called "turkey in the straw" that you might want to search for.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:04 PM

bookmarking
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:44 AM

As Mathieu suggested, you can easly do this itinerary, just to keep 3 days at Istanbul on arrival and 1 last day before leaving Turkey, by this way you won't rush on the roads trying to catch your flight. May or early june will not make much difference, only May is high season in Cappadocia.

Mathieu; thanks for the nice words I am blashed to read and thrilled as well. You are always welcome for more...

Happy Travelling,
Murat
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:23 PM

GREAT thread! I am planning a first trip to Turkey and Greece right now from Barcelona for this May/June & thrilled I found this.We are on a RTW trip,planning as we go,so I can use all the help I can get.

http://www.soultravelers3.com/

I loooved this as it is just what we want to do:

"We were in Istanbul 3 and half days, then flew to Cappadocia where 2 days and 1 night are sufficient. Then I would fly to the Aegean coast where 1st I'd see Ephesus, and the remainder of your trip try to find a gulet (Turkish wooden ship) for 2 or 3 days and go along the coast stopping at various towns and ancient ruins. "

Do I need a travel agent for this and how much will that cost?

I will be probably staying at a campground near Istanbal ( we are traveling via small RV) as we will drive from Greece.

Am I going to have problems booking things for May?

Also how far in advance should I book things?? as we tend to go at a whim, so it is hard to know exactly our timing.

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 11:25 PM

How small ( scary?) are the planes for these flights?
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 02:25 AM

Try to stay 2 days at Cappadocia. Usually flights from Istanbul will vary between 90 YTL to 160 YTL per person, from Kayseri to Izmir there are direct flights, also cost about 90 to 120 YTL per person.
Airport transfers if with shuttle is 15 YTL per person and 90 Usd private.

Hotels will vary between 60 Euros to 120 depending on your preferance for a double incl. brekafsat and taxes.

If you wish to join to tours private or regular will make the price......60 usd to 160 Usd per person

Hiring a car in may 50-55 usd daily unlimited milage including insurance...

Happy travelling,

Murat
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Thank you very much Murat, that is very helpful!!