Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Turkey fire code problems with building entry doors

Old May 4th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently returned from a two week tour of Turkey. I noticed on two truck stops and my last hotel the entry doors only opened inward. In the USA this would be a fire code violation. You can imagine trying to get the doors open if a crowd is rushing the exit at once. Everyone would pile up against the doors and you couldn't pull them back to get out. I didn't notice this until late in my trip.

Anyone going in the future please advise if this appears to be common thoughout Turkey.

I find it odd. Of course like any 3rd & 1/2 world country you will see safety hazards that would never fly in the USA. I joked with the other tourists Turkey needs a ton of lawyers like the USA.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:08 AM

I think this is just one of those differences. I'm sure there was a thread on here about house doors opening inwards or outwards (someone's query about adding French doors?) and it was clear that some areas/countries had it one way, and others had it the other. And both found their way to be logically the best.
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:31 AM

Thanks we do not have that many lawyers which Makes Turkey = Turkey..... In some way we hare happy to be 3rd world !!! country...Which I still do not understand when things not same like home why we do get the blame ?
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:43 AM

Many doors here open inward too. I wouldn't exactly call Belgium a 3rd world country.

Thank god we don't have tons of lawyers here.
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:56 AM

I live in Finland. We often have double doors. Inside door opens inwards, outer one opens outwards. And we are not in the habit of sueing people over every little incident.
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:37 AM

Bubbagum,

The other way to look at it is if the door is jammed for some reason, it's a lot easier to break it in from the outside if it opens inwards, than trying to force an outward opening door. different countries do things in different ways.
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:32 AM

"Different ways" isn't an argument.

Inward-opening doors have killed massively more people than jammed ones (I've never even heard of it happening).
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

My apologies about the 3 1/2 world reference. Turkey is a lovely country, quite modern and I enjoyed the people a great deal.

I was being sarcastic in my reference to a "ton of lawyers" in America. Most Americans like myself don't like the lawsuit culture we've gotten into.

All that being said, Elina in Finland has it right in my opinion.

I hope all countries pass building codes that improve fire safety especially in night clubs, hotels, etc.
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:11 AM

Thank you BubbaGum and I can not agree more especially the last sentence of your wish on building codes in this case...Got your message......

Regards,
Murat
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:39 AM

My understanding is that the regulations in the US date from the Triangle Factory Fire in 1911, in which 146 people died - one of the changes resulting from this fire was that commercial doors now had to open outward.

We've certainly noticed that this is not the case in France. Some do, some don't.
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM

I just came out of a restaurant in SF, recently renovated, and the doors open toward the inside.