Search

Turkey and Switzerland from October 25 for two weeks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2014, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey and Switzerland from October 25 for two weeks

Hello,

I am planning a two week trip to Turkey and Switzerland from October 25th. is this a good time to visit these two countries ?

This is our first time in Europe. Are these two countries a good combination and are 15 days enough to visit them ?

Thanks.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 03:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, you can play golf and swim at Belek, Antalya in Southern Turkey in late October and early November.

You may also be lucky enough to ski at some of the higher Swiss Alpine resorts.

Otherwise, check the historic weather data for a few cities like Geneva and Zurich in Switzerland and for istanbul, Izmir, Kayseri, Antalya, Fethiye in Turkey.

All restaurants. bars, shops and night clubs should be open in both countries.

Outdoor cafes will be serving in Turkey if there is no unusual rain or cold weather.

There is a one day national holiday , on October 29 in Turkey when banks and businesses will be closed but museums, shops, restaurants will be open.

Since you prefer to keep your interests a secret from us, that is all I can say.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

Thanks for your post. We will be a family of 4 with 2 kids aged 11 and 9. We would like to visit historical places and do some outdoor sightseeing. Plus try all local food (it needs to be vegetarian).

Do you think Turkey and Greece might be a good combination considering that most of Switzerland will be cold during this time ?

Thanks.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 12:50 PM

I was in Switzerland in mid October quite a few years ago and it was miserable. We had rented a BMW convertible and had to drive with the top up all the time.

Also, unless you leave the large cities (which you may not be able to because of the time of the year), it is one of the most expensive countries in the world except for fuel.

If you want two countries, why don't you do Italy and Turkey or Spain and Turkey? You will get the cultural and cuisine differences, lots of different types of history and better weather.

Of'course, if you think you will get another chance to repeat your European sojurn soon, I would advise that you pick only one country, Turkey and a major European capital such as Paris, London, Madrid or Rome. Seven days for a large country with a great deal to offer is very little, but 4-5 days each for two major cities and the same for outdoor sightseeing will be fine.

If you are willing to make it ten days in Turkey, you may consider three options :

Istanbul + Cappadocia (fly)
Istanbul + Ephesus, Pamukkale, Fethiye (fly + drive)
Istanbul + Antalya, Kas, Fethiye (fly + drive)

Please check those magic names, the trip reports of previous visitors on this very site.

Fot the non-Turkish part, London and Paris are the big names but will again be expensive and I am not sure how much your kids will remember Paris some years later unless they speak French and visit places like La Cite. I am not sure how easy it will be for you to find a great deal of vegetarian fare in Paris.

London will be good if you can manage to take them to a suitable play like The Lady in Black which my kids had loved at about the age yours are, and never forgot, although they forgot the musicals they saw. the tower and Madame Tussaud may also be of interest to them. You will find excellent vegetarian fare in london but will have to check reviews and not find yourself in tourist traps.

Rome has all the ancient sites and terrific pasta and pizza for vegetarians.

Istanbul, has lots of historic sites plus an excellent museum for the kids, Rahmi Koc Museum, the Bosphorus, Rumeli fortress, exciting walks, fun fairs in shopping malls, a theme park, two good aquariums, 6-900 year old city walls, locations where films like the latest james Bond and Argo and Taken II were filmed. the archeological museum has theme sections plus, mummies (even of a cat) and similar stuff.

You have to google for the one of a kind Cappadocia with its caves, underground cities, balloon rides, fairy chimneys and great hiking trails and canyons yourself.

the internal flights in Turkey are quite cheap. car rental is not bad although fuel is very expensive. People love kids.

Turkish cuisine is vegetable, grain and pulse based so you will ave no problem with eating vegatarian. Late October will be great time for excellent tomatoes, cucumbers, fresh pinto beans, fresh white beans, lettuce, tangerines, apples, Jujube, pears, radishes, leeks and the ever present cabbag, egg plant, zuccini and hot and sweet Turkish green and red chilies.

If you eat yoghurt, Turkish yoghurt is terrific. (Try Kanlica yoghurt in Istanbul only)

In the area around Ephesus, you will get sauteed wild greens eaten with olive oil and lemon which are terrific.

Also try "samphire" salad in Istanbul or on the Aegean.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 02:35 PM
kja

"This is our first time in Europe. Are these two countries a good combination and are 15 days enough to visit them ?" I think that really depends on what you want to see and experience. Both countries have much to offer. I don't think I'm unusual in thinking Turkey, even the part that is in Europe, more Asian than European. And Switzerland is absolutely beautiful, but is not necessarily "representative" of Europe. That said, IMO, the best first trip to anywhere is the one that most appeals to you.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 01:05 AM

Chances for good weather in Switzerland end of Oct/early Nov are small. Most cable cars will be out of operation, many hotels closed - for good reasons.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Ok.

I am dropping Switzerland. In that case can I do 4 days in Rome and the remaining 11 in Turkey ? Is there a train from Rome to Instanbul ? Or should I do Athens for 4 days and the remaining 11 in Turkey ?

Will the weather be OK in Rome, Athens and Turkey ?

Thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 09:07 AM

In 2 weeks I'll concentrate only on Turkey, 5 days Istanbul,3-4 Cappadocia, 4-6 days Aegean and/or Mediterranean will give you a good idea of Turkey, and will also give you enough variety for your 2 weeks, it wont be "same same".
I too am a vegetarian and I ate very well in the 2 weeks I spent in Turkey,and I ate only local food. I've written a page on Turkish vegetarian food: http://ashwinbahulkar.wordpress.com/...ocia-and-urfa/
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 10:35 AM

Currently there are no trains to istanbul from anywhere in Europe except for some slow ones that stop far and the visitors need to be bussed in to ıstanbul.

Consider getting open-jaw plane ticket. Rome + Turkey will give you more varition in terms of sights and cuisine than Athens + Turkey.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Hello,

Actually I can go from October 18th till November 2nd for this trip. In that case can you all suggest places in Europe which are:

1) Less crowded because the peak season is over
2) Weather is still nice. Autumn may have started but it won't be chilling cold and rainy.
3) This will be our 1st trip to Europe so if any mainstream European destinations meet criteria 1) and 2), that will be nice.

Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 09:26 PM

Generally southern spain(Andalucia) is warmer,less rainier than most other parts of Europe.
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 09:38 PM
kja

Hi, golfdude --

This post is only going to draw the attention of people who feel competent to respond to questions about Switzerland and/or Turkey -- the two countries for which you designated flags. If you want to expand your query, you should re-post a revised question with a revised set of flags.

In the meantime, I recommend that you check out some guidebooks and or trip reports to get a better sense of places that might suit your needs.

Good luck!