Search

Tube question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tube question

Is there any way to know how deep are the different lines in the Underground? We may or may not use the Tube but I do not like going down and down and down. I won't baulk at going down one level but I was incredibly uncomfortable using the lower levels last time. Might the location of the colors of the lines on the transportation designate the location of the lines underground? It seems as if the cirle lines are at the top of the chart in the little box on the guide, they would be the most used by us.
Thanks,
Emily
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:48 PM

Wishful thinking about the line colors, emily. I don't think there's any correlation. If it really bothers you, maybe you should familiarize yourself with the bus. Just leave some extra time for getting through traffic.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 08:29 PM

The Circle, Metropolitan, District, Hammersmith & City and East London lines were built much earlier than most of the rest of the system. They were generally built by digging a trench along some of the main city streets, putting the railway in and then rebuilding the street over the top. As a result most of the stations on these lines are only a single short staircase from street level.

The deepest points on the network (below the ground and below sea level) are both on the Northern line. The Piccadily line in Central London is also very deep. I think there are some stats for this sort of stuff somewhere on www.thetube.com.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 09:18 PM
MD

I think you're right. If they're "tubes", they were dug with a digging machine. Even 100 years ago, that was done with a borer, that was in the clay layer and well below any buildings. The ones that follow the roadway (like the NYC subways tend to do) are square cut-and-cover tunnels. But, I don't think you're going to get anywhere if you try to be that selective.

It's just a phobia. Of course, some stations still have elevators, so you don't have to see the drop. But, my last visit I found they were phasing those out (too slow moving people). There was a program to rebuild those stations with escalators, one at a time.

I also found the tube could be unpredictably unreliable, with sections closed and stations skipped for various reasons.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 09:55 PM

MD is correct about the cut-and-cover tunnels. However, I would respectfully disagree that elevators on the underground are being phased out. The older stations that have always used them use them because the platform is so deep that an escalator that long would require LUL to buy up too much horizontal space, and would in many cases be impractical anyway. For example, on the Piccadily line, Russell Square and Covent Garden both use elevators (or lifts as we call them) whereas the station between them (Holborn) has two fairly long escalators leading down to the Piccadily Line. If you look at the buildings around all three stations you'll notice that there are fewer buildings around Holborn that predate the Piccadily Line, i.e. the 1910's than at the other two.

Covent Garden and Russell Square stations both serve sites that are most definitely on the tourist trail, so if you feel better using elevators than long escalators, these would work for you. But elevators are also being built into many new stations or those that are being overhauled, such as all of the stations on the new Jubilee line section (Westminster to Stratford), although they don't always seem to work.

MD is also entirely correct that using the cut-and-cover lines will limit your options somewhat. However these lines do take in most of the major rail terminals, most of which have decent bus connections, so all is not lost.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 12:53 PM

Just returned from London. We did use the tube to travel around London. Once you are in the station, you do travel on escalators/stairs down to the train. I really never got the feeling of going deeper and deeper, it all felt the same once you were in the station. My husband and I thought this was the faster way to travel--easy too. We purchased (at any station) a 7 day zone 1 and 2 pass--easy to use. At some times in late afternoon it does get very crowded. The colors tell the lines, not how deep. I would suggest just try it. If you didn't feel comfortable use the bus (will take you longer!--traffic is terrible!)
We stayed near the Lancaster Gate underground. Have a great trip-you'll love London.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 04:45 PM

Emily, do yourself a favor and don't ruin parts of your trip with the tube. You'll definitely go "down" a lot. Busses would be better for you. Yes, it will take more time but why stress out? Or, take a cab if not too far (cost can be an issue). It's your vacation. The important thing is to have fine and not dread anything.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:17 PM

I get vertigo so I can understand your escalator phobia. I used plenty of Underground stations while I was in London and the only one that got me a bit woozy was Marble Arch on the Central Line. The other central line stations had elevators - I think it's one of the deeper lines.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Bootman4U

Whatever you do, then, don't go to I beilieve it is Hampstead Heath which used to be the deepest station on the network..over 600 feet DOWN. What DO you do when you have to ride in an elevator??????

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 08:15 AM

Just avoid the Northern Line. Picadilly is also deep but you really can't avoid it because it so many of the major attractions and connections are on it.

But it is easy to skip the Northern - unless you are going to Hampstead or Highgate.

Old Jun 18th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks.
Emily
Old Jun 19th, 2003, 12:50 PM

I use the tube a lot and enjoy it (as only a 'visitor' can) but have found that walking is a great way to get around and see the sites. London is so entirely walkable that you can easily (as I just did in June) walk from Pimlico to Waterloo on the Thames, or Mansion House to Embankment etc. As long as there is something interesting to look at, why not.
The first time I travelled in London I didn't realize many of the central London tube stops are right near each other and I remember getting on the tube at Picadilly Circus and getting off at Leicester Square only to walk 2 blocks in the wrong direction and discover the entrance to the Picadilly Circus tube again!