London apartment and neighbourhood help, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just decided to accompany SO on a trip to London at the end of March. We will be there Sunday 20th through Friday 3d April. He will be a a meeting at the London School of Economics and I will be playing tourist most of the time. Thinking about an apartment (studio or 1BR, don't need it to be luxury) that would be within easy reach of LSE (walking or direct tube with no connection) and would like to ask for suggestions from Fodorites with knowledge of London. Found one place that is listed as in Aldgate that looks great and is reasonably priced (for London, anyway) - anyone familiar with the area? What areas would be good to look at for this? All assistance much appreciated.
BTW we ave already looked into the LSE housing and noting is available for our dates.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Aldgate is a business area but close to lots of old London and some museums. About 1.5 miles from LSE in a straight line, not good for tube links to LSE, much easier to use the buses. However, depending on where it is in Aldgate, if it is convenient for a station on the Central Line then it is a short walk from Holborn station on the Central Line to LSE and you can go via Lincolns Inn Fields, preferable to walking down Kingsway each day. If you look for accommodation in a westerly direction your underground options for LSE are either Central Line to Holborn as above, or any line which goes to Charing Cross or Temple.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, helen. I am waiting to get the actual address to see which would be the closest tube station. The place itself looks nice, so I am hoping.
There is another place located near to the Knightsbridge tube which, if I am reading the map correctly, is on the Picadilly line and would go to Holborn without connections - or would it be easier to exit at Leicester Square and walk from there?
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Technically I think Holborn is closer but from Leicester Square its a nice walk through Covent Garden, which is easy early in the morning before the tourist hordes hit. Knightsbridge is a posher area with the prices to go with it in shops and restaurants but easy to get to most (or many) tourist places. Aldgate could be interesting, you are nearer to Clerkenwell, Spitalfields and Islington. If you don't have a good map of London to hand you can look up your alternatives on www.streetmap.co.uk.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 01:03 AM

LSE is also within a easy walk of Temple underground station on the District and Circle lines (i.e., from Aldgate East).

In terms of the immediate surroundings, Knightsbridge should offer a wider range of shops, restaurants and pubs. "Aldgate" might be used for a range of areas (do you have a more precise address?), but is likely to be either the finance/law area of the City (very quiet at the weekends), or the rather more workaday and downmarket areas towards Spitalfields or Whitechapel. It could also put you close to the one-way system along the main roads, which is not very attractive.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Patrick. I am waiting for a response to my request for the actual street address on the Aldgate place - the advert lists it as in the City, and the description refers to the Liverpool Street/ Aldgate/ Spitalfields area. It is listed at http://tinyurl.com/daej55 but there are no outside pictures that cue as to the location.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:58 AM

Aldgate Triangle is one of the new uupmarket and up-spec developments to the east of the City. It is actually nearer Aldgate East underground than Aldgate, and is well situated for the Spitalfields Sunday markets (but I see you're arriving on Sunday, so this isn't much help), and Brick Lane. There's a map (and photographs) at http://tinyurl.com/acmkhh

You'll see it is on the Commercial Road, one of the main traffic routes into London - you would have to cross the road and walk a bit to find much life or entertainment in the evenings, and you'll have to negotiate the one-way traffic system to get to the tube. It depends what you find attractive: here the vibe is a bit "alternative", multicultural and student-y, lots of wholesale cheap clothing shops, around Knightsbridge more traditional and moneyed.

But then again, "Knightsbridge" might be used to cover quite a wide area!
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Patrick - many thanks for the great info. We may catch the tail end of the Spitalfields market but that's about it. The alternative flavor of the area is by no means a deal breaker as long as the area is safe. Aldgate East is still zone 1 and would offer direct transport to Temple on the District line. Evenings will likely be taken up with conference related activities so we won't need to scour the local area to entertain ourselves.
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM

I've no reason to suppose Aldgate is particularly unsafe (though some drivers try to use the one-way system like a race-track): it may feel oddly deserted at night.

If you go for Aldgate, I'd second helen's suggestion of the buses, by the way, at least if you're not in a hurry. The 15, for example, stops outside both LSE and Aldgate Triangle (and runs through the night) - and it passes some of the major attractions as well.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...treet-2005.pdf
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM

I've no experience of this area or these apartments but it looks as if the ones looking on to the central garden will be relatively quiet but those facing out could be noisy. I mention this because an old friend stayed near Shoreditch fire station in a chain hotel for a meeting and said the constant movement of the fire engines was very noisy. She stayed with me for the private part of her trip. I wouldn't worry about the zone 1 aspect it doesn't save much money or time. If you are a fan of city history then the Aldgate option would be good (Museum of London, Tower, Bank of England, Telecoms museums old churches, law courts and so on). British Museum, Sir John Soanes and Covent Garden are adjacent to LSE. Victoria and Albert, Science and Natural History Museums plus shopping are around South Kensington, ie fairly close to Knightsbridge. I would agree with Patrick that they use the best name to describe some of these hotel and apartment areas. I would think anything in zone 1 or 2 would be fairly easy to navigate from if its a good apartment at a reasonable price. Personally I would favour the Marylebone High St, Marylebone Lane area as a tourist, very easy to get anywhere. Interesting shops and good restaurants. To be positive you have avoided the half term holidays and the school Easter holidays so museums and sights will be relatively child free except for organised school parties. I like children but its nice to have some time for your own thoughts. Hope it goes well.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Just to report back - we ended up booking a large one bedroom at the Curzon Plaza in Mayfair and were quite pleased. Not posh but clean, modern, incredibly spacious and well furnished and in a great location. The Green Park tube station was excellent for connecting just about anywhere. I have posted a trip report with more details.