Reload this Page >

Tube from Heathrow?

Search

Tube from Heathrow?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:38 AM
toni

Tube from Heathrow?

<BR>My husband and I are arriving at London at 3.30 p.m. on a weekday in early May. We will have a suitcase and a carryon each. Are we made to try and get the tube to Gloucester Rd. station? Does anyone know if you have to brave a huge set of stairs as well as a narrow escalator? <BR><BR>BTW any recommendations for cute pubs with good food down the Thames as far as Richmond would be much appreciated.<BR>M

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:22 AM
kaym

Hi Toni:<BR><BR>I don't know what the logistics of the tube would be to Gloucester Road, but on each of my 3 trips to London, we have always taken the tube from Heathrow to Bloomsbury and survived. The escalators are narrow and very steep but just put your suitcase on the step in front of you and hang on. If time is not of paramount importance and money is, you can do the tube.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Geoff Hamer

At Gloucester Road, the Piccadilly Line is reached by lifts (elevators), not escalators. To avoid these, change from the Piccadilly Line to the District Line at Hammersmith, by crossing to the other side of the same platform (so no steps); the District Line platforms at Gloucester Road are just below street level, reached by a flight of steps.<BR>For pubs, you could try the 'Dove' at Hammersmith, 'Bull's Head', 'City Barge' or 'Bell &amp; Crown' in Chiswick, or 'White Cross' in Richmond.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:50 AM
mlf

my advice is to take the airport bus if you are headed to a hotel.they stop at all the major hotel areas....its a double decker and about an hour drive so fun to see the sites...there is a place for luggage on board. Much easier than the tube

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Carolina

The tube will be difficult with luggage at that time of day. By the time you have collected your luggage and cleared immigration and customs, you will be in the middle of rush hour. I suggest a bus or coach from the airport. Taxis are an option but if your taxi gets stuck in traffic, it will work out very expensive. If you decide on a cab, prebook a minicab to meet you as this is much cheaper.<BR>Carolina

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Steve

The Picadilly line goes directly from Heathrow to Gloucester Road - no transferring required. Don't worry about the rush hour. At that time of day most people will be going the opposite direction and the cars should be nearly empty when you enter as Heathrow is at the end of the line. Just place your luggage near the doors at the areas designated for luggage and try to sit down next to it. When you get off at Gloucester Road you will have one flight of stairs to negotiate and then an elevator will take you the rest of the way to the ground floor. Quite easy, inexpensive and fast (about 30-40 minutes. You will have an escalator to go down in Heathrow to reach the tube but should not be difficult to negotiate that with the amount of luggage you have.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Mel

It's even easier than that: after you retrieve your luggage at baggage, turn right and look above you for the signs to the tube. You'll take an elavator (not escalator)down one flight, get off and the hallway to catch the Piccadilly line will be right in front of you. Only the one train so you can't even get on the wrong one

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Frank

I've travelled by tube from Heathrow to Gloucester Road. Do you want to eat dinner and travel after rush hour? It's not necessary if you don't want to. If you're not on a budget, you might consider the Airbus. It's not as cheap.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:29 PM
XXX

It is very easy...one line, one train. Can't go in the wrong direction either from terminal 4 or terminals 1,2,3....as the line starts at Heathrow you will always get a seat. As the train comes in towards central London, the train will get somewhat more crowded but so what...you'll be sitting. A short flight of stairs up at Glouester Rd to the lifts and you're at street level.<BR><BR>If you are doing anything else that day, buy a travelcard for zones 1-6 rather than s single ticket as you'll be able to use the travelcard the rest of the day.<BR><BR>The airbus takes far longer thanks to London traffic and I sort of get sick listening to all the people who don't have a clue try to argue against using the tube, provided you have half a brain and don't overpack, when it is by far the cheapest fastest way to get from the airport into central London.<BR><BR>Oh yes, and one thing else. If you have a problem, you can ask the staff who are very helpful and friendly. And in case you haven't realized, the language of the country is.......English the same language most of the posters on this board speak and trust me, you and the person to whom you are talking will actually be able to understand every word you are exchanging.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:12 PM
ron

The two people recommending the airbus don't seem to know that the airbus operates on Bayswater Road, not Cromwell Road, and therefore goes no place near the Gloucester Road tube station, where the questioner wants to be.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 08:47 PM
janis

1) the southern Air Bus routs was discontinued a couple of years ago - so that is a no-go<BR><BR>2) You say on suitcase and a carry-on each. Does tham maen a large suitcase and a smaller suitcase EACH. That is an awful lot of luggage - that will make it difficult to negotioate the lifts.escalators and stairs on the tube. (I use the tube but never have that much luggage w/ me)<BR><BR>3) Unless your hotel is directly acroos the road from Gloucester rd station, you will then have to schlep your luggage a couple of blocks in who knows what sort of weather.<BR><BR>It would probably be best to use a car service, Hotel Link (this is not Air Bus) OR cut back on your luggage.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 08:49 PM
janis

Sorry about all the typos - but you get my drift . . getting late

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:13 AM
toni

Thanks everyone for the great responses. We will be travelling with one medium wheelie bag and one carry on bag which can piggyback onto the suitcase. Walking doesn't worry me as the suitcase has a handle and wheels and the hotel is apparently a two minute walk. I think I'll be adventurous and try the tube this time, I'll post a trip report when we get home in July. Thanks for the help.