TSA regs...what I don't see and ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How has everyone make out with their car-key fobs or home security "fobs" in the carry on?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

from another post

"Key fob for car will be locked in the trunk of the car at the airport parking area. We'll bring the valet key only. The other spare will be with my sister who lives in our departure city."

Good for the car - but I wouldn't put my security fob in the car as well...
at the Philly Airport? mmmmm...we'll just take my car - 10 year old Honda and leave his fancy car at friends.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
As I just wrote on that other post, can you open the trunk with the valet key? Otherwise, not such a good idea to put the key fob in the trunk.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:13 AM

I'll be leaving my fob at home. I'll just take the plain old regular key to the airport!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:46 AM

OK, sorry, but what's this about key fobs?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:35 AM

Keyfobs are ok to take. Many new cars, mine included, have the fob and key as ONE UNIT - there is no way to separate them. You can get a key made to just open the door, but it will NOT start the car so if you have one like I do you can lock your "key/fob all in one unit" inside the car if you do not want to take it with you.

Even British Airways website says do not lock your car keys etc. in your checked baggage.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM

<i>&quot;OK, sorry, but what's this about key fobs?</i>

Right after 8/10, there are a few - very few - reports (maybe 1st hand, maybe not) that at some TSA checkpoints, they're not allowing keyfobs.

Since then, it's been clear from other travelers and TSA that they are okay to be brought on board. Unfortunately, there are some people who still believe that they're not allowed. One month later, already.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Well exxxxcuuuuse me! Fool that I am...
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Because of this post I tried my ignition key this morning to see if I could open up my vehicle and I could. In the past I have always used the keyfob to open it. I don't if this is true with all vehicles but do try your ignition key to see if you can gain access to your vehicle and if so just take that with you on your trip and leave the keyfob at home.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:07 AM

LoveItaly, my daughter's car opens only with the key fob. She flew back from the UK while the key fob restriction was still in place (in fact she was in the clear baggie with passport and money stage of security - kind of slim pickings for entertainment on a daytime transatlantic flight when the movie was &quot;Ice Age&quot.

She had a tight connection in Newark (especially since the UK flights were still not running on time). We packed a little shopping bag with her cell phone, digital camera, and key fob, put it in the checked luggage and prayed. At Newark, she took the shopping bag out of the suitcase when she cleared customs and rechecked her bags. It became her carry on.

At her final destination she was able to drive her car the 2+ hours. Good thing we did it this way, as her checked luggage didn't make the connection.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Yep, that should would be annoying!

And what, am I the only person who turns on or off their home alarm system with a little thingy-me-bob fob on my keychain? I'm number challenged by now. All those pin numbers - so few &quot;brain cells&quot;
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Hi noe, isn't flying getting to be more and more of a hassle. My vehicle is a Toyota RAV, and although I have seldom left it at an airpot parking lot it is good to know that I can access it with the ignition key. Never even thought about testing the ignition key until this thread and the other thread.

Suzie,just about a week ago our PD had an article that older Honda's and Toyotas were the highest on the list of stolen cars for our area. That certainly surprised me. I have never had a keyfob to turn off a security system.

Well rkkwan states that keyfobs can be brought aboard a plane..so that is good news. Happy and uncomplicated flying everyone..we wish!!
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 04:47 PM

I carried my car keys onto the plane last week.

I drive a Saab. You cannot seperate the &quot;fob&quot; it's part of the key. (I found it pretty interesting that the Brits started this particular hysteria since LOTS of European cars have the integrated units)

I am not sure what I will do if they outlaw them. I used to use a valet parking type sevice in BNA where they kept the keys, but there doesn't appear to be comparable service here in ATL.