Search

car break-in when valet parked ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 06:29 PM
smk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car break-in when valet parked ?

Hi, We will be going directly to the Mandarin hotel (not one that we are staying in) from the airport for a dolphin encounter. Since all of our stuff will be in the car, how much of a risk is it if we have the car valet parked?
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:54 PM

Your stuff will probably be safe -- but you might want to ask the hotel if they'd hold your bags for you, since you'll be spending some $$$ there.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 03:05 AM

Your luggage will be safer if it is locked in the trunk and out of sight. I can assure you the hotel will take absolutely NO responsibility if anything is stolen from your car whether it was valet parked or not.

If you don't believe me, call the hotel and find out I'm right.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:26 AM

This will only work, intrepid, if the car key is not the trunk key. If it is, then the valet could open the locked trunk with the key you give him to drive the car. I sincerely doubt this will happen as the valet would surely lose his job.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:26 AM

If you are planning on the safety of "locked in the trunk"...make sure that you trunk can't be opened from inside the car.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:40 AM

The safety of "locked in the trunk" is not that the luggage is impossible to steal, but rather that it's not visible. No one passing by would be any more tempted by that car than the next because there's no evidence that there's anything in there.

I would think that valet parking is not much safer than any garage parking. Once the valet parks it, there is no one standing there watching it to be sure it's safe. But I do seriously doubt that risk of theft by the valet attendant is anything to worry about at all.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:11 AM

I see a "hidden camera" expose on Dateline some time ago where they placed hidden cameras in cars being valet parked. The camera showed that valets stole anything and everything they could.
Despite that, the risk you are taking (if everything is securely locked in the trunk)is probably less than the risk of the airline losing your luggage. It is a risk I would take but would avoid if I could. If you can first drop your luggage at the hotel where you are staying the risk is reduced to zero.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:38 AM

The Mandarin Oriental is one of the finest hotel chains in the world. I couldn't imagine that they would overlook security issues related to cars that are valet parked - especially as their target market is the type of person that would drive a high end luxury car.

Not to say it can't happen. But, it's not like you're talking about a 2 star, $29 a night hotel chain.

If you're talking about the Mandarin Oriental in Miami, it is used frequently by her colleagues for meetings with fairly affluent locals. I can't imagine that they wouldn't have good security given what I assume to be a parking lot full of Mercedes and Porsche models.

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:46 AM

It is extremely doubtful that even the most high end hotel has full security screening and bonding of all their valet parkers (whom I'm willing to bet have a huge and frequent turnover rate).

Here in Naples, Florida a few years ago there was a big rash of home breakins during the evening hours. In all cases, thieves had apparently entered high end houses without breaking in. It was only after a lot of police interviews that they discovered all the victims had been dining at the same high end restaurant while their homes were broken into. Think about it. The valet parkers have the keys to a Mercedes or Porsche with the house keys attached. In the glove box is probably the registration with the address on it. The owners are away from their house for a couple of hours as they've just entered the restaurant. So the valet or an accomplice can easily take the keys (and perhaps the garage door opener which may easily override any security system), go to their house, help themselves to the contents and return the keys with no one the wiser.

If you think about all the details that went into that scam, it's not so hard to imagine a valet parker or an accomplice helping himself to the contents of a car.

I'd be willing to bet that the valet systems of high end hotels are MORE likely to be targets than those at a budget hotel. Why would the criminal valet want a job at the low end hotel, when he could have access to richer victims?
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Patrick,
If you can see the opportunity for the valet at the Mandarin to have dishonest intentions - don't you think the hotel's head of security would have the same thought. Unless they hired Barney Fife, any person in theft prevention for a 5 star hotel chain would recognize their exposure and would minimize the risk.

I can see where a restaurant patron would be vulnerable. But, I wouldn't expect the restaurant to employ a full time security staff.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Yikes, Patrick, that's scary. Let me guess these were places where you had to use a valet.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 08:57 AM
koa

I would opt for asking the hotel if they can secure your valuables. Speaking from years of working in law enforcement, nothing is safe in a parked vehicle. A thief can enter your vehicle in seconds.Security cant watch everywhere 24/7. Professional thieves can create create distractions to divert security away from them.The best advice I give travellers is travel LIGHT. It never ceases to amaze me how much people travel with loads of cash, camera equipment and enough jewels to make the queen of england jealous!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Patricks story is why we only give the car key to a valet, or to the dealership when the car is being serviced. In certain circumstances such as airport long term parking and parking at a trailhead to hike, we take the registration out also and keep that with us.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 09:16 AM

Any hotel - no matter how high end it is - will have a disclaimer printed on the valet ticket - and usually hung in plain sight in the parking area - stating that they are not responsible for any loss or damge while your car is there. I used to work for Mirage Resorts, Inc (when Steve Wynn still owned it) and ALL of those properties (including even Bellagio) had claims against them from customers who lost items while parked in valet. That doesn't mean that valet attendants took anything - although sometimes they did - but those lots where the valet parks cars are still accessible to thieves. I would ask the bell desk at the hotel to keep your luggage and then you won't have to worry about it.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:23 AM

I have two valet-related stories to share.

A few years ago I had an account with Amoco gas stations. They gave me a little wand for my key chain to wave at the pump when I filled up, and my charge account would automatically be billed.

One time when I tried to use it, it wouldn't work. After much investigation, it turned out that a valet at a restaurant I had recently eaten at had stolen the wand and replaced it with a dummy (from a closed account). He then used it to place charges all over Chicagoland, in places I had never been, including McDonalds, which accepted the wands as payment.

In sorting it out, I learned Amoco was familiar with that type of fraud and removed all the chargs from my bill. However, when I called the manager of the restaurant to inform them of the fraud/theft, they couldn't have cared less.

The other story happened to my husband. He pulled up to a restaurant where he was having a lunch meeting, and where he was known by the management. He handed his keys to the "valet," then greeted the manager, who met him at the door.

After lunch, he went to retrieve his car, and the valet service didn't have it. That's right, the guy he gave his keys to was not a valet, but a car thief.

The story ends well, because the car was recovered a month or two later when the thief ran a red light (in front of a police station, no less), was pulled over by a cop, and tried (and failed) to escape on foot.

I now use this story against him on the few (rare!) occasions when I come home with a speeding ticket and he tries to get all righteous with me -- at least I didn't have the car stolen out from under me!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:28 AM

To add to patrick's story and to the likelihood of vandalism connected to valet car parking, there have been a few articles in our newspapers in the Tampa area about how the local mafia is deeply involved in valet car parking. The Tampa mafia is the Trafficante family, amongst others.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:31 AM

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/01/10/Hi..._valet_p.shtml
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM

You also have the option of self-parking at the Kahala Mandarin, which means your keys can stay with you.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Too bad you are not concerned with
the risk to the dolphins.
R5
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 10:43 AM

I'm not an attorney, but a hotel doesn't automatically get free pass by having a disclaimer. A disclaimer isn't a license for their employees or the employees of a third party parking firm to steal and doesn't mean the hotel can charge you for the valet and not exercise "ordinary care."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -