Search

Key West and Car

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key West and Car

I will be in Key West this January, travelling down from Islamorada and then leaving Key West by air. I have read a few posts which indicated cars are unnecessary and even a hindrance in Key West. If I drop off the car at the Key West airport on the trip down there, will it be easy to get a taxi to the hotel? Will it also be easy to get one from the hotel back to the airport? I live in California where trying to take a taxi anywhere is a nightmare so I just wanted to be sure this could easily be done. Otherwise I'll just keep the car in the hotel lot (there is one) and pay the fees.

Thanks as always for your useful advice!
JoniC
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Although we always have a car in Key West, it's TOTALLY unnecessary, and a complete pain in the neck unless you have a parking space (we do) and are willing to cough up the money.

Key West is tiny, and a car is the last thing you'll need. Cabs are abundant and simple to get - they'll be lined up at the airport. Forget everything you know about California transportation and enjoy Key West
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:47 PM

Southernmost motel has free parking.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM

We didn't have a car there, and we were fine. Were able to walk almost everywhere or take taxis.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 06:28 AM

The cabs wait just outside the airport on the opposite side from the tarmac. It's generally $7.50 / person for two or more people to most places on the island, but it you are alone you are put on the meter. Try to hook up with someone else or a couple to save a few $'s.

What hotel might make a difference.

Pjk
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 06:40 AM

It depends on the location of your hotel. If you are staying in Old Town, you will find a car a hindrance. Cabs are readily available. If your hotel is out sid of Old Town,it will be more of a problem.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM

I would never take a car to Key West unless it was truly necessary. I would dump the car at the airport on the way into town and cab it to the hotel and back to the airport. Lots of cabs that in my experience come quickly. Usually lined up at the airport. Each year we fly into and out of Key West each weekend for a month or so and have never even thought of renting a car.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 03:59 PM
GBC

Hi Joni,
We are frequently in Key West in February and we have a car. While you don't need a car, I haven't found it to be such a difficult issue to have one while there. Key West is very small - mostly you walk although there are some more distance sites that you may want to explore.
Note that not all the rental companies are actually AT the airport. Some have facilities in other parts of town so check the location of the one you are using.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 11:09 PM

I think it depends on where your hotel is. We had a car which came in handy as our hotel wasn't right in town. We didn't have any problems parking, but once parked in town, we did most of our sightseeing on foot.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM

If you are not located downtown, just have your hotel call a cab for you. That's what we did..... Worked great.