Tropea vs Taormina

Search

Tropea vs Taormina

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tropea vs Taormina

Hello, I am a 28 year old female. I'm considering spending 2 weeks in Italy this August taking some Italian courses. I am trying to decide between Tropea and Taormina. If anyone could offer insight into what 2 weeks in either would be like, I'd appreciate it so much. I'll be travelling solo so am looking for a place where it will be easy to meet other people my age and where there is a bit of nightlife. Thanks so much!
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:06 PM

I was in Taormina quite a while ago but I doubt it's changed much. It was tiny and there was no night life, but the people were very friendly. Maybe try a place where there's a University.
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:28 PM

Jasmine-are you really wedded to the idea of those two places to study Italian? Because frankly, the standard Italian dialect, by law, is that of Dante's town-Florence, the Tuscan dialect. The dialect that far south in Italy, i.e.,what you would hear on the street, is really very different from the north, or even, in Rome. If I were you, I'd consider taking a 2 week course in one of the excellent schools in Florence-the birthplace and home of Dante, the father of the modern Italian language.

Dante Alighieri, Da Vinci, Michelangelo-all three of these top Italian language schools in a city that is filled with language schools-for good reason.
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

hmm... now i'm not sure what to do! sukiduper, what you say isn't very encouraging! i've heard taormina is supposed to be the move lively of the 2 cities to begin with! i don't want to be bored wherever i end up! and girlspytravel, no i never even considered florence! i think i was set on the south of italy because i've heard such wonderful things about the area - less touristy, warmer friendlier people, and beautiful beaches. because i'm on holiday, i thought it sounded idyllic. but you have started me to consider florence... but the allure of the beautiful white sand beaches of the south might still win out!
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:11 AM
bellastarr

Hi Jasminedew,
I have studied Italian for over five years now, and, although I have never yet visited Taormina, I know that 2 weeks is really only enough time to have a basic intriduction to the language. And if you want to soend some of your time being at the beach, it does make sense for you to go where the beaches are! Then, if you are inspired to study further, I would go to Florence in the future....(but not in August!) Plus, in Florence, you are likely to meet many more Americans "on the street" and more locals already speak English.

Old May 13th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Both Tropea and Taormina are well know for Italian language study. Babilonia in Taormina and Piccola Universita in Tropea are both very well respected. The problem with studying in the South, especially Sicily is that it's so beautiful and there are so many wonderful things to do and see you might get distracted. As far as dialect, you might be able to find a "dialect school" that's too funny.
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks! does anyone have any opinions about "apple languages - language courses abroad limited?" this school offers courses in both taormina and tropea. i've also heard of the piccola universita in tropea... any opinions are whether there would really be any difference for a 2 week introductory course?

thanks again in advance!

Old May 14th, 2007, 12:51 AM

TravMimi-what is too funny? About the dialect school? Perhaps you don't understand, (and you could only know this if you have studied the Italian language in depth). Because there are so many dialects in Italy, there has to be a standard dialect for official language purposes-people in Puglia, and certainly Sicily, which is literally a different language than Italian, have a great deal of difficulty being understood in the north, as do Italians in the north when they go south.

"La lingua di Dante" is literally the Tuscan dialect, and it is used in all language schools, and is taught in the schools and at university, but it is certainly not spoken out on the street. I still say, Jasmine, and I am speaking as a former graduate student in foreign languages, that Florence is the place to study Italian, and although it is true that the beaches of the south have great allure, if you are really interested in studying Italian, I would go to one of the three schools I mentioned in Florence, particularly Dante Alighieri, which is considered the best. I do remember a friend of mine from California who went to D.A. told me the famous composer/musician Elvis Costello was studying Italian for a month there.

Perhaps you could do your two weeks in Florence, and then head south for some fun at the beaches, would be my suggestion.
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:05 AM

P.S. And as far as August, I was in Florence last August 2006, as well as August 2005, and I have to say, particularly last August, more absolutely gorgeous weather I had never seen, so I think it would be a great time to go, particularly towards the last half of the month-August is low season in Italy, so you will get better rates, not only on hotels and apartments, but usually, some language schools offer discounts during this period as well.
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:20 AM

Girls - I understand the idea of dialects in Italy very, VERY well. But I do believe that studying Italian at a school in Italy is about the same as studying English in an American school. When I learned english in Massachusetts, they didn't teach me that the spelling of "car" was C-A-H, nor was I taught in Atlanta that the second person plural of "to be" was "ya'll". Italian language schools in Italy all teach the official version of Italian. There are dialect schools though. My father, who was born near Palermo spoke Italian and Sicilian. My mother, who was born in Milan spoke Italian and Milanese. Believe me I understand the idea of dialects.
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:47 AM
bellastarr

hi jasminedew-
I collect Dictionaries of Dialect to Italian. My favorite so far is the one I have of the Napolitan dialect to Italian, but in case you end in in Sicilia- here's and onliine source you can look at if you're curious about the SIcilian language.

http://italian.about.com/od/sicilian/a/aa050405d_3.htm

good luck and have a great experience!

Old May 14th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Good Lord, it is a TWO WEEK class. It isn't going to make or break her eventual grasp of the Italian language. It is an introduction, not a masters course.

Educational institutions understand the difference between dialect and the Italian language, even in Sicily.

Go where you want be to for your holiday, Jasmine, even if it is a learning holiday, and have fun!!
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:21 AM

I totally agree with faredolce's above post. Thanks for saying it for me.
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Actually, you can get quite a lot out of two weeks of language learning in Italy, particularly if you have already started studying Italian, and that is PRECISELY why I suggested Florence, Jasmine-the study course I took in Florence, the people I met, the fun we had going out to different places each night, the discos, the dinners, THIS is what you get in Florence, incomparable experiences, and you are just not going to get that nightlife in Taormina or Tropea. A two week language learning course should be about a good quality course, where you will be hearing correct Italian spoken, but also about the rich cultural experiences that you will have outside the classroom experience, and there is no better place than that the birthplace of the Renaissance for that.
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:12 AM

In fact, Jasmine, have a look at the websites for Dante Alighieri:

www.dantealighieri.it/homepageing.htm

Da Vinci:

www.scuolaleonardo.com/

and Michelangelo:
www.michelangelo-edu.it/

All three excellent-and make sure and look at the cultural activities planned as well.

Old May 14th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies, everyone! and for all the great suggestions as well. maybe i'll take a few days to consider my various options. i'd have to say florence might have more culture and sophistication to offer than tropea, while the south offers more beach and paradise. i'm a beach worshipper, but i wonder if i'd get bored 2 weeks on a beautiful beach with white sand - is such a thing possible??
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 11:39 PM

Having stayed in Taormina last fall, I would imagine that it is a busier town than Tropea. Quite a few restaurants and people walking around at night. I'm not sure what kind of Italian immersion you would get because many people speak English there since it is a resort and has many tourists. This isn't to speak negatively of Taormina. It is beautiful, overlooks the ocean, has many expensive shops and nice restaurants. I don't know if there are many younger people your age around there.
Just to confuse you a little more look into Lucca in Tuscany. It is a vibrant smaller city and has many young people, students there. I would think it would be more fun if you are looking for a little night life.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:21 AM

Yeah-I have to agree with packed. When we were in Taormina, we didn't see hardly any people your age. We are in our mid-50's and even we found it a bit snoozy after 2-3 days. I think you would find either Florence or Lucca a lot more interesting at your age IMO for 2 weeks. Maybe you can take a 10 days course and then spend a few days at the beach?
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 04:51 AM

We stayed for a few days in Taormina and absolutely loved it. It is vital and busy both during the day and in the evening. The views are spectacular and there is plenty to do. However, I would call the beaches ordinary - no where near "paradise".

You have to decide why you are going - to study Italian or to hang out on the beaches and experience the nightlife. If you are going to study Italian, choose Florence. If you are going principally for fun, choose Taormina. I think Tropea is too small to hold your interest for two weeks.