Triple hotel rooms in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering 1 week April trip to London with 3 generations - ages 14, 50, 75. Never been to London. I know many hotel rooms are small - are triple rooms generally available. Thanks.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 03:59 AM

I just answered your other post and was thinking the same...what about a hotel room. I'm sure there are but not sure what the configuration would be. But what about renting a flat for this trip. That would be a big incentive to avoiding a tour. You would have more space, a kitchen etc. Lots of info here on flat rentals.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 04:44 AM

You might check out the Citadines Apart'hotel chain in London. All of the rooms have tiny kitchens and small dining room tables. The beds in the studio flats are convertible (so not the most comfortable, but then you can convert the room to a living room/dining room during the day). They also have one bedroom units, with convertible sofas in the LR/DR area - they'd accommodate three generations well. They're not especially cheap, and they don't chain towels and linens every day, but you do benefit from other conveniences: in addition to those mentioned above, they also have on-site laundry facilities.

The other option you might consider is two rooms with shared bath in a B&B. Two of you could stay in one room, and the third could stay in the other room.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 05:01 AM

Hi gail,
Travelinn at County Hall, just by the London Eye have family rooms. Quite spacious, basic but great value.

http://www.travelinn.co.uk/TI/index....inn&id=128

Muck

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 05:09 AM

Is a triple room the best solution for you?

I'm assuming (by the ages given) that you're not a family who normally lives together. A triple room could be too small, too cramped, too on top of each other. You might be better to cut down the length of your visit if that means you can get a one-bed apartment or two hotel rooms.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 09:50 AM

I agree the the Travel Inn County Hall is a good choice - we stayed there this past May.

Our standard double room was very large - it could have easily slept 3. It was larger than many standard hotel rooms I've had in the U.S.

My travel companions were mistakenly given keys to the family room before they got their double - they said it was even bigger.

Also the room rates are more than reasonable for the area.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - this gives me a starting point. A flat might be a good idea. I think we could all occupy a room together without bloodshed, but a little more space would certainly improve the trip for all. Wanted to avoid cost of a second room, but may shop around and consider that as well (I know my mother would enjoy having a room of her own and she snores!)
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Gail, if 2 rooms are a possibility (didn't know if any of you wanted to be alone) bidding on Priceline for a hotel is the single best bargain in London. You can bid for 2 rooms at the same hotel. (You just can't be guaranteed of one room for 3.) So go to biddingfortravel.com First look at the prices people are paying in London. $65-100/night (before taxes which are 17.5%!!!) is common for a 4* hotel in London.

If this is too intimidating, there were very good deals available at the Holiday Inn Mayfair earlier in the year on the HI's own website that might return. People love the location of that hotel. You could always book something cancellable now and try bidding on Priceline. But you MUST read bft and understand the process carefully. Know what a free rebid is etc.

If you want to check out apartment prices, you can do a search here. Type apartment rental in London in the text search. Lots of info.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Have used Priceline successfully in US - for some reason never thought of using it for London - that might work!
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:58 PM

My partner, sister, and I stayed in a triple room a few years ago at the Royal National Hotel in London. It was a pretty nice size room and worked out well for us. The hotel is not luxurious by any stretch. It's actually pretty plain, though clean and safe, and the location is fabulous. It's in Bloomsbury and very close to the tube.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 07:33 PM

When my Mom, sister and I went to London about 4 years agao, we stayed at the K & K Hotel at Earl's Court. It was run by an Austrian company, and there were a lot of German speakers there. Best of all they had very hearty full English breakfast buffets!

Lil
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 05:35 AM

Priceline is really great for London but I would try to stick to at least a 4 star or better there. The only downside is some of their areas are very "broad" if you know what I mean. Make sure you research every possible hotel in an area before you bid it.

BTW, there are a few apt/hotels listed as PL hotels. Dolphin Square, listed as a 4* in Westminster area is an apt/hotel with an indoor pool popular with families but not very fancy. Remember the stars are given for hotel amenities (restaurant, elevator, room service, fitness room etc.) NOT for level of poshness so not all 4* will be fancy.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 06:23 AM

You may also want to check out the Scala House (<b>www.scala-house.co.uk</b

We stayed there a few years ago. It's not luxury, but the apartments are good-sized, clean and comfortable. The owners and staff are friendly and helpful and it's very close to the Goodge Street tube station. It is also close to Tottenham Court Road and Oxford Street for convenient bus routes. There are also several restaurants and a large grocery store nearby. It's a pretty good value for London.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 10:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you don't go the route of renting a flat, I would definitely encourage you to get 2 hotel rooms (i've traveled with my family!). Not so much for the space but to have 2 bathrooms. When everyone's trying to get ready to go out at the same time, plus the bit of extra privacy this provides, it would be well worth the extra expense to me.