Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip w/ 2 Kids: How to divide time between Stockholm & Copenhagen?

Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Traveling to Scandinavia this summer with 2 younger elementary age kids... We will be arriving in Stockholm on a Monday and must depart Stockholm on the next Sunday. We're thinking of spending the first 3 nights in Copenhagen and then the other 3 nights in Stockholm. (The plan is to take a one-way SAS flight from Stockholm to Copenhagen the afternoon we arrive in Stockholm. Perhaps we could buy a one-way train fare from Copenhagen back to Stockholm after spending a couple of days in Denmark?)

Do you suggest splitting the time 3 nights and 3 nights? We originally thought of doing 2 nights Copenhagen/ 4 nights Stockholm, but I'm afraid our first day or two in Copenhagen will be overshadowed by the anticipated jet-lag.

Looking for suggestions here...
Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:31 PM
nbujic

I did the 2 cities last year but I had 10 days.
You barely have 6.
I would stay in Stockholm ; it is a wonderful city in the summer. You can take a boat trip to Archipelagos and the Summer Palace (and its gardens), visit Vasa museum and a huge park ( with a lot of things for kid)next to it.

It is your choice, but keep in mind the traveling time between the cities, jet lag, packing and repacking,
and the time needed to get from the airport (train station ) to the hote, time to check in and out etc..

Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:57 AM
nbujic

P.S.
if you really wish to visit both cities, do continue to C. the same day and stay M, T and W night.
I would fly back to Stock. early Thr. so you can have half day and 3 nights there( I don't know how long the train ride takes, you don't have much time).
That way you'll have three nights and two and a half days in each city.

Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:19 AM

Fastest rail time is 5 hours one way between Stockholm and Copenhagen.

You might also consider using a budget airline between the two cities. Stockholm has several airports but Sterling flies out of Arlanda.

www.sterling.dk

or www.skyscanner.net
Feb 24th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. Do to the time restraints, I'm trying to talk my spouse out of a visit to Copenhagen during this trip, but we very well may be going afterall.

If we do go, we're considering flying Nordic from Stockholm to Copenhagen on the day we arrive from the U.S. and then stay for 3 nights. My spouse would like to take the 5-hour train ride back to Stockholm to enjoy the countryside.

How do I go about purchasing a one-way train ticket from the U.S.? Is there a website where it can be booked from the States in advance or do you suggest a walk-up purchase?
Feb 24th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Woops, shoud be "due to the time restraints..."
Feb 24th, 2007, 10:49 AM
nbujic

Hi this may be of some help

http://www.europeanrailguide.com/
from what I can se there are 3 departures in the morning , the first around 8:30. If you can take that one you'll be in the center of Stockholm by 1:30.

Feb 24th, 2007, 10:58 AM
nbujic

p.s. try this also ( left )

www.ricksteves.com/rail

Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. Nbujic, I used your link and purchased a one-way ticket on Sterling for Copenhagen. We only have 3 hours between arrival of our incoming flight to Stockholm and our departure to Copenhagen. I hope that is enough time. I know there can be delays, especially during international flights. But, for such a low fare I decided to risk it.

Thanks again for all your help.
Apr 7th, 2007, 03:55 PM

My family visited Scandinavia last July, we flew to Copenhagen took the train over to malmo where we met friends. After traveling considerably we flew from Gothenburg to Stockholm to visit more friends and then flew back to Copenhagen for our return flight to the US...we flew SAS, it was very reasonable, cheaper than the train and certainly faster!