Trip to Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2018, 08:38 AM
Zvi
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Vienna

Hi all,

In a mouth I'll be in Vienna for a week and I have few questions.

1. Where do I buy a local sim card and how much does it cost? Can I buy one at the air port?

2. When do the Austrians switch to standard time?

3. It's not the first time for me in Vienna so I'm looking for new places to visit. Has anyone visited the Renaissance Masters exhibition at the Votivekirche? Even though these are copies it looks interesting but I didn't find any reviews about it yet
https://www.vienna.at/kunsterlebnis-...n-wien/5864790

4. In a touristic guide I read about the Winter Palace of Prince Eugene. It says it belongs to the Finance Ministry and boasts a magnificent staircase. In the guide it says that the baroque collection of the Belvedere is presented there but I didn't find any information about it, nor if the place is open for visitors.

5. Another mystery for me concerns Palais Pallavicini. I have quite an old guide that says that there is a permanent Dali collection there. Again no trace of it on the internet

Any tips will be favorably accepted
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 08:55 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I can only help with some of your questions...

2. 28 October
4. The Winter Palace is now closed to visitors. For just a couple of years it was open for tourism but last year reverted back to Vienna government use.
5. The palace is closed to tourism.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 11:11 AM

We're thinking of going to the Votivkirche this week, will give a quick report if we do.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 10:12 PM

WeisserTee, do tell if you go to Votivkirche. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the entry.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by fourfortravel
WeisserTee, do tell if you go to Votivkirche. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the entry.
I still miss the Liechtenstein Palace Museum when it was open to the public without needing to be on tour. The baroque collection was magnificent and the free concerts on Sunday were always excellent. I went there many times in the (too brief) period between 2004 and 2011. Was my favorite museum in Vienna.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 02:55 AM

WeisserTee, if you're in Vienna on 6 October, the Garden Palace is open without tours for Lange Nacht der Museen.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 03:38 AM
Zvi
Original Poster

Thank you fourfortravel and WeisserTee for the answers. I'd be glad to read your impression about the Votivkirche.

I saw the pictures of the Liechtenstein Palace. They are magnificent. Unfortunately according to the website there is a tour only on 12/10 and I'll arrive on 22/10.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 03:46 AM
Zvi
Original Poster

I'll ask one more question: When I was in Vienna in 2007 and again in 2013 I visited a wonderful store of music supply and all sort of merchandise with musical symbols as well as posters of composers and bust statues of famous composers not only Mozart and Strauss but many other and in various sizes. The problem is I don't remember it's name. It was very close to the opera I belive it was in Tegetthoffstraße but I didn't find it on google and in google maps it seems the building is under renovation and no trace for the store. Do you have any idea what I'm talking about?
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 05:12 AM

Could the store you are looking for be Musik Müller on Krugerstraße? We drop in periodically for sheet music; though, to be honest I don't pay much attention to what else is going on in the store.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 07:12 AM

1. https://www.viennaairport.com/en/shops
scroll down to „Mr. Mobile“ Arrivals.
The shops are literally right after leaving baggage claims through the color coded Customs exits.
Not sure if Mr. Mobile has the „best deal“ in town for SIM cards, though.
Don‘t expect large store fronts. Both shops are small, one in the center of the landside arrivals area. There is a map function via above‘s link.
Otherwise you find tons of mobile phone stores in town.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 08:42 AM
Zvi
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fourfortravel
Could the store you are looking for be Musik Müller on Krugerstraße? We drop in periodically for sheet music; though, to be honest I don't pay much attention to what else is going on in the store.
Definitely not but thanks for the tip. To be specific I'm looking for bust statues of composers and the bigger ones, not the small Mozart or J. Strauss you can find anywhere. I need some presents for friends and I remember this store vividly and favorably but I'll drop in to Muller as well. Nothing to loose
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 08:44 AM
Zvi
Original Poster

Thank you Cowboy 1986! That's a start! Going to read!
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 09:25 AM

Was the music store Doblinger? They have a lot of souvenir/gift type merchandise and it's not too far from the OPera

https://www.doblinger.at/en/Home.htm

As far as that exhibition, that kind of touring exhibition of reproductions/show has been done before by that same creative team, so if you read the review of the prior one (Sistine Chapel), maybe that will give you an idea in general.

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts/visu...r-park-thought
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Zvi
Original Poster

[QUOTE=Christina;16800395]Was the music store Doblinger? They have a lot of souvenir/gift type merchandise and it's not too far from the OPera

https://www.doblinger.at/en/Home.htm

Not that either which happens to be just in front of my hotel ....
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 05:38 AM
Zvi
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WeisserTee
We're thinking of going to the Votivkirche this week, will give a quick report if we do.
WeisserTee, Did you eventually visit the exhibition?

fourfortravel - what about you?
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 07:18 AM

I walked past Votivkirche last week and took a couple of pretty snaps of the church against the blue skies, but could not be inspired to drop the €18 to see paintings up close that I have already seen in their "native" environment, sorry.