Trip to Turkey, Syria and Iran

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our son works in Tehran and we want to use this opportunity to visit Iran while he is there.  At the same time we would like to see some of Turkey and the Middle East. We are in our early seventies, in reasonably good shape and don't need to skimp..., but want good value for our money.    I don't have access to guide books at the moment (am spending the winter in Mexico), so I am asking my questions here.  First of all this is our 'draft' itinerary. Book a return flight from Toronto to Istanbul early May. Spend a week in Istanbul, then take the train to Aleppo, Syria. Spend some time in Aleppo, then take the train to Damascus. Spend a week in Damascus, then fly to Tehran. Spend two weeks in Iran, then take the train from Tehran back to Istanbul for our flight back home, possibly spending some more time in Turkey.  All together we are looking at about 6 weeks.  Here are my questions:

-  visas for Turkey and Syria, do we have to get those in Canada? - visa for Iran: any Canadians applied lately and any idea how long it takes?

- according to 'themaninseat61' the train from Istanbul to Aleppo has not been running for a while and we can only get to Adana (which I believe is at the Syrian border) and from there we can take buses or a taxi to Aleppo, after having spent the night in Adana.  Anyone done this recently, is this still the situation?  Recommendation for hotel in Adana?
  - how much time to spend in Aleppo, would a few days suffice?  Any hotel recommendations?

- we do have a contact in Damascus, who will put us up and help with while there, but we wonder if we should go into Jordan as well, when we are so close..

- finally on the train back to Istanbul from Tehran, should we get off some other place to see a bit more of Turkey?

I will post this on the Middle East forum as well.  Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 07:12 PM

We paid for our Turkish visa at the Istanbul airport: they accept only US dollars, euros or local currency. We paid $20 per person for the visa.
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael. I just realize we will need a multiple entry visa, if we go back to Turkey from Iran. I wonder if we can just get another visa at the Iranion/Turkey border? Anyone know?
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Oops, I just did the smart thing and visited the embassy sites in Ottawa... We can indeed get the visa for Turkey at the border and it will be for multiple entries, hurrah! For Syria we have to go through the process here in Canada, will take a week to ten days, not too bad. If only Iran were that simple...
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Dear Henniej,

Adana is not at the Syrian border but about 150 kilometers to Antakya, the nearest city to Syria, which is another 40 kilometers away from the border crossing at yayladag.

The train to Adana takes very long. I strongly recommend flying to Adana, gaziantep or urfa from istanbul with a morning flight and continueing to Syria by bus or even a train possibly from Urfa or Gaziantep. Check TCDDY the Turkish railways timetable.

If you fly to adana and would like to do some sightseeing, continue by bus to Antakya, spend the night at savon hotel, visit the terrific mosaics at the museum and have dinner at harbiye waterfalls. Beware the very hot peppers but dive into the best Kunefe. If you have to stay at Adana, there is a nice Hilton.

Do you have to take the train from Iran to istanbul? it is so long!!! And there is nothing interesting on the way unless you are willing to get off, rent a car and drive, to hattusas or cappadocia.

In any case, i will check the route of the train again, to make sure.

we have not been to syria at all but wish to go soon. we hear it is terrific, but a week in aleppo may be unnecessary and the time better spent going to Jordan for some of the antique sites which are also strongly recommended.