Trip to Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Switzerland

Author: cutestone
Date: 12/31/2005, 10:37 pm

My husband and I are in the process of planning a trip to Switzerland. The length of time is open. These are the places we'd like to visit: Zurich, St. Gallen, Appenzell, Guarda and/or Tarasp, St. Moritz, Thun, and Luzern. We'd also like to take the Bernia Express to Tirano, and the Glacier Express. Any help with an itinerary, places to stay, or other, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You are a quick study This is much better.

What time of year?
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:29 PM

I stayed in Appenzell at the Hotel Tübli. The restaurant was great - some of the best food we had and reasonably priced. They offered traditional Swiss food but also other cuisines such as Italian. It was on a side street and close to the main square and train station.

Appenzell is a beautiful town and we took a daytrip from there to St. Gallen. Appenzell was quaint and quiet and St. Gallen was much bigger. you could stay in either place and daytrip to the other. We spent our time at St. Gallen in the old town. The churches were beautiful. You might want to consider adding a second day trip to Stein am Rhein. Have fun!

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:53 PM

Hello again. Swandav's reply to your original post gives you a good place to start. I'm fascinated by the "length of time is open" bit. ahhh, if only.

Oh my, how wonderful it would be if you could base in five different regions (she says being entirely impractical): Based in Rapperswil (to visit Zurich, Appenzell, Lucerne via the Rapperswil-Arth route, and St. Gallen), Zuoz (visiting Guarda, St. Moritz, and Poschiavo), Locarno (visiting Lugano, Bellinzona, Ascona), Vevey or Lausanne (visiting Chillon, Gruyeres, the lavaux), Thun (visiting the Oberland, Brienz, Bern,) and finally near the flughafen with visits to Regensberg or Stein am Rhein. All by train, of course. Is this a wish list or what? Welcome, cutestone. We can always find room for another Switzerland devotee or two. J.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:55 PM

Excellent post...have fun in Switzerland!
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As I mentioned in another post, I am only familiar with Geneva, Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux, Gruyeres...

(but by posting this message it will bring yours back to the top, so more people may notice it).
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:51 PM

Hello cutie!

Will you be flying in/out of Zurich? Do you know yet what time your flight would leave to go back home?

If your departing plane is in the morning, you may wish to stay near the airport (perhaps Glattbrugg) or in Zurich the last night to be closer. These days it seems you can never get to airports too early.

You have picked a lovely country to visit. Keep asking your questions. There's lots of wonderful advice to be had here.

Have fun with your planning!

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:26 AM

Topping again for you. Do take a look at the sbb.ch website (Swiss trains) with a good Swiss map in hand. If you spend four nights in each of the regions represented in my dream itinerary, that will be 20 nights plus your last night in Zurich or my favorite small town near the airport, Bulach. If you'd like a brief intro into the contrasts that itinerary provides, take a look at Burt Wolf's pages on Switzerland (there are 12 different ones) at

http://www.burttravels.com/travels2.htm

Later, J. (sixtyish, but don't tell a soul.)
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, jmw44!! I found a great tour on Adventures Abroad. It's a 14 day tour, and I can use my AmEx points for the flight.
Just wanted you to know that I am a Texas Ex and had the time of my life last night!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:03 PM

cutestone - couldn't agree more. Doesn't get much better than that! Hook 'em!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 01:09 AM

Another possible hotel in Appenzeel would be the Romantik Santis which is situated directly on the town square.

Don't miss the abbey church (and if possible the Library) in St. Gallen.

If you are traveling by rail you can easily get all over Switzerland in a matter of a few hours; the country is about the size of West Virginia.

Fopr excellent budget hotels in Switzerland be sure to look at the www.rooms.ch site
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:22 AM

Glad to hear you've found something to suit your needs. Perhaps you'll be so enchanted by Switzerland that you'll want to return on your own in the future. (and congrats on the victory.) J.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:58 AM

You will love Switzerland and would always want to return there
We flew in from Dallas end December and stayed at Hotel Arielle, quaint little family owned hotel in quiet side street very near to central station and easy walking distance over the bridge spanning the river Raining and we boarded the trams.bus sightseeing the town Took day trip with Myer through scenic country down to Luxemburg -details at hotel
Take care please at Zurich Airport...
bag snatchers by youth initiated by older man who tries to draw your attention away from your bag and luggage !!!!